Dapol A3 photo review

Andy Y

In those days the Farish V2 did not exist, and nobody has ever made a kit so to have a V2 there was little choice other than to have a go yourself as I did. Now we do have the Farish one and for it's faults it is still a pretty good model so personally I wouldn't even attempt an A3 conversion :scratchhead:

For the sake of nostalgia, here's a pic of my one...all I can say in retrospect is oh dear!!

Not 'oh dear' Roy - a nice little job! And a nice paint job too.

I would agree with Roy that using the Dapol A3 to make a V2 would be hard, and not the best way to get an improved V2. At the risk of going OT, the Farish V2 can be improved with a few simple modifications - lowering the bodyshell on the chassis and cylinders, front end detail, new coal. Replacing the chassis weight with lead or partly with lead improves the pulling power. I've also done double chimney variants, and variants with outside steampipes representing some whose middle cylinder casting was replaced as they wore out. One of my more standard modified ones (lowered, front end detail, renumbered) below though:

gallery_7627_400_8312.jpg

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

My Wild Swan is on the way, and I pre-ordred Lemburg. I have only one gripe, which is really nit-picky and might be exagerated by the large photos.'

Is it just me or do the flectors look a bit chunky? It appears that they are plastic maybe? I would have figured brass would have been used.

Hi Seanem,

Brass would have been ideal, but, and here the usual suspects will probably shoot me down, we have to make a model as robust as possible to withstand transport, drop tests, and rough/careless handling and as they are not supported, unlike 9f or Britannia enough plastic has to go on it to make it stronger.

I would hope that this won't detract too much and that one of the more pro active cottage industries out there can produce etched brass replacements before too long.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Seanem,

Brass would have been ideal, but, and here the usual suspects will probably shoot me down, we have to make a model as robust as possible to withstand transport, drop tests, and rough/careless handling and as they are not supported, unlike 9f or Britannia enough plastic has to go on it to make it stronger.

I would hope that this won't detract too much and that one of the more pro active cottage industries out there can produce etched brass replacements before too long.

Cheers

Dave

Dave

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but can you give any update on when the first two A3s will hit the shops?

Many thanks

Roy

Hi Roy,

Just to give you some clarification regarding the A3's (and anyone else interested for that matter). The press samples came in and were sent to magazines etc before i had a chance to inspect them.

subsequently i was mortified to read that the paint specification hadnt been adheered to.

So i have delayed the shipping of these models and asked for the tenders to be re-done with the correct lining position, black coal rails and tender logo relocated slightly lower to take into acocunt the new lining position.

This meamns that instead of them being here this next wekk or so, they will be about 2 weeks away (we are flying them in as a priority).

sorry for the delay but i hope you understand that i'd rather they were corrected on such a nice model.

Cheers

Dave :locomotive:

sorry for the delay but i hope you understand that i'd rather they were corrected on such a nice model.

Absolutely. It is great to see such swift action being taken on this. I guess it goes to show the difficulties in working with a remote manufacturing facility.

So i have delayed the shipping of these models and asked for the tenders to be re-done with the correct lining position, black coal rails and tender logo relocated slightly lower to take into acocunt the new lining position.

This is most excellent as it's the main gripe I had and will make a massive visual difference to the model IMHO - I can understand the deflectors needing to be durable - though I plan to change them for a Farish set (unless some etched ones become available quickly from one of the smaller producers).

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Seanem, Brass would have been ideal, but, and here the usual suspects will probably shoot me down, we have to make a model as robust as possible to withstand transport, drop tests, and rough/careless handling and as they are not supported, unlike 9f or Britannia enough plastic has to go on it to make it stronger. I would hope that this won't detract too much and that one of the more pro active cottage industries out there can produce etched brass replacements before too long. Cheers Dave
Dave, it will not effect me purchasing. Actually, as I live in the U.S., robust is good for me. Trans-Atlantic flights are usually not too kind on fragile parts. One last question.... Can you give any hints as to future names we might see, perhaps a Mallard and Scotsman in late crest livery, wink wink.

Hi Roy,

Just to give you some clarification regarding the A3's (and anyone else interested for that matter). The press samples came in and were sent to magazines etc before i had a chance to inspect them.

subsequently i was mortified to read that the paint specification hadnt been adheered to.

This meamns that instead of them being here this next wekk or so, they will be about 2 weeks away (we are flying them in as a priority).

Cheers

Dave :locomotive:

Hi Dave

Thanks for the explanation.

It is to your credit that you have stopped the shipment to correct the error and have no problem waiting a little longer in the circumstances if that is what it takes.

Regards

Roy

Cheers Roy,

It's not something like to go out, and I hate it when it happens, but I'll always try and get it put right.

Changes to the tender, front buffer beam paint finish ( see Andy's 3/4 on frontal shot for close detail), handrail on the smoke box, and a couple of minor issues should be completed by next week.

If I can I'll post a picture here to show the improvements before I get them air freighted into the UK.

Cheers

Dave

If the current GWR Hall Class locomotive (I brought a model of 6953 "Leighton Hall") from Dapol, which I was lucky enough to purchase at the N Gauge show in

Leamington Spa, is anything to go by, the A3 in my opinion should run a treat. I would very happily consider the purchase of one to act as a visitor to my GWR Heritage layout.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave

Thanks for the explanation.

It is to your credit that you have stopped the shipment to correct the error and have no problem waiting a little longer in the circumstances if that is what it takes.

Regards

Roy

If Dave is dialling in at any point, he said he hoped to get the A3s corrected and shipped about two weeks from the post on 18th April and let us see some pics the corrections here first.

Just wondered, as three weeks has now passed since his message if there is any further news/update?

Roy

Hi Roy,

Just back in after a day on the Severn Valley Railway.

I am awaiting the green modified decorations any day now.

The Chinese suggested that rather than drop everything and re-do the BR green ones, it was best to continue with the apple green ones, clear them out then go onto the green re-works.

This seemed logical to me and as such I let them finish the batch of 2 x Apple green ones first.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Hi Roy,

Just back in after a day on the Severn Valley Railway.

I am awaiting the green modified decorations any day now.

The Chinese suggested that rather than drop everything and re-do the BR green ones, it was best to continue with the apple green ones, clear them out then go onto the green re-works.

This seemed logical to me and as such I let them finish the batch of 2 x Apple green ones first.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Hope you had a good day on the SVR - was it recreational or were you laser scanning something :secret: ?

Your answer is entirely logical, practical yet disappointing for those of us itching to get our sticky mits on the BR ones.

Do you have a timescale for the BR ones or is it as yet unknown?.

Oh and at the risk of repeating myself, assuming they are a success (Bound to be!), pleeeasee can you do a late BR "Spearmint" or "Salmon Trout" in final condition with deflectors and cabside stripe?????

Cheers

Roy

Hi Roy,

I rather like cab side stripes!

Can't say about the visit except it was to look at 1 or even 4 things (but not more than 4) :-)

As soon as I have some news on the BR green ones I'll post here.

Cheers

Dave

Oh and at the risk of repeating myself, assuming they are a success (Bound to be!), pleeeasee can you do a late BR "Spearmint" or "Salmon Trout" in final condition with deflectors and cabside stripe?????

Cheers

Roy

Of the three that finished up with cabside stripes-

Salmon Trout had a diagram 94A boiler (banjo) and GN-type tender

Prince Palatine had an A4 boiler with washouts and dome in a different place (didn't stop Farish)

Spearmint had a diagram 94A boiler and new-type tender.

For the really picky, all three had split smokebox door handrails and lowered front numberplate- though by the time I saw Spearmint it had lost its smokebox door for good.... :cry:

All the best

Les

Hi Roy,

I rather like cab side stripes!

Can't say about the visit except it was to look at 1 or even 4 things (but not more than 4) :-)

As soon as I have some news on the BR green ones I'll post here.

Cheers

Dave

Cue speculation - I have my thoughts on your comment Dave - musn't litter up the thread with something unrelated though. If I'm right though I'll feel I have struck gold!

Revised BR Green A3 tender is looking nice!

Hi Paul,

When the catalogue comes out i fear ther will be quite a few raised eyebrows as we will be showing cad/cam dsigns for most of the new items.

However i do know that i am expecting 3 more cad/cams in late June which wont make the catalogue and they are the *$&*& and the "$&% and the *^^^&%&

Maybe i should start a thread and give weekly clues with a prize for the first to guess correctly? A bit like on the old 3,2,1 show.......you know......"its on wheels, has a top, can contain petrol, can travel, likes the outdoors, large capacity.............................nope it's Dusty Bin" :stinker:

cheers

Dave

When the catalogue comes out i fear ther will be quite a few raised eyebrows as we will be showing cad/cam dsigns for most of the new items.

However i do know that i am expecting 3 more cad/cams in late June which wont make the catalogue and they are the *$&*& and the "$&% and the *^^^&%&

Raised eyebrows? Personally I welcome anything that increases the range and diversity of stuff on offer, even if it does not directly relate to the region/period I model.

Besides, if it is nice enough, there always Rule #1. :D

Maybe i should start a thread and give weekly clues with a prize for the first to guess correctly? A bit like on the old 3,2,1 show.......you know......"its on wheels, has a top, can contain petrol, can travel, likes the outdoors, large capacity.............................nope it's Dusty Bin" :stinker:

I for one would really enjoy that, I like nothing better puzzling "ze little grey cells". :scratchhead:

Oooo! Excellent a 321 - yes, please!!!!

NIce idea, it would go well with Dapols class 86s (they ran together out of both Euston and Liverpool street IICR) as well as the Farish 350.

However I am not sure they have any on the SVR. ;)

New tender lining looks the business- sent me scurrying for pics as the old crest looked a little on the massive size.

Eventually found some pics of clean A3s with the right tender and confirm it looks too big on the prototype also..

The surprise was that I thought in early crest times A3s would have been cleaner than later (they weren't) - it seems that when they got double chimneys they were considered worth cleaning, at least for a time......

All the very best

Les

Archived