Hibberd Planet Locomotives

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a photo request.

I'm building one of the Roxey Planet locomotive kits, which makes up quite a nice representation of the Hibberd Planet as preseved at the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.

I've found a couple of pics on the internet of this particular loco - the best is here http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Hibberd_040DM_2102.jpg

It shows some of the details which I'll be adding, but I could really do with a few more snaps. Does anyone have any that they'd be prepared to share - particularly showing the other side of the loco?

Many thanks

Alastair

Adam,

Many thanks - that one didn't come up when I trawled the net for pics. Very useful as it shows the opposite side to the other two photos I had found.

Am starting to think the lack of photos is a good excuse for a family day out to the BRC at Quainton :no:

Cheers

Alastair

Of little use to the OP perhaps, but there is a 7mm scale drawing of an earlier Hibberd in the Oakwood Press book 'Boultons Sidings including Contractors Locomotives', a book of drawings published in their Portfolio Series. The book features all of the drawing from 'The Chronicles of Boultons Sidings' and other drawings from the 'Locomotive Magazine'.

The loco featured resembles the Roxey kit very closely apart from having an open sided cab. It is described as being petrol powered and built in 1930.

Edited by halfwit

I wonder if what you're describing, Paul, is a J&F Howard loco? 1930 may be a little early for a Hibberd but then the Hibberd that the Roxey kit represents was ripped off the Howard design by Hibberd. In fact Hibberd were known for ripping off other peoples designs. Just look at the Guiness 0-4-0DMs - if they aren't a rip off of a Hudswell Clarke then I don't know what is! Then there's the bent-frame narrow gauge petrol locos that were almost a straight copy of the Simplex design. IIRC Simplex took Hibberds to court over it.

• RMweb Premium

I like the later diesel-mechanical Planets too, having built a couple of the 'Y' class petrol locos as narrow gauge models.

Here's one now on the Bowes Railway

http://www.bowesrailway.co.uk/locosandstock/diesel_101.html

There was also a chunky D-H model favoured by the Royal Navy dockyards

Anyone know of a scale drawing as I would like to do on in O gauge?

• 5 months later...

I like the later diesel-mechanical Planets too, having built a couple of the 'Y' class petrol locos as narrow gauge models.

Here's one now on the Bowes Railway

http://www.bowesrail...diesel_101.html

There was also a chunky D-H model favoured by the Royal Navy dockyards

Anyone know of a scale drawing as I would like to do on in O gauge?

No scale drawings seem available, but I did manage to use photographs to estimate leading dimensions - I hope this helps.

These measurements are approximations drawn from photographs using known standard dimensions of gauge, buffer height and buffer centres

6'6" wheelbase

17'8" length over headstocks

6'0" Cab length

10" back of cab to rear headstock

8'4" length over hood

4'4" height of hood

11'3" height over cab (approximated)

8'10" height of cab sidesheet

5'8" rear axle to rear headstock

5'7" front axle to front headstock (make even for front and rear)

9'0" headstocks width

6" clearance headstocks above railhead

7'9" cab width

8'10" cab height above footplate

4'6" height of strip on cabside/cab-back from footplate

Rear windows: 24" wide, 20" high

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It might be worth pointing out that the High Level "Rustler" drive unit, as supplied in our RH 48DS kit may well be suitable for this loco. It drives all wheels and is compensated, the wheelbase is adjustable over a short range.

Michael Edge,

Judith Edge kits

• Like 1

Hi

Some years ago I owned a Planet SCW class shunter Ex Petrofina at Preson docks and restored it to working order transplanting the Dorman engine that had broken its crank with a nice Gardner 6LX. I did have some works drawings, but I am not 100% sure where they are now but I will look next time I pop into my dads where I think they still may be.

I later sold this loco to the chap who owns Titley Junction, I was only down there last Saturday and took the loco down the line for a run, I am due back soon so if there is anything you would like detailed photos or dimensions for please let me know.

http://www.uklocos.c...display&Id=3249 is a link to a photo.

Andy

Edited by Beatty 139
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have now had a mooch through my stuff and I do indeed have some Planet SCW class works drawings, the one I think would have been most useful is as ever missing but as thats the pipework and wiring layout I guess thats the one we used when doing the restoration work, and is in one of my mates lockers in 'safe keeping'

The drawings are noted as SCW Class 75Hp used on loco Serial No. 3686 onwards

I can now though confirm that the Locos have:

5' 6" wheel base

Wheels are 3' 1 1/2 on tyres

Buffer beams 7'10" wide 3' 5" deep x 1 1/4" thick

Frame channel sections 8" x 3 1/2" and are mounted 6' 3" apart rear face to face giving 6' 10" outside face to face

Face to face of buffer beams 14' 10 1/2"

3' 11" rail head to footplating

Engine Hood 3' 2 1/2" across 3' 11" hign above foot plate

Radiator 3' 1" wide over side channels 8" deep and mounted 8 23/32" from rear face of bufferbeam to centreline

As the Drawings are in 1 1/2" and 3" to the foot I can scale a lot of infomation off if someone wants something specific or even copy details such as axleboxes

Hope this helps

Andy

Edited by Beatty 139
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 8 years later...
On 11/10/2012 at 21:12, Beatty 139 said:

Hi

Some years ago I owned a Planet SCW class shunter Ex Petrofina at Preson docks and restored it to working order transplanting the Dorman engine that had broken its crank with a nice Gardner 6LX. I did have some works drawings, but I am not 100% sure where they are now but I will look next time I pop into my dads where I think they still may be.

I later sold this loco to the chap who owns Titley Junction, I was only down there last Saturday and took the loco down the line for a run, I am due back soon so if there is anything you would like detailed photos or dimensions for please let me know.

http://www.uklocos.c...display&Id=3249 is a link to a photo.

Andy

Old thread I know, but I’ve nearly finished building a model of this same loco as originally supplied to Lancashire Tar Distillers at Weaste. 

Interesting to know that it presently has a Gardner 6LX, but originally was fitted with a Dorman.

This model is from the Taff Vale Models 7mm scale kit:

Planet-buffers2.jpg.00201a6cbde81d50e516e920cb35d8f3.jpgPlanet-buffers1.jpg.b3c0a974d9937c5b780d2d3fdad952d2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Have you seen my thread on the one I built some years ago?  I used a chassis/gearbox etch that High Level did for this kit as an 'under the counter' item at the time but I'm sure Chris will be able to still supply it.

• Like 1