British Rail or Ex BR Loco's & Coaching Stock used on the Met Line?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I am trying to find out the BR coaching stock numbers that were used on the Sarah Siddon's special that ran in 82 or 83 from Wembley Park to Watford (I think) and Uxbridge. They were 4/5 Eastern Region Mk IID TSO's and a BSO from what I can remember.

At the same time, I remember at the same time, a class 25 went to Neasden Depot as LT were interested in possibly buying 3, does anyone ever recall what that one was. I have a feeling it was 25325 but probably way off.

Apart from the 4-TC set that is used, are there any ex BR coaching stock used by LUL on specials.

Any help would be much apprieciated,

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Premium

IIRC a few weeks ago a film was posted on the District Dave website of 'Sarah' hauling some maroon Mk 2's. The locomotives that LT were considering were class 20's, the class 25's had all been withdrawn.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry Phil, you are wrong on that one, I clearly remember being in Neasden yard watching the Class 25 going up and down the yard, blarring the two tones. It was over a weekend in 82/83, so BR still had plenty of Class 25's in service or stored.

The reason they were turned down was rotting in the cabs and the fact they needed serious engine work. One of the main reasons BR were getting rid of them.

I used to have several pictures of it but ex wives and girlfriends, they accidently got thrown out I expect.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a list of ex BR Coaching stock that LUL still have and were used on excursions on the Metropolitan Line.

35011 MKI BSK (Former Brake Force DB977588)

76324 MKI DSO (Former TSO 4009) Part of 4-TC Set 428

70823 MKI TBSK (Former BSK 34970) Part of 4-TC Set 412

71163 MKI TFK (Former FK 13097) Part of 4-TC Set 430

76297 MKI DSO (Former TSO 3938) Part of 4-TC Set 415

They have been painted in Maroon and stored at LUL West Ruislip. They are understood to be out of use since 2003 and starting to deteriorate.

4-VEP #3457 in NSE livery along with DB977588 (35011) in LUL livery was used in 1990 on the Chesham Anniversary shuttles. In 1991, a Class 305 or 308 was used alongside DB977588 and a ex BR MK II, again in LUL livery.

• RMweb Gold

I have no idea but bearing in mind that they have not been used since 2003, and if they have been stored outside, I would say unlikely.

LU had 2 sets of former 4TC stock, though mixed vehicles. 1 set was disposed of some years back for preservation. The other has seen some use and has been vinyled in a psuedo wooodgrain finish. I believe they are now at Eastleigh for refurb ready for next year's events.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

LU had 2 sets of former 4TC stock, though mixed vehicles. 1 set was disposed of some years back for preservation. The other has seen some use and has been vinyled in a psuedo wooodgrain finish. I believe they are now at Eastleigh for refurb ready for next year's events.

Stewart

Yes they were towed West Ruislip-EH by GBRf 66.711 on 18th Jan this year - no idea when overhaul is due to be completed

• RMweb Gold

I got the information off the Vintage Carriage Trust website vintagecarriagetrust.org but I am not sure how up to date it is. It would be great to see them running again, though in LT "Bus Red" lol

• RMweb Gold

Did they head south on those pics, then go down the Greenford branch to access the Great Western ML?

Good excuse have a Bachmann GBRf Class 66 on the layout, shame the Metronet one's are being repainted.

• RMweb Gold

Did they head south on those pics, then go down the Greenford branch to access the Great Western ML?

Good excuse have a Bachmann GBRf Class 66 on the layout, shame the Metronet one's are being repainted.

Yes, ever since the re-signalling earlier this year, the down line is reversible between West Ruislip and South Ruislip. It means trains don't have to cross over from the headshunt at LUL/NR interface onto the up line, and then cross the down line again at South Ruislip.

With so many fast Turbos every few minutes it also means extras like this HAVE to run in their slot or potentially wait forever! It also scores in the 'prototype for everything' department!

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The other LUL 4-TC set is at Butterley at the Midland Railway Center but I have to say, having been seen from a train and with the weeds around the bogies, in poor condition.

Julian Sprott

The 4-TC set at Butterley is nominally for the Swanage railway, but without the funds coming in faster than the storage bills nothing is likely to happen - create a standing order to support them at

http://www.4tc.org.uk/413/index.php

I thought the intercity liveried MK2's that were used on a battery electric tour in the 80's on the district were Gatwick Express ones? The first few years of Steam on the Met used coaches hired in from NSE, but I don;t have the details to hand, later it was discovered cheaper to buy ex-REP/TC and mk2 coaches than hire for a couple of weekends.

Jon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon, I would love to support the 4-TC Set preservation project but as i'm disabled and on benefits and pensions, I have to watch every penny.

The set used on 1982 Sarah Siddons tour were Eastern Region Mk IID's and later they used a NSE 4-VEP with the shoes lifted, and a year later, a NSE Class 308 (I think) with the pantograph locked down.

Julian Sprott

• RMweb Gold

This is a reply to the same question post on the District Dave's website;

Test/gauging run between battery locos L18 and L38 on 25/4/82.

Coaches for first tour (5/9/82)

E9479, E5668, E5633, E5829, E5628 (four other coaches also to Ruislip but not used - E5621, E3250, E14143, E3232).

Coaches for second tour (19/8/82)

E9489, E5665, E5642, E5679, E5855 (four other coaches also to Ruislip but not used - E5668, E3175, E14153, E3183).

Both coaching sets were transferred to Ruislip on the day before (Saturday) having come off the 10.41 Great Yarmouth to Liverpool Street on both occasions.

Thanks to District Dave's website.

Julian Sprott

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure there is a picture of a class 25 being examined by Underground staff in one of the loco yards in the Book red panniers , it said that the idea was dropped because of Body rot on the Loco will look out the book when I have some time ,hope this helps with your enquiry about 25s on the underground

Archived