coachmann

Larry,

Whats that 'D' bus doing in Greenfield - a bit off route don't you think ?

For the un-familiar the 'D' bus ran from Rhodes Bank (Oldham) to the Gardner's Arms on the Chadderton/ Manchester Boundary near to the AVRO's later BAE factory. BTW what happened to 'Rhodes Bank' seems to have disappeared from the local vocabulary and maps.

Greenfield station was originally a small wayside station on a mainline. When the Oldham Branch arrived the station was extended. Following years of complaints about amenities the station was later extended. All this rebuilding and extending shows in the brickwork, which varies from Random stone to 'Cotswold' stone to Dressed stone.

Moving along from the coal shutes, the next job is the goods shed, a peculiarly shaped building and actually rather long. The real shed dominated the site but space limitations means the model will be shorter than scale. I must place on record my debt of tanks to Mr.Fox (of the original Delph book fame) at Saddleworth Museum, who has greatly assisted with useful photos and drawings. Also old friend David Beilby whose 1970's photos provide valuable information as to how things were.

Larry G.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Larry. I didn't know this thread existed so it's been an enjoyable read-through. As with many of the best threads, lots of detail and how-it's-done photos. You've visited my thread often enough - I will now watch progress here!

I'm jealous, actually, as you are well ahead of me with the track going down. :sungum:

Cheers,

Jeff

Hi Larry

Just found this thread and read it all the way through and look forward to seeing it progress. I too have just started laying some track (Peco 75) so am keen to see what the final result is like, I am also trying it without the rail joiners as I just don't think they look right but I do wonder if I should of waited to see the finish with ballast first.

Your progress is a lot faster than mine too.

Jim

Welcome Physicsman and Aberdere. Re track laying without fishplates Aberdare, I suppose you could fit them just to line the rails up, particularly essential on curves, then lever them off once the ballast is holding everything firmly in place. The current Greenfield has Code 75 mostly, Code 83 for longer points and Code 100 ready for mating with track outside the shed. Now it is all ballasted I have a job seeing the difference and could have made life easier for myself by adopting just Code 100 and code 83. No doubt the differences would show up in rail level photographs!

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Physicsman and Aberdere. Re track laying without fishplates Aberdare, I suppose you could fit them just to line the rails up, particularly essential on curves, then lever them off once the ballast is holding everything firmly in place. The current Greenfield has Code 75 mostly, Code 83 for longer points and Code 100 ready for mating with track outside the shed. Now it is all ballasted I have a job seeing the difference and could have made life easier for myself by adopting just Code 100 and code 83. No doubt the differences would show up in rail level photographs!

You will indeed be pleased you used code 75 when it comes to rail level photos Larry. I found that out on my last layout. And your scenic modelling is on a par with your coach building skills. I don't know how you do it, and so quickly too.When does the outdoor section get started?

• RMweb Premium

Bl***y hell, Larry, that is very good. I take great encouragement from the opening words..."never having made a building before..." - exactly the position I'm in. Bit of common-sense, improvisation and an outline plan and - presto. Good stuff.

Btw, I like the embankment and coal chute. The variation of levels is working well with your layout.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Where are you buying your windows and guttering?

I've just ordered a "scratchbuider's guide" ("Scratch built buildings" - a BRM paperback), so I may try building a goods Shed sometime in the near future. A secondary platform waiting room is also on the cards. We'll see!

Keep up the informative narrative! Hopefully, I'll be off the viaducts by the end of the week (in KL) and considering some track laying... will be nice to have a change.

Jeff

Blimey! You don't hang about do you. I'm still fiddling about laying a few bits of track.

The goods shed looks very good and I am impressed by how quickly you did it especially when there was also a difficult roof section to do, I look forward to seeing it progress.

Jim

Window frames and guttering are from the Ratio & Wills combined catalogue. I order nearly all my requirements from Bob at Alton Model Centre. There is maybe a company somewhere that produces etched window frames, which are preferable.

On the subject of brass etchings, does anyone know if ornate fittings like wall mounted oil lamp brackets and platform canopy supports are available anywhere?

• RMweb Gold

Window frames and guttering are from the Ratio & Wills combined catalogue. I order nearly all my requirements from Bob at Alton Model Centre. There is maybe a company somewhere that produces etched window frames, which are preferable.

On the subject of brass etchings, does anyone know if ornate fittings like wall mounted oil lamp brackets and platform canopy supports are available anywhere?

Quite a few producers of this kind of stuff. ScaleLink have a good range.

Bill Beford does custom etches at a very reasonable price if you provide him with a drawing.

Guest Max Stafford

Looking proper lived-in now, Larry. All that soot and sandstone can only indicate a part of Lancashire dangerously close to Yorkshire! :P :good:

Proper job!

Dave.

Max Stafford :

All that soot and sandstone can only indicate a part of Lancashire dangerously close to Yorkshire!

The other way round Dave..... Greenfield was in the West Riding of Yorkshire where stone construction tended to be favoured rather than brick as in neighbouring Lancashire.

Larry, that is fantastic! The painting & weathering you have done has completely transformed the model, it just goes to show how good the plastic sheets can look if finished well. I too will be working from photographs and this shows me what can be achieved.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Archived