Evercreech New O gauge

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sad to say but this layout is to go the same way as the real thing and be ripped up.

Not quite so, as I understand it. It's already been carefully taken apart and moved to Yeovil (I think?) Club, where it's to be largely re-assembled and incorporated into another of their layouts.

It should therefore remain as a testament to Julian Birley's skill and artistry, and though probably only accessible on a limited basis, it's at least still surviving.

Spent a very pleasant day last year operating it on it's last 'public' appearance, when open to the public at a Charity event for the village.

A few pics I took of the layout last year,

post-18627-0-14454600-1439896263_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-01822200-1439896265_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-62803200-1439896267_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-14278100-1439896269_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-30528900-1439896273_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-24725000-1439896275_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-59111300-1439896276_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-09156700-1439896282_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-13676400-1439896330_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-53552500-1439896332_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-43162700-1439896334_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-49651900-1439896336_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-47394900-1439896338_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-16509800-1439896342_thumb.jpg

it was surreal to see the model of Ivo Peters' Bentley on the layout,

post-18627-0-00758800-1439896328_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-92055000-1439896356_thumb.jpg

then to walk outside and see the real thing - actually being able to touch history

post-18627-0-76275500-1439896283_thumb.jpg

Julian also had a model of his Quarry Hunslett 'Alice' running on the layout.

post-18627-0-27439800-1439896354_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-91016200-1439896323_thumb.jpg

I don't think the layout will ever be exhibited, as the boards were not designed for it, but I suspect there will be open days to view, once it's back up and running.

I will try to find out more from a mate who knows more about it than I.

Peter

• Like 7

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Not quite so, as I understand it. It's already been carefully taken apart and moved to Yeovil (I think?) Club, where it's to be largely re-assembled and incorporated into another of their layouts.

By way of an update I can report that during the summer of 2016 the 5 scenic boards we have were re-wired, the point motors replaced with servos and the control panel was wired up.

In this limited form we were able to display it at our open day in July, one engine in steam and a few wagons and coaches.  Recently we even had it running on DCC.

Last night we erected the fiddle yard from The Summit, another of the Group's O gauge layouts, from the stillages following its recent outing to Warley.  We then moved the Evercreech New baseboards into position so that we can start to work out what new woodwork will be needed to connect it to The Summit's fiddle yard.  At a glance we may need 8 - 10 new running boards, one or two of which will have a viaduct.

As the above was already planned when we were buying box steel section to make baseboard legs for another layout we bought enough to use on Evercreech New as well.  It shouldn't take too much work to install them.

As far as scenic work is required we plan to add new lightweight boards both front and back, 18 inches and 4 feet respectively, to create a wider scene.

I believe that the long term aim for the revamped layout is to be able to accept invites to exhibitions.  This might not be for a while so don't hold your breath.

Sorry no pictures today but might be able to provide some as the project proceeds, if anyone's interested of course.  Alternatively keep an eye on this Facebook page for updates

https://www.facebook.com/yeovilmodelrailwaygroup

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

By way of an update I can report that during the summer of 2016 the 5 scenic boards we have were re-wired, the point motors replaced with servos and the control panel was wired up.

In this limited form we were able to display it at our open day in July, one engine in steam and a few wagons and coaches.  Recently we even had it running on DCC.

Last night we erected the fiddle yard from The Summit, another of the Group's O gauge layouts, from the stillages following its recent outing to Warley.  We then moved the Evercreech New baseboards into position so that we can start to work out what new woodwork will be needed to connect it to The Summit's fiddle yard.  At a glance we may need 8 - 10 new running boards, one or two of which will have a viaduct.

As the above was already planned when we were buying box steel section to make baseboard legs for another layout we bought enough to use on Evercreech New as well.  It shouldn't take too much work to install them.

As far as scenic work is required we plan to add new lightweight boards both front and back, 18 inches and 4 feet respectively, to create a wider scene.

I believe that the long term aim for the revamped layout is to be able to accept invites to exhibitions.  This might not be for a while so don't hold your breath.

Sorry no pictures today but might be able to provide some as the project proceeds, if anyone's interested of course.  Alternatively keep an eye on this Facebook page for updates

https://www.facebook.com/yeovilmodelrailwaygroup

very interesting. I suddenly noticed the window frames on the back on the building, which were of particular interest. Are there any photos of the back of the main station building as it appears to have a different style of window frame to the rest of the northern part of the line, which makes it very interesting (well to me who is into the buildings)

very interesting. I suddenly noticed the window frames on the back on the building, which were of particular interest. Are there any photos of the back of the main station building as it appears to have a different style of window frame to the rest of the northern part of the line, which makes it very interesting (well to me who is into the buildings)

I don't have any photos at this time but could take my camera when I go to the club next week and take some closeups.

By "the back" do you mean the station approach side, as shown in photo DCSF0807 in reply 9 above?

Maybe between EN and the Summit what you will need is a model of Masbury ??? :-)

• RMweb Premium

I don't have any photos at this time but could take my camera when I go to the club next week and take some closeups.

By "the back" do you mean the station approach side, as shown in photo DCSF0807 in reply 9 above?

Yes, Those at Midsomer, Chilcompton, Binegar and Evercreech are all plain, whereas those shown here on the roadside are more ornate. It really is an exquisite model and I'm glad you are getting to look after it and make sure if keeps going.

• 2 years later...

Work continues on this project with the construction of new baseboards to link the station / scenic section to the fiddle yard and viaducts are being created from laser-cut MDF.  Given that everything is in O gauge nothing is small, especially 2 of the new boards.

For information the layout is booked to attend Rail-Ex at Taunton this coming October.  It is planned to be fully operational, well that's what the layout manager is expecting.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

As a progress update Evercreech New has recently been attached at both ends to the fiddle yard also used for 'The Summit' and track laid and wired up.   On August 25th we were able to run our first train through Evercreech New and happily the moment was captured on video:

The engine is Bob Alderman's lovely 9F on a longish coal train.   One of the extension boards has a model of the eleven arch Prestleigh Viaduct and the other a model of the rather unusual Pecking Mill Viaduct with its unequal arches on the widened side.   Whilst 'The Summit' is currently erected in preparation for its visit to Fareham Rail-Ex in early October, work continues on Evercreech New with the steel stillages being constructed to transport the layout safely, the huge task of painting of Prestleigh Viaduct is in hand, and a model of Allen's Bridge that was so close to Pecking Mill Viaduct is well advanced.   Evercreech New is indeed booked for Taunton Rail-Ex later in October, and will appear with a selection of S&D trains, but in something of a YMRG tradition will be exhibited as a work in progress at its first outing.

1485971986_FarmBridgeOuter.jpg.3d4b0c9d0b9fee846f8f60fae81e05e8.jpg

As something of a teaser this is a 3D CAD for the Allen's Bridge outer girder - although this is not expected to be ready in time for Taunton:  As it was a skew bridge the railings were not symmetrical.

Steve

YMRG Webmaster

• Like 6

Funnily enough the Bath Road viaduct is only a couple of hundred yards from where I'm typing this - I used to take a regular lunchtime walk over it in the 1980s before it was all barricaded off.   Our model of Pecking Mill Viaduct is effectively a very long stiff beam that despite appearances does fully support the trackbed; in contrast the viaduct on 'The Summit'  just dangles from the trackbed!

:-)

Edited by Steve Smith