BR (ScR) Semaphore Signals 1968

'CHARD

There seems to be plenty of signal talk on here at the moment. Instead of continuing to hijack the thread linked below, I need to ask a question.

In December 1966, BR(ScR) scoped out a proposal to replace Galashiels' pre-war colour lights with semaphores. This was all part of the standardisation process, and was partially a result of five years' rationalisation that had occasioned closure of the local Peebles and Selkirk branches.

My question is, what type of 'new' semaphores would have been installed in 1967 or '68? I mean their physical appearance. NBL pattern ones would not be remanufactured, surely, and redundant assets would have been scrapped, so what did the pattern of signal look like in the period? Other areas were presumably having new semaphores installed as part of similar track layout simplification/ singling etc.

Originally I had in mind using LNER spotlight signals, but for my 1968-set fictional Waverley themed layout I think using BR standard semaphores will tell a story in itself.

Many thanks in advance for all input to this! ;)

The original premise is all in the dialogue or the links from it that can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/5860-shankend-signal-box/page__pid__48257__st__0entry48257

Guest stuartp

I'd hazard a guess at BR/Railway Signal Co round posts for any new installations, but it is just a guess.

Unfortunately all the Scottish examples of replacement posts I can think off are on ex-LMS lines and might in fact be LMS replacements rather than BR replacements. However, at the ex-LNER boxes I used to work, ER practice was to use BR/RSC round posts for renewals.

Thanks as ever, gang.

Immediately to the right of this 'ere laptop is a box of LMS Round Post Signals by Ratio. This arrived in a mixed lot and I have been 'about to list it on eBay' for as long as I can remember.

Maybe I should get a bit of practice in and put these four together, then when I've established who are preferred suppliers of BR Standard round-post semaphores (and calculated what variants I need), I'll be beyond entry-level.

Colour light or semaphore? The Ratio LMS signal kits are very similar to the modern semaphore signals installed by BR/Railtrack/Network Rail. Just paint the posts silver rather than white.

A bit like this from another current thread!!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks as ever, gang.

Immediately to the right of this 'ere laptop is a box of LMS Round Post Signals by Ratio. This arrived in a mixed lot and I have been 'about to list it on eBay' for as long as I can remember.

Maybe I should get a bit of practice in and put these four together, then when I've established who are preferred suppliers of BR Standard round-post semaphores (and calculated what variants I need), I'll be beyond entry-level.

A bit like this from another current thread!!!

Get MSE brass bits .. more robust when you motorise them ..

Archived