"Steam on the Cambrian" my new modular layout

Dukedog

• RMweb Premium

Ooohhh!  I do like that, Frank.

Lovely.

It's great to see your wild flowers looking so natural; so rare, I had begun to think that it was going to be nigh on impossible.

I feel more tempted to have a go myself, now.

That definitely deserves a word of thanks.

Polly

What a smashing layout! Lots of detail do you live near the area modelled Frank?

To be honest no I don't, I live about as far from the sea as you can get! I'm in the Midlands.

However we do get over that way a few times a year and have done since I was a small child and the line through Penmaenpool was still open.

all gone now of course but it's well recorded in various books on the Cambrian section of BR.

Ooohhh!  I do like that, Frank.

Lovely.

It's great to see your wild flowers looking so natural; so rare, I had begun to think that it was going to be nigh on impossible.

I feel more tempted to have a go myself, now.

That definitely deserves a word of thanks.

Polly

Polly,

The flowers are nothing special, I use a method similar to the one described in British Railway Modelling a few months back. except I use fuse wire for the stalks instead of brush bristles.

If you want to see how it's done look in my external blog    http://dukedog9017.blogspot.co.uk/2013_04_01_archive.html and scroll down to the entry on 1st April.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Frank

• 1 month later...

One of the dominant features of my previous layout Pen Y Bont, was a burnt out brake van.

This item was always an item of great interest when I took the layout to exhibitions, the number of people who took pictures of it was amazing. Thing is though I have never seen any published on the 'net!

Anyway, the burnt out brake was not sold with the layout and has found a new home on Morfa Bach to "Rust in peace"

8666237140_2b2d5bde76_z.jpg

8665136699_76aa50291d_z.jpg

Parked in the disused ballast/PW siding one of my favourite features lives on!

Cheers

Frank

A bit more progress made this weekend!
Flaming June has arrived at last! and with fine weather instead of lighting up the bar-B-Q I get out the saw bench for some serious "wood butchering"

With a deadline of September 28th looming I need to get the layout finished and presentable, I also need some sort of layout lighting.
So I came up with this idea.
8915932883_b16903aae2_o.jpg

8916548832_32e394a66a_o.jpg

I got the idea from a fish aquarium I used to have with a lift up hood.
The pictures show the hood raised for showing, the hood folds down and locks into position as a lid for transport.The gap between hood and back scene will eventually be filled with a removable "sky"
Under the hood are three x 15W low energy light bulbs which I am experimenting with, the use of which was inspired by Chris Nevard who uses something similar.
You can also see on the pictures the "top section" of framing which will eventually surround the module.

I am also seriously considering moving the switch panel from the back to the front so I can operate the layout from the front at shows. Giving me more chance to chat to the punters. 
Just another module to do the same thing to, one fiddle yard to build and extensions for those trestles to make!
More soon
Frank

Very nice. I like operating from the front, if the design of layout allows it.

Could the "frame" at the sides be extended further down, at least to the lower fascia? It would look more complete and hide the end of the sky. 

The lighting looks nice and even, but it's hard to judge the colour in the pictures - it looks quite yellow, but that is directly compared to natural daylight, which is rather unfair!

John - I have built four modules/dioramas with a similar design and the physical size is what makes them awkward to move rather than the weight. I would expect that once the module is complete, it will be a comfortable two-man lift. But if you're on your own, then it's a slow deep breath and quietly does it!!! I find that anything deeper than about 400mm or higher than about 500mm is a struggle to get through doors when I am carrying one by myself (doors are only 750mm which leaves me and my stomach only 350mm to move in). Really like the lift up roof and integral lighting - keeps the dust etc off what will be a delicate and complex layout to clean each time.

To me, the lighting looks a little too yellow but that's because I have gone through four batches of LEDs to get my lighting the way I like it. But it's all subjective and as long as it is lit for shows, a massive improvement over none at all. (But now the lighting looks completely different to what was posted in #130 on 23 April.)

• RMweb Gold

That sets it off very nicely Frank, and should protect the layout in transit. Weight can be a problem but the trestles are separate so that will help. Regarding the lighting. It is a great help if the layout and workbench lighting match.

Don

Thanks for the comments  chaps.

The question of weight is not a problem the hood is made from 10 amd 4mm ply so weighs very little.

like I said it is multi function, it keeps the layout protected when closed and acts as a frame and lighting rig when open.

The hood or "Lid" if you like is easily removed in seconds for any maintenance, modeling or photography.

As for set up times. I can working on mu own probably erect the layout in less than 15 minutes, not a single nut and bolt anywhere,

it all assembles using dowels for align ment and over centre catches for holding the boards together.

Electrical jumper cables are on the BACK plane of the base boards, NOT below them so I don't have to get under the layout to plug in the jumpers.
All the electronics and control panels are built into the boards so no separate control box, just a metal box containing the transformers which stands on the floor.

As for getting in and out of exhibition halls, no problem, each module is only 12" (300mm) wide and is easily moved using my collapsible sack truck. 

It will take longer to put out the stock than set up the layout..

The lighting is still experimental I am going to try and get some different colour temp lamps and try those. The reason for going down this route is that low energy lamps

are more robust in transport than tungsten filament lamps, they run a lot cooler and no weight of fluorescent tube control gear.

Electrical connection to the lighting hood is via a IEC 3pin chassis plug and normal PC type mains lead with 2 amp fuse.

Hope this answers some of your comment questions.

Cheers

Frank 

I would seriously suggest at least trying some LED strip for lighting. No weight, no heat, can be dropped and almost stood on, can be cut to length with no dull spots (but lots of tiny individual reflections off shiny surfaces!) and costs almost nothing these days for 5 metres. (Ebay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16FT-5M-12V-Flexible-300-LED-5050-SMD-Strip-Light-White-Car-Light-7-/200790213077?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ec00781d5#ht_3694wt_1141 )

I am reading and thinking - dowels for alignment, over-centre catches for board alignment, power sockets at the back. I have some work to do!

• RMweb Gold

I agree with the bit about bulbs not being robust. I had spotlights (R63) on an exhibition layout and needed to carry spares such was the failure rate.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Hi Frank,

Not sure if you've seen this, but theres loads of colour photos of Penmaenpool (post-closure) on various pages in this gallery:

http://www.archive-images.co.uk/index.gallery.php?gid=138&ipg=10

A superb set of galleries altogether, its worth spending some time exploring them.

Railway catalogue page is here:  http://www.archive-images.co.uk/index.gallery.php?gid=102

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Frank,

Not sure if you've seen this, but theres loads of colour photos of Penmaenpool (post-closure) on various pages in this gallery:

A superb set of galleries altogether, its worth spending some time exploring them.

Railway catalogue page is here:  http://www.archive-images.co.uk/index.gallery.php?gid=102

Cheers, Dave.

Smashing link Dave although from a quick browse I see that some of the Glamorgan pics are incorrectly captioned - but still some superb stuff in there.

• RMweb Premium

Smashing link Dave although from a quick browse I see that some of the Glamorgan pics are incorrectly captioned - but still some superb stuff in there.

Yes, I noticed a few howlers in the Devon section, doesnt detract from the fabulous photos though.

cheers, Dave

Hi Frank I do like the lid bit, BUT I worked on Nick Paletts, Hallsdorf, East German layout at the Derby show and he uses a strip of Daylight LED's they about 1 inch apart and in pairs on the strop which is about 3 ft long and has the most wonderful daylight effect I have ever seen.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Hi Frank I do like the lid bit, BUT I worked on Nick Paletts, Hallsdorf, East German layout at the Derby show and he uses a strip of Daylight LED's they about 1 inch apart and in pairs on the strop which is about 3 ft long and has the most wonderful daylight effect I have ever seen.

Andy

Any idea of the make or supplier Andy.

Don

this is one of my favourite layouts on here and I really like the concept of separate modules. have you got any photos of the modules you've done connected together?

Hi 

Just looked and I haven't got many! Actually only this one!

7183861967_a6b5c11042_o.jpg

Penmaenpool is in the foreground and as you see work had not long started on this module. 

The centre board is Morfa Bach (still uncomplete here) and at the far end is the "UP" or East fiddle yard.

I must get round to taking a more up todate picture of the assembled modules. So keep an eye open for them.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Frank

• 1 month later...

Hi Frank,

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Cleanly forgot to say thanks for those super links. Just wish I had access to those pictures a few months ago, my interpretation of Penmaenpool would have been far more accurate.

All I have had to go on apart from faded memories are some old monochrome shots in various books I have on my shelf.

Having said that. I don't think i'm too far away from getting the atmosphere of the prototype somewhere near right.

Thanks again

Cheers

Frank

Nice to see this progressing mate I like idea of the lid, I take it you can close it when the layout is disassembled and keep protected the scenery like on Pen Y Bont? If you need a hand before September give me a shout. Looking forward to Telford already. 

Jaymes

Archived