The Hintock Branch-1930's Dorset Joint GWR/SR Workings in OO

john flann

• RMweb Gold

Agree with you John. The water tower was a bit over powering where it was and detracted from the look of the terminus. With regard to the warehouse, could you do away with it altogether?

That would really open up that end of the station.

Rob

Rob, thanks for the thought and yes, it could be done. The structure there currently is just a mock up to answer your very question as to whether it should be present at all.

If I take it away that end is very open indeed, with it there it acts an eye stopper that then directs attention toward the right, the station itself, the SM's house and WT and finally coming back to the tree and gate. This is best seen in the second image.

You are quite right about the WT. As I remarked earlier getting this LH corner "right" is proving an interesting challenge.

I have just caught up with the last few posts about Port Bredy and the project looks as though it is coming along nicely. The buildings are exquisite and remind me of those I have read about on the old Abbotsbury branch.

I think some of the contrast problems you are having could be to do with a setting in your new camera as all the recent pictures have a similar look to them. Here is one that I ran through Photoshop for you and adjusted the shadows/highlights and gave the colour a closer look towards daylight values. I hope you like it.

Before Photoshop

post-8259-0-06109700-1465878656_thumb.jpg

After Photoshop

post-8259-0-89386300-1465878445_thumb.jpg

Hi john from Madrid Spain. Around one third into the 9 week European and uk holiday. Am catching up on the rm web layout topics via smartphone. Enjoyed catching up with your recent modelling. This trip also includes another special day visit to Buckingham Branch and Mr Tony Gee.

Regards Andy R

Gentlemen, I appreciate your approbation of the way forward here.

In my mind's eye I can see it finished in a Hintock fashion that will I hope, represent West Dorset at it's best. Gentle, sleepy, tranquil, trees in leaf, the sun shining with a brisk wind off the sea, the waters of the Brede quietly lapping the banks, an O2 shunting or a Prairie with its single coach and-nothing else very much going on. 

I'm looking forward to this.

AndyM: you are always welcome to apply your magic wherever and when you please. That result is superb for it has turned a goodish photo into an excellent one. Thank you.

I must learn to do better. In my own defence I would say the Users Manual identifies 51 different buttons and the like on the camera's body and that enable it appears, an infinite number of options. I know I can't attempt to use them all at once but it gets a bit disheartening at times. There, I'm glad you are showing what can be done. I too must learn to use Photoshop.

I did suspect the causes you identify and am pleased to observe the detail revealed. So I'm doing something right. It's a long learning curve.

You are quite right in recognising the Abbotsbury connection. It is of course not far east of Port Bredy.

AndyR: it seems your trip is going well. Enjoy it and keep safe.

And so today Hintock had a visitor from Spain, in this case a virtual tourist. Welcome. I'm glad you like what you found.

Were I in the UK I certainly would have made a pilgrimage to Buckingham and made due homage. It was the original inspiration for Hintock and still is for that matter. Please pass that on, if you get the opportunity, to Tony Gee.

Time to bring what's going on up to date: at PB the result of adding roofs and the like to buildings is far from photogenic. Just honest toil. When I have a number of structures in course of building-as I have at PB where all are scratch built-I tend work on a production line basis whether it be painting, adding windows and the like.

I have been spurred on this by the settling of my LH end corner difficulties. There I have hit on an elegant  solution that has returned me to my original intentions for Port Bedy. That is simple, uncomplicated and retaining the style and ambience of Hintock itself. It was getting a little too "busy".

I haven't had the opportunity to photograph it yet but as as soon I can I shall. Meanwhile below are some more trial images taken with my new camera. It's a familiar scene but still worth, I think, a look notwithstanding the colour imbalances. Anyway I need the practice. I can only get better.

post-3088-0-02295700-1466346193_thumb.jpg

The arriving through through coaches from Birkenhead headed by a Hintock shedded Prairie and the SR goods with a Dorchester O2 waiting to depart. This shot has a fair amount of distant scene and that is in reasonable focus. Not good but I'm working on it. Meantime a right click improves it no end.

post-3088-0-59879200-1466346291_thumb.jpg

A more distant view, the original image is quite good, reduction in size and sharpening make it a little "off". Obviously I need to learn how to further improve images. Otherwise it's a likeable shot.

post-3088-0-67023700-1466346247_thumb.jpg

Closer still. What I particularly like here is the view through the signal box windows (seen well in the original but not too good here, it's better observed in the first image) and the overall detail revealed. It's there all it needs is to be brought out.

I shall be away from home for the next week so any responses to individual comments might be delayed.

post-3088-0-72801100-1466446003_thumb.jpg

I have moved on from here and to implementing the next steps but meantime on looking through my images I came across these two. And, they brought home to me how much can be done in 5'8 x 1'7.

They too illustrate different techniques in dealing with the"sky".

post-3088-0-27498500-1466446530_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi John. The backscene looks very effective.

I have to say that I still think it looks better without the warehouse though.......

Rob

Rob, yes its only looking at this image a second time did I notice how the two backscenes called for comment. Like you too I prefer the second. Repainting the first could be a little difficult but not impossible. Maybe a winter project for me.

Neither would I disagree with you about the warehouse; all there will be revealed in due course. To date I've built and tried four different replacement structures. However not time and effort wasted as going through that exercise revealed the way forward.

VB, glad you liked the two images and the back scene, after I had done it several months ago I did post a full account of how I did it on this thread,

If you care to go back and find it I think you will find all the information you need, It's fairly simple and the results speak for themselves.

Thank you for your interest. And if you have other questions please do ask.

VB, glad you liked the two images and the back scene, after I had done it several months ago I did post a full account of how I did it on this thread,

If you care to go back and find it I think you will find all the information you need, It's fairly simple and the results speak for themselves.

Thank you for your interest. And if you have other questions please do ask.

Time to bring what's going on up to date: at PB the result of adding roofs and the like to buildings is far from photogenic. Just honest toil. When I have a number of structures in course of building-as I have at PB where all are scratch built-I tend work on a production line basis whether it be painting, adding windows and the like.

I have been spurred on this by the settling of my LH end corner difficulties. There I have hit on an elegant  solution that has returned me to my original intentions for Port Bedy. That is simple, uncomplicated and retaining the style and ambience of Hintock itself. It was getting a little too "busy".

I haven't had the opportunity to photograph it yet but as as soon I can I shall. Meanwhile below are some more trial images taken with my new camera. It's a familiar scene but still worth, I think, a look notwithstanding the colour imbalances. Anyway I need the practice. I can only get better.

attachicon.gif041-1.jpg

The arriving through through coaches from Birkenhead headed by a Hintock shedded Prairie and the SR goods with a Dorchester O2 waiting to depart. This shot has a fair amount of distant scene and that is in reasonable focus. Not good but I'm working on it. Meantime a right click improves it no end.

attachicon.gif045-1.jpg

A more distant view, the original image is quite good, reduction in size and sharpening make it a little "off". Obviously I need to learn how to further improve images. Otherwise it's a likeable shot.

attachicon.gif044-1.jpg

Closer still. What I particularly like here is the view through the signal box windows (seen well in the original but not too good here, it's better observed in the first image) and the overall detail revealed. It's there all it needs is to be brought out.

I shall be away from home for the next week so any responses to individual comments might be delayed.

The view through the signal box window after being run through Photoshop. The shadows and highlights have been tweaked and the colour brought closer to natural. I hope it meets your high standards.

post-8259-0-16212300-1466573384_thumb.jpg

AndyM, I do indeed. It's an art I need to master. Thank you. It encourages me no end.

You (and others) might be amused to know I'm responding from my IPad sitting in a hotel room and in an ambience far different to Hintock. For I'm currently in the center of Las Vegas.

Immediate impresseins, I only arrived yesterday how amazingly quiet it is, green and pleasant. I won't be tempted by the ambling-it's all around but there are plenty of other things to see and do. It's rather warm 115F, but cool inside, and the heat is dry. I return to everyday life in Utah at the weekend. Note: spelling error and I can't see how to correct it, gambling not ambling, but I did get a morning walk before it will get beyond out in the direct sun.

• RMweb Gold

You (and others) might be amused to know I'm responding from my IPad sitting in a hotel room and in an ambience far different to Hintock. For I'm currently in the center of Las Vegas.

Indeed!  As I have already told you, there is something slightly surreal that the creator of those wonderful Dorsetshire scenes, that we admire so much, should now be enjoying the fleshpots of Vegas.

Best Wishes from a rather damp and dreary Vancouver

John

Indeed!  As I have already told you, there is something slightly surreal that the creator of those wonderful Dorsetshire scenes, that we admire so much, should now be enjoying the fleshpots of Vegas.

Best Wishes from a rather damp and dreary Vancouver

John

I take it you aren't going on the rides off the top of the tower at the Stratosphere hotel? I was amazed to discover that in 1990 I stayed in that hotel, it was rather run down and all we could afford having only left university a few years before. My daughter showed me videos of the rides, made me nervous just watching the videos!

John, I spent thre morning at Hoover Dam-now that's surreal on the one hand and as an engineering work it's superb. Got very hot 115F, so now back in the cool of my room. Las Vegas and its hotels is also surreal. An amazing experience. It's all so larger than life.

Martyn, that's still functioning. I've only seen it from a distance and that's near enough for me, absolutely frightening.

The whole experience so very different to that at Hintock.

All OT, but also very refreshing. Return home at the weekend.

John, I spent thre morning at Hoover Dam-now that's surreal on the one hand and as an engineering work it's superb. Got very hot 115F, so now back in the cool of my room. Las Vegas and its hotels is also surreal. An amazing experience. It's all so larger than life.

Martyn, that's still functioning. I've only seen it from a distance and that's near enough for me, absolutely frightening.

The whole experience so very different to that at Hintock.

All OT, but also very refreshing. Return home at the weekend.

The Hoover Dam is an incredible feat of engineering, saw that too as well as Death Valley at mid day, not a  great idea, and the Grand Canyon.  I was with  two mates, we were in our early twenties and got lost going to the Grand Canyon. We ended up driving 1200 miles in a day! All three were well worth seeing and we had already spent a week in LA. I was a lot younger then!

The weather is quite good in the Hintock area at the moment although there have been thunder storms and sea mist on occasion.

My trip to "the meadows"-Las Vegas, gave me a lot to think about and with it I returned refreshed and renewed by the fascinating experience. It was well worth doing  . So now back home I have spent some little time this past week on my Port Bredy endeavours. It's also been exceedingly hot with 100F+ by late afternoon so my cool lower ground floor is a pleasant place to be.

And, below in no particular order is where I'm currently at. These are working shots and nothing is properly finished but they do illustrate how things are going.

I'm pleased with progress to date.

post-3088-0-96412900-1467548073_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-96828100-1467548622_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-17272700-1467548249_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-36250000-1467548310_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-77711800-1467548372_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-74869100-1467548436_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-93721500-1467548492_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-66928100-1467548555_thumb.jpg

Archived