john flann

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Welcome back, John.

Lovely light in those photos.

Just so.

Splendid.

Rob.

Love the recent pictures John. As always, wonderfully composed. Hope the trip to Montana was not to stressfull. We had some friends who used to live in Red Lodge and pictures we were sent always amazed me, with the wide open spaces and big skies.

Andy, delighted to see your post and I appreciate your generous comment (as I do also appreciate the "likes" bestowed) on the photographs. I'm especially pleased as they are with a new camera, a Nikon D3300, and that with all its bells and whistles, is taking some getting familiar with. But I shall persist.

Thank you too for your comments on the composition; it's not entirely chance for from the outset I had much in mind the creation of "scenes" and this has played its part in their nature and location. I think it's one of the fun aspects of the hobby.

It was kind of you also to remark upon my trip, it's a long journey virtually 99% on the freeway where 80 mph is possible for hundreds of miles-that includes the 18 wheelers plus their trailers- and once away from any town one customarily shares the road with only one or two other vehicles on a distant horizon. I didn't find it hard going and I travelled alone.The scenery is, of course, magnificent and  Montana is a vast state. I crossed the Continental Divide at around 8,000' and often snow at the side of the road.

I know Red Lodge as I have stayed overnight there and passed through it when entering/leaving Yellowstone NP from the east. Whilst it's touristfied it still retains much of an old Western mining town culture and ambience.

• RMweb Gold

Welcome back John!

I really enjoyed those shots of the 14xx and auto coach .........reminded me of the very first time I became acquainted with Hintock.....how many years ago? I would guess at least seven?

Best wishes from Vancouver

John, with such a warm welcome from you (and others) it's a pleasure to be back. The trip was something of an adventure for a senior in his 86th year.

Those photos do look good I must agree (and there's a story behind them) and yes our virtual friendship begun first on YMR goes back all those years. So both Granby and Hintock have stood the test of time in their development. I think too, we've learned one or two things along the way.

The !4XX and coach don't figure largely in current operations. Mainly because to me, they offer in their in and out function little operational interest. Both are original Airfix, the loco I had re-motored and removed the traction tires but is still a disappointing performer because it cannot be relied upon, with the coach all I have done is change the bogies to a Bachmann pair. Maybe not correct but they do run very well.

Kind regards-from a rather wet Utah.

(I'll email you later today.)

John, with such a warm welcome from you (and others) it's a pleasure to be back. The trip was something of an adventure for a senior in his 86th year.

Those photos do look good I must agree (and there's a story behind them) and yes our virtual friendship begun first on YMR goes back all those years. So both Granby and Hintock have stood the test of time in their development. I think too, we've learned one or two things along the way.

The !4XX and coach don't figure largely in current operations. Mainly because to me, they offer in their in and out function little operational interest. Both are original Airfix, the loco I had re-motored and removed the traction tires but is still a disappointing performer because it cannot be relied upon, with the coach all I have done is change the bogies to a Bachmann pair. Maybe not correct but they do run very well.

Kind regards-from a rather wet Utah.

(I'll email you later today.)

Beautiful photographs.

I wonder, given what you say, might the Hattons' 4800 tempt you, John?

It tempts me, though I don't think the class reached Devon until early '36, a shade too late for me. 

Aside from promising to be a great leap forward from the old Airfix model, the Hattons model will depict the class better for the pre-war period, without the top-feed.

4800/14XX are a very attractive, 'retro' design, as, of course, they followed the 517s, one of my favourite classes.  I'm hacking up a Hornby 14XX at the moment in a bold and reckless attempt to make it more interesting in the form of a Great Eastern-ish tank from the 1870s!  Heaven alone knows how that will turn out! 

• RMweb Premium

You say : "The 14XX and coach don't figure largely in current operations. . . the loco I had re-motored and removed the traction tires but is still a disappointing performer because it cannot be relied upon . . ."

But at least they photograph well.

John

This is one of the posts I really enjoy looking out for, just reminds me of seeing the GWR all be it preserved on what was the Dart Valley Railway back in the late 60's/early 70's

Sadly as a child we went to Kent for our holidays and Margate area had been electrified by then. so all I can remember of steam was the twilight of BR on the Euston line, dirty and oily black locos all be it big ones going fast with lots of smoke and steam coming from them !!. So I never got to see the south western part of the GWR in all its refinery. Just photos

Do keep the updates coming  

James: I agree the Hatton's 14XX does seem an attractive proposition and it would suit Hintock or Port bredy well, but I've been through it all several times in my mind and the answer is my money was spent better elsewhere, and that's been invested in the Kernow 02.

As I mentioned the in and out routine of a 14XX and autocoach adds nothing for more me in operational terms whereas the O2 does offer that potential. And who knows in due course a pair ex L&SWR gate coaches might be axquired. Ideal for Port Bredy.

Bogie: I couldn't agree more, as photographic props the pair are ideal.

John: glad you found your way to Hintock. Welcome. The GWR/SR ambience in Dorset is what I endeavour to re-create. I get a lot of fun from it.

You will have gathered too I'm being accustomed to a new camera and this morning had quite a productive time.

And to satisfy all who consider no post complete without a photo, here is an example from today's efforts. It's rather a nice shot and shows the 0912 am departure of the through coaches to Birkenhead (Woodside) via Wolverhampton, Granby and Chester. A service particularly favoured by the guests at the GWR Pennsylvania Castle Hotel at Port Bredy. Behind them will soon follow the Up SR goods to Dorchester.

post-3088-0-00688200-1464118488_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-70744500-1464447476_thumb.jpg

Time for a Port Bredy update; progress has been slow due to demands and other interests but the buildings all have been painted, most of them now possess windows and doors and roofs are being added. Then will come the fun stuff with gutters, downspouts and so on.

post-3088-0-58630300-1464447579_thumb.jpg

However, I had done very little toward the front scenery prior to my trip to Montana. I must admit to feeling a little jaded-it just didn't seem right. But 1300 odd miles of driving on my own in fresh surroundings gave me plenty of time to think.

post-3088-0-89034900-1464447529_thumb.jpg

By the time of my return I had worked out what I needed to do.

post-3088-0-03388700-1464447647_thumb.jpg

Here we are: new ground and harbour wall loosely placed. I quite like the angular affect. I don't like the heavy relief on these Wills walls and that I intend to reduce with a good rub down. These will be painted off the layout and added when done.

The track is laid, it still requires somepaint and ballast but trains do run. The code 75 track looks well. (And, I've even thought about re-laying Hintock with it.)

post-3088-0-95317100-1464447675_thumb.jpg

And amidst all these carrrying's on Hintock sits serenely around the walls. It's fully operable and a nice distraction at times.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", how so very true.

Some may have noticed my absence from the forum recently, this was forced upon me by Windows 10 which kidnapped my Windows 7 that chugs away happily, well for most of the time, on an old desk top that has seen many years of service, and it has taken until now to organize a rescue. (I have no objections to W10 in itself finding it sleek and functioning well on another computer.)

So I thought it appropriate to show what I have been doing in the interim. These working shots show the result.

post-3088-0-07526800-1465569763_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-16996100-1465569799_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-06416800-1465569848_thumb.jpg

A lot of work still needs to be done, but it's going to look attractive scenically and should provide the opportunity for some nice photography. It's taken me a long time to get here as the LH end prior to this was never satisfactory. But I think I've got it right now.

I'm also very pleased with the"water" this was a bit of happenstance as my original intention was just to provide a basic undercoat using some old paint. However I quite like the colour it turned out to be and delighted with the texture.

I too have yet to master my new camera and these shots demonstrate how far have I to go on the learning curve.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John

Glad you got the computor sorted.....I was beginning to get worried about you.

You are right to be pleased with your progress.......looks very good

Best wishes

John

John, thanks for your concern. I was beginning to get a bit concerned myself. Next time I'll try and do better with the focus and get better images. This new camera has more to it than point and shoot, consequently there's a great deal to think about-apart from the lighting and composition. That is where a pair of friendly hands would be helpful. Pity you are so far distant.

Adrian, thank you, that's a very nice compliment and I now feel the same way too. It's rather a good feeling when a layout turns that corner.

James, in your last post you mentioned "convincing buildings." Any particular one you had in mind?

And, gentlemen all, I appreciate your likes and interest.

Regards,

• RMweb Gold

I like this a lot, John. Lovely to see.

Another classic.

Rob.

Alan, no it's still very much part of the Port Bredy scenario incuded in which we now have the Isle of Portland Steam Packet and Navigation Co Ltd.

I'll post more later.

You do keep a close eye on what goes on at Hintock. I too find it quite entertaining.

Regards.

The weather has been fantastic in the Hintock area this afternoon and for the first time since we've lived here I've walked the coastal path round the East Weares  following the old railway line to Easton, it was very sheltered and hot today. There is more on my Flickr thread but here are two showing the path of the old line round Portland. Looking at the height of the cliffs it was a real feat to get the line up into Easton from, sea level.

post-12773-0-62890100-1465660713_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-62768000-1465660723_thumb.jpg

Martyn, that brings back a few memories not only of being on the Weares but of trains ascending that incline. And hearing the sharp bark of an O2 as it surmounted the final stretch of 1:40 before running into Easton station. Thank you-yes it does get warm down there.

Up goods trains were restricted to 9 loaded wagons, if of coal and SR descending loaded stone trains utilised the Queen Mary bogie brakes, though I can't recall ever seeing one, all I can remember are standard GWR Toads.

Below is the gradient profile, quite a climb as you can see in a little over 3 miles. (Of course you became very aware of that on your way back home. Uphill all the way.)

I need add the Profile is from Oakwood Press's excellent book, Isle of Portland Railways, Vol two, and the copyright therein is duly acknowledged.

NOTE: I have since removed the profile. If any member is further interested in it, please PM me.

post-3088-0-86633700-1465736572.jpg

As has been recounted earlier in this Hintock thread the extension of the Joint branch from Hintock to Port Bredy was led openly by local businessmen and covertly financed by the MR and L&SWR. All saw the development of Port Bredy similar to that at nearby Bournemouth; the railway companies with the traffic that would bring and additionally the MR because it wanted access to a port on the South Coast and the L&SWR to break the monopoly the GWR had at Weymouth.

As time would show this didn't occur except the harbour at Port Bredy was improved and the MR and L&SWR financed a shipping company the Isle of Portland Steam Packet Navigation Co Ltd, to trade with France and to St Malo. A steady trade did develop and by the mid 1930's two vessels the "SS East Cliff" and her sister ship the "SS West Cliff' ran a weekly service. The traffic was mainly of a general nature except when vegetables and the like were in season.

The railway conection was by way of the Port Bredy Harbour Tramway that ran for about half a mile from the station to the harbour. Traffic was exchanged at a transfer siding. Motive power was provided by George and Mary a pair of Clydesdale's.

The freehand sketch plan above shows the arrangement. Below illustrate it.

Working arrangements on the Port Bredy branch are currently that the GWR handles the passenger traffic and the SR the goods.

post-3088-0-62344400-1465736611_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-20787400-1465736641_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-57920200-1465736665_thumb.jpg

post-3088-0-76330400-1465736696_thumb.jpg

These show where I have got to so far. It was a  big improvement to the composition when I brought the warehouse forward and set the water tower back.

Archived