Graham Farish N Gauge Class 08 shunter DCC sound

whiteswan

With a lot of fiddling and praying I've managed to get sound into a Farish N Gauge Class 08 gronk, who said it couldn't be done! The project uses the new CT Elektronik SL76 sound decoder together with a cube speaker and enclosure, sounds were from YouChoos.

I've written a "how to" which you can see on the N Gauge Forum at http://www.ngaugefor...g83384#msg83384

Hope it's ok posting this here, if not I'm sure the mods will remove it, just trying to avoid duplicating the whole thing.

You can see the results of the install on YouTube at

http://youtu.be/YA8VIG9xW_s ,

Caz

• 2 weeks later...

Really impressive work there whiteswan! Great strides being made in n gauge sound right now. Whilst browsing the link noticed that the bar's been raised again, this time by Wickness Models in the form of a Farish Class 03 installed with a CT Elektronik SL76 decoder and an ESU speaker. Really has to be seen to be believed (and heard!)

http://www.ngaugefor...hp?topic=7675.0

Not so long ago such a set up wouldn't have been imaginable. We'd have been looking at perhaps placing the speaker in a permanently coupled wagon at best. In fact I remember being bowled over when the company fitted a standard DCC chip into my Class 04 some two years ago. Where next for n gauge DCC sound then and how long can I hold out before I'm tempted to have the extra (sound) dimension added to my set-up?

...Mmm, tempting isn't it!? :devil:

The wheel squeel is there but a little quieter than a rather unique flock of seagulls sound which might be a little more prevelant. Its one of the unique sounds provided by John Gymer along with the station announcement. The conversion was is a collaboration between Youchoos who provided the decoder and soundtrack and Wickness Models which did the install

• RMweb Premium

Amazing to see the install, impressive. But it worries me that the brake squeal is so out of sync with the actual motion, is there the facility to tune the file?

Limited bass of course but that something we can overlook considering the size of the speaker, certainy things are on the up in 2mm sound.

The squeal is too repetitive and rhythmic - not to mention loud. I would just get rid. Also, there was a noticeable 'drop-out' on the engine channel when switching between power and idle.

BUT I am still in awe of all that being fitted into the Gronk. In the words of Alan Partridge, not so long ago anyone who could unfurl sounds like that from a match-sized box would have been killed as a witch.

Amazing to see the install, impressive. But it worries me that the brake squeal is so out of sync with the actual motion, is there the facility to tune the file?

Limited bass of course but that something we can overlook considering the size of the speaker, certainy things are on the up in 2mm sound.

There are a lot of configuration options in the CT SL76, much more than I used to and it has taken time for me to work out what does what. The video was taken using the decoder as received without any tuning of the CV's, it is my first CT decoder but have since managed to get it running more or less how I want it. The squeal sounds a lot louder in the video than it actually was, I have since turned the volumes down a tad, I was worried that the audio wouldn't come across in the video so left them as received. I've left the squeal in (but a bit quieter) as every time I've heard a gronk shunting, it was always squealing :imsohappy:

Caz

Archived