TCS DP2X-UK in a Bachmann Pannier- setting up for shunting

brianthesnail96

Bob, thanks for posting this - I had been having the same issues with my Clan and a Lenz Standard+. If you did have a spare one and wanted to sell it let me know, otherwise I will contact DCC supplies in the next few weeks.

What a good forum full of helpful people!

Hi Tom,

I am completely out of TCS DP2X-UK decoders, so you will have to get your own. I normally like to keep a few decoders in my stock, but the current position is 4 lenz decoders,,,,,and nothing else. I dont intend to go down the TCS route any longer unless its completely unavoidable, myself and a few pals have had a few failures and some erratic running this past year or so........I'll stick with my preferred Lenz decoders wherever possible.

You are right about this Forum........I would have found it so difficult to progress with DCC without it. The folk on here are so genuinely helpful, it speaks volumes for our hobby.

Bob.

• RMweb Gold

Bob, thanks for posting this - I had been having the same issues with my Clan and a Lenz Standard+. If you did have a spare one and wanted to sell it let me know, otherwise I will contact DCC supplies in the next few weeks.

What a good forum full of helpful people!

Try setting motor to type 1 (set CV50=1). It made a significant improvement to my Britannia with a Lenz Standard+ decoder.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Interesting discussion. I currently have a Bachmann Pannier to chip up, the owner wants "stay alive" too if possible. Studying photos of the SA fitted DP2-UK fitment of the wires for a cap pack is easy, so I would ideally like to fit one, but not if the running is no good.

It's no biggie if I have to use a Lenz Standard+ I already know where to solder to that one ;)

I've also found that the DP2-UK works great with Hornby large steamers - I recommend it for the RR Tornado, although I was less than happy with one in my Brit chassied Duke of Gloucester which is still running it's "test" R8215 Hornby chip!

Interesting discussion. I currently have a Bachmann Pannier to chip up, the owner wants "stay alive" too if possible. Studying photos of the SA fitted DP2-UK fitment of the wires for a cap pack is easy, so I would ideally like to fit one, but not if the running is no good.

It's no biggie if I have to use a Lenz Standard+ I already know where to solder to that one ;)

I've also found that the DP2-UK works great with Hornby large steamers - I recommend it for the RR Tornado, although I was less than happy with one in my Brit chassied Duke of Gloucester which is still running it's "test" R8215 Hornby chip!

I have the Bachmann Pannier fitted with a TCS decoder and it performs very well. No need for Stay-alive, as long as you make sure the centre sprung wheel set is functioning properly (i have found the spring jammed on some models) it will still crawl across insufrog points (assuming they are laid correctly.) and the track/wheels are clean.

Ray.

Hi Ian,

Last night I hard wired a Lenz Standard into a Hornby Scot 46144.......a loco that had run for 18mths with a TCS DP2X-UK decoder.

I first had to remove the plug from the loom....and also the 8 pin receiving plug on the loco.  Simple enough to do, as you well know, having more experience of these things than me.

The reason for the TCS being replaced was yet another failure.....something like 5 or 6 now, over the past 2 or 3 years or so.  I have given up with the TCS DP2X-UK decoder, I'm sure you are well aware of its other little faults that have been well documented on other threads.  I know some people find them fine......I certainly dont....and will never buy and fit another.

The old Lenz Standard I fitted last night has transformed the locos performance, and at prices as low as £16/£17 for these, instead of the £20/£22 for the DP2X-UK, its a bit of a no brainer.

If you have an option, and you can make the Lenz fit....I would go that way........everytime.!!

I know that others will say they love the DP2X, and it works perfectly for them..........but they dont for me.!!!!!!!!!

Bob.

Just finished installing the Standard+ into the 57xx, nice and smooth as promised. I junked the pcb/socket and it's right, there is a space that could have been designed for a Standard+ :)

Successful then Ian.!

Good choice, good decision!

• RMweb Gold

Still need to find a home for the DP2X-UK I have in stock :(

When I replaced my first DP2X-UK with Lenz I sold the decoder on Ebay, where a "discerning purchaser" bid £27 for it! He then emailed me to say how delighted he was with it.  This encouraged me to replace my other 6, all of which sold on Ebay for more than I'd paid for them in the first place (and more than covered the cost of the Lenz Standard+ replacements).

When I replaced my first DP2X-UK with Lenz I sold the decoder on Ebay, where a "discerning purchaser" bid £27 for it! He then emailed me to say how delighted he was with it.  This encouraged me to replace my other 6, all of which sold on Ebay for more than I'd paid for them in the first place (and more than covered the cost of the Lenz Standard+ replacements).

But you really didnt need financial encouragement did you....????!!!!!! :no:

• RMweb Gold

But you really didnt need financial encouragement did you....????!!!!!! :no:

No, not financial!  What I needed was encouragement to yet again get the bodies off the steamers, some which (like the King Arthurs) were such a tight fit! Seems every time I do another flimsy detail part drops off ...

No, not financial!  What I needed was encouragement to yet again get the bodies off the steamers, some which (like the King Arthurs) were such a tight fit! Seems every time I do another flimsy detail part drops off ...

Yes....I now all about that one....... as in my post #82 on this thread, I disturbed one of the smoke deflectors and had to re fix that this time.  End result is worth every bit of effort.

I have reached the end of the line so as to speak, with TCS decoders, and similarly too, have a few of my pals, who are also converting to Lenz as failures occur.

Bob.

Archived