Haymarket 64B

landscapes

10 hours ago, AJCT said:

Have you tried Hatton's ? https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/Preowned.aspx

Enjoying following your progress with this.  Never got to visit 64B in steam days, though - it was green diesels by the time I first got there.

Alasdair

Hi Alasdair

Thank you for your kind comments and the link to Hatton's.

I have purchased from them in the past so I will keep a look out for any bargains that come up from now on.

Regards

David

On 23/09/2019 at 11:23, landscapes said:

Good Morning

What I am trying to achieve is the view a railway enthusiast might have witnessed walking up the main MPD access road which was off of Russell Road Haymarket.

I have no real details or photographs of what this view would have looked like in the late 1950's, I can only go by what information I have plus some OS maps and some old aerial photos I have found.

Having never visit the depot myself.

Regards

David

60009_IMG_0378B.jpg

David ~ I think you have achieved your aim!!!

That is a fabulous camera angle you have posted there - - - it reminds me so much of my views of the sheds as I walked up that cobbled road and into the shed area almost every weekend in the late 50s/early 60s.

• Thanks 1

Hi Holyrood60152

Thank  you so much for your kind comments.

As I have already said I have no Idea what the view would have looked like.

one thing for sure is I would have loved the opportunity to have visited Haymarket and see it for myself.

positive comments from someone who actually visited the MPD in steam days is very reassuring.

I do hope to improve the view even more in due course when I finally get around to laying cinders and the build up of grime that you saw around a steam MPD floor and of course when the track work is also weathered 

thanks again

Regards

David

5 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Can almost smell the brewery in those last few pictures, lovely work......

Thank you for your kind comments, I recently saw a really nice photo of A2/3 60511 standing on No 7 road at Haymarket MPD taken around 1960 in a quite respectable condition.

I am hoping to try to recreate the same photo as I have a Graeme King Bachman’s A2 conversion aptly numbered 60511 Airborne a regular I believe at 64B.

if it works out OK I’ll post a photo 

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Evening

Following my post yesterday, as I said I tried to recreate a photo I recently came across of Thompson A2/3 60511 Airborne standing on number 7 road of Haymarket shed.

Well the photos did not come out as I originally hoped, I needed to get the camera at a much lower level which is not easy at the moment but I enclose a copy  anyway plus a close up of a G King/Bachmann conversion.

They are two slightly different photos and not a cropped version of the first one

Regards

David

60027_IMG_0437B.jpg

60511_IMG_0449B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
More information
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

David,

A really great piece of work, I am a big fan of Loco Shed themed layouts and yours is one of the best. St Margaret's was a great shed to visit and no model of this shed should avoid having a J36, which you haven't!  I seem to recall seeing a few N15's too, 69128 rings a bell. I notice that Modelmaster JacksonEvans a producing a series of ex NBR loco kits in 4mm, including an N15 so maybe, when you have some time, you could build one!

The details are:

After considering various options

and 'testing the water',  here is

the final list of Loco Body &

Tender kits being produced:-

MMR001  Class N15 0-6-2T   £67.50 (deposit £15)

MMR002  Class J37 0-6-0  £97.50 (deposit £20)

MMR004  Class D29/D30 4-4-0  £107.50 (deposit £25)

MMR006  Class D33/D34 4-4-0  £107.50 (deposit £25)

(Reductions in price for 4-4-0s will be applied to orders

already placed)  this has been made possible by

combining together kits MMR003 & 004, and MMR005 &

006, thus radically reducing the production costs of

making four 4-4-0 kits instead of two.

ALL of these kits will be produced as advertised, but

I'm getting a few modellers asking if I can produce a

N.B.R. Class G (L.N.E.R./B.R. Y9) 0-4-0ST.

I can, but only if I get orders for 50 kits, otherwise I

can't afford to fit it into what is a very tight production

schedule over the next few months.

Obviously, if I don't get 50 orders within a reasonable

time frame, then all deposits will be returned.

https://modelmaster.uk/

Hope the info is of use to you. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

28 minutes ago, 30368 said:

David,

A really great piece of work, I am a big fan of Loco Shed themed layouts and yours is one of the best. St Margaret's was a great shed to visit and no model of this shed should avoid having a J36, which you haven't!  I seem to recall seeing a few N15's too, 69128 rings a bell. I notice that Modelmaster JacksonEvans a producing a series of ex NBR loco kits in 4mm, including an N15 so maybe, when you have some time, you could build one!

The details are:

After considering various options

and 'testing the water',  here is

the final list of Loco Body &

Tender kits being produced:-

MMR001  Class N15 0-6-2T   £67.50 (deposit £15)

MMR002  Class J37 0-6-0  £97.50 (deposit £20)

MMR004  Class D29/D30 4-4-0  £107.50 (deposit £25)

MMR006  Class D33/D34 4-4-0  £107.50 (deposit £25)

(Reductions in price for 4-4-0s will be applied to orders

already placed)  this has been made possible by

combining together kits MMR003 & 004, and MMR005 &

006, thus radically reducing the production costs of

making four 4-4-0 kits instead of two.

ALL of these kits will be produced as advertised, but

I'm getting a few modellers asking if I can produce a

N.B.R. Class G (L.N.E.R./B.R. Y9) 0-4-0ST.

I can, but only if I get orders for 50 kits, otherwise I

can't afford to fit it into what is a very tight production

schedule over the next few months.

Obviously, if I don't get 50 orders within a reasonable

time frame, then all deposits will be returned.

https://modelmaster.uk/

Hope the info is of use to you. Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you very much for your kind and positive comments.

The layout is work in progress and still lots to do, I am most impressed with the list of loco kits available unfortunately I do not have the skills to build locomotive kits myself, but thats not to say I may in the future purchase kits and pay to have them built for me.

I recognise your name Modelmaster, I have in the past purchased brass etched nameplates and smokebox number plates for quite of few on my model locomotives on Haymarket 64B.

If I remember correctly I use to speak to a gentleman named Jim when I place my orders by telephone.

And lastly I do actually have a J36 on the layout, its one of Hornby's new RTR models 65311 Haig which was a regular at Haymarket MPD, photo enclosed and again I will probably order a second model as and when funds permit me to do so.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply and to list your body kits available which I am sure I will purchase sometime in the future.

Regards

David

65311_IMG_0014B.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

My pleasure David.

You are correct about Modelmaster, Jim is still in control and is as helpful as always. I hope you do move on to building a loco, Jim's approach is a resin body (so not much construction required) and a brass chassis which is more challenging but achievable. It is also very rewarding. I would suggest that the quality of your building and scenic work suggests you have the skills!

All the best and keep up the good work!

Kind regards,

Richard B

Edited by 30368
error
  • Thanks 1

Good Afternoon

A couple of new photos as I will now be away for while so Railway Modelling is temporarily put on hold for the time being.

Two photos showing A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia on the turntable.

The A4 is the standard Commonwealth collection Hornby China built A4 all I have done is to remove the plastic single chimney and replace with an S E Finscale White Metal Double Chimney, plus all the usual amendments, real coal, lamps, Crew, Three link Screw Couplings, Etched brass nameplates and light weathering.

The Turntable it sits on is a standard Peco LK55 00 scale turntable, I have removed the oversize plastic handrails and replace them with more attractive brass ones.

I have also scratch build the housing  that hold the mechanism that turns the whole structure.

It's the best I can do at the present time, MetalSmiths have been advertising a brass turntable kit exactly the same as Haymarket's but after four years of waiting it's still not available.

Maybe one day?

Regards

David

60012_IMG_0474B.jpg

60012_IMG_0488B.jpg

• Like 17

Hello David ,

Thankyou for pointing me to your thread when we were on "Wright writes ". Your model is instantly recognisable as Haymarket , even though I only know it through photographs . When I have time I will start at page 1 & go through the whole thread & will continue to follow your progress with interest . 

With best wishes ,

Ray .

27 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hello David ,

Thankyou for pointing me to your thread when we were on "Wright writes ". Your model is instantly recognisable as Haymarket , even though I only know it through photographs . When I have time I will start at page 1 & go through the whole thread & will continue to follow your progress with interest . 

With best wishes ,

Ray .

Hi Ray

thank you I appreciate your kind comments, I am away now for about five weeks so there will not be any further updates for a while.

But there will be plenty on my return as there is still so much work still to be completed.

But in between the work I do enjoy experimenting with different photographic views for when the layout will finally be completed.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Good evening David,

Having just caught up again with your thread, I'm surprised it's not more popular. It really is excellent.

As promised on Wright Writes some little time ago, some more shots of Haymarket which might be of use. 

The usual copyright restrictions apply, please.

436273650_60071HaymarketShed.jpg.5d1f8166e14295ad5fbbae83783dcec8.jpg

862862597_60097HaymarketShed.jpg.ce0c58e5a35364698d62e519dd71b1e7.jpg

143207305_67615HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.3508f70a4b47df7ef4d99726cf862289.jpg

158387968_69169HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.10035d80af73b43b9651c766dc73a242.jpg

1869787032_A260537HaymarketShed.jpg.815ed1e7956f792f71f6fc57a48376ed.jpg

330148860_D3062437HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.367f1a3db30579cde350d5257b92226a.jpg

428361039_D4962719HaymarketShed.jpg.d04e4d1fb99978c184d7e0cb88e6de0e.jpg

1817415904_D4962743HaymarketShed.jpg.aa5ede44bf2e798de52d1116930e302d.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening David,

Having just caught up again with your thread, I'm surprised it's not more popular. It really is excellent.

As promised on Wright Writes some little time ago, some more shots of Haymarket which might be of use. 

The usual copyright restrictions apply, please.

436273650_60071HaymarketShed.jpg.5d1f8166e14295ad5fbbae83783dcec8.jpg

862862597_60097HaymarketShed.jpg.ce0c58e5a35364698d62e519dd71b1e7.jpg

143207305_67615HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.3508f70a4b47df7ef4d99726cf862289.jpg

158387968_69169HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.10035d80af73b43b9651c766dc73a242.jpg

1869787032_A260537HaymarketShed.jpg.815ed1e7956f792f71f6fc57a48376ed.jpg

330148860_D3062437HaymarketShed31_07_55.jpg.367f1a3db30579cde350d5257b92226a.jpg

428361039_D4962719HaymarketShed.jpg.d04e4d1fb99978c184d7e0cb88e6de0e.jpg

1817415904_D4962743HaymarketShed.jpg.aa5ede44bf2e798de52d1116930e302d.jpg

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Tony

Thank you again for your kind comments and coming from yourself that is very high praise indeed.

Those photo are incredible and very helpful as well, thank you for taking the time to download them very much appreciated.

what a wonderful array of locomotives Haymarket had in the mid to late fifties.

Best Regards

David

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, landscapes said:

what a wonderful array of locomotives Haymarket had in the mid to late fifties.

Apparently including a Caley 0-4-4T (behind 62719)! That was a surprise. From the BR Database site, it could have been 55165. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Good Evening

The latest addition to the Haymarket 64B fleet is Thompson A2/1 60510 Robert The Bruce, this is not a new locomotive but A2/1 60509 Waverley renamed and renumbered using Fox transfers and Fox etched nameplates, my original model had the correct tender to change its identity to 60510.

Also I was never very happy with the nameplates that were fitted to the original model so rather than order new ones I decided on a new identity.  

Although the Fox etched nameplates are quite a bit more expensive than the other well known manufacturers I do think their quality is superior as well.

You may not be able to see from the enclosed photo but 60510 has no smokebox number plate I have decided to use the Pacific Models printed smokebox number plates instead of the etched one that comes with the nameplates. 

I think they do stand out much better and are very good value for money, I also know that Tony Wright uses them quite a lot and that a good enough endorsement for me.

Photo enclosed,

Regards

David

60510_IMG_0187B.jpg

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon

I was just sitting at my computer watching lunchtime Everton v Arsenal match and notice some very nice contrasting light coming through the window and falling onto my Haymarket layout.

So quickly out came the camera and this is the result with a photoshopped stormy sky background, as a big Spurs fan I was hoping that by the time I got back to the match Everton might have taken the lead but it was still 0-0.

I quite like the lighting effect it has produced as we have had very little sunshine lately, but this will give me some photographic ideas for the future, any comments are more than welcome.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0228B.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Great layout David and the pictures are very evocative of that shed. Many thanks for the inspiration for me to push on with 70D Basingastoke.

Track laying will start in the new year. A mere shadow of 64B but it should amuse me when it is finished. At least it will be somewhere to run my fairly large SR loco collection.

Happy Christmas!

Richard B

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Good Afternoon

I was just sitting at my computer watching lunchtime Everton v Arsenal match and notice some very nice contrasting light coming through the window and falling onto my Haymarket layout.

So quickly out came the camera and this is the result with a photoshopped stormy sky background, as a big Spurs fan I was hoping that by the time I got back to the match Everton might have taken the lead but it was still 0-0.

I quite like the lighting effect it has produced as we have had very little sunshine lately, but this will give me some photographic ideas for the future, any comments are more than welcome.

Regards

David

Quite striking lighting, like before or after a thunderstorm, maybe.  Rather like the light here in York this afternoon, where sunlight has also been in short supply of late.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 31A said:

Quite striking lighting, like before or after a thunderstorm, maybe.  Rather like the light here in York this afternoon, where sunlight has also been in short supply of late.

Hi

Thank you for your reply and comments, that was exactly what 

I was thinking when I saw the light shining on the layout.

And that is also the reason I photoshopped a stormy background onto the photo.

Regards

David

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 30368 said:

Great layout David and the pictures are very evocative of that shed. Many thanks for the inspiration for me to push on with 70D Basingastoke.

Track laying will start in the new year. A mere shadow of 64B but it should amuse me when it is finished. At least it will be somewhere to run my fairly large SR loco collection.

Happy Christmas!

Richard B

Hi Richard 

Many thanks for your kind comments, I am still trying to sort out the wiring on Haymarket.

over the past few months model railways have taken a bit of a back seat due to family commitments and works on the house but hoping to really push on in the new year.

I never ever got to see Haymarket but Basingstoke I did see many time in steam days all be it from a passing train usually going to Eastleigh for a shed visit in the early 1960’s.

I would be very interested in seeing the progress of your Basingstoke layout, do you have a thread on this website?

Also a very Merry Christmas to you as well.

Regards

David

7 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Richard 

Many thanks for your kind comments, I am still trying to sort out the wiring on Haymarket.

over the past few months model railways have taken a bit of a back seat due to family commitments and works on the house but hoping to really push on in the new year.

I never ever got to see Haymarket but Basingstoke I did see many times in steam days all be it from a passing train usually going to Eastleigh for a shed visit in the early 1960’s.

I would be very interested in seeing the progress of your Basingstoke layout, do you have a thread on this website?

Also a very Merry Christmas to you as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

David,

You are not too far from me then! I hope the link takes you to the thread. Not much to see as yet. I have two friends from the Bentley Model Railway Group (Calne) who have designed the track layout losely on Basingstoke and they will lay the track, wire it all up etc leaving me to build the shed etc...

I have built a J36 for the club and I am currently building a K2/2 for our club layout Kannotburn. You can see the layout at the Calne show on 18/19th January next. If you can make it, you will not be dissapointed!

Buy the way, I like your A2/1 and A2/2 I have a Thompson A2 to build at some time. Remember them at Haymarket, Peterborough and Kings Cross - big ugly brutes but I rather liked them.

Kind regards,

Richard B