Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi

As I stated in the last post I enclose a photo indicating some of Norman Saunders of "Just Tracks" hand built turnout point-work using C&L Finescale components he has built for me.

On the first phase of Haymarket 64B that its baseboard Not 4,5,6,and 7 there are a total of 14 turnout points.

In Phase Two that is Baseboards 8 & 9 there will be an additional 2 turnout points.

And in Phase Three that is baseboards 1,2 and 3 there will be an additional 12 turnout points.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-54030700-1527370383_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 11

Good Morning

A line up outside the shed of Five of Haymarket finest A4's, four of which I never ever saw in my train-spotting days.

i managed to see A4 60009 Union of South Africa in October 1964 when it came down to London on the Jubilee Requiem Rail tour 

Regards

David

post-6557-0-47067200-1527666576_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 9

wow, that's looking superb, hopefully spur you on now. once you get some ballasts or rather cinders down that'll looks just superb.

never saw 64B in its steam heyday, but passed it millions of time full of 20s,26s,27s etc and its grim to go past these days and see bits of plastic lying !! although perhaps steam guys might say the same about the diesels that followed. I must be getting old !!

​Hi David,

​Your Haymarket is looking superb . . . and evoking many memories of my weekly visits there in the mid/late 50s and very early 60s!

In your previous post (#583) you wrote "the access road leading from Russell Road down to the main shed" ​-- just so that you are aware, the access road from Russell Road actually led UP towards the sheds.  Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the area from the steam days (didn't have a camera in the 50s!).

​I expect you've probably exhausted all photographic and cartographic sources, but in case you haven't seen this, I'll attempt to include it in this post.  If I succeed in posting it, I have shown the access road in red >>>

attachicon.gifRussel Rd entrance.jpg

​In case anyone reading this is interested, here is the url link that will take you directly to that map above.  The map is fully 'zoomable' and it pretty much takes in the whole of the UK so you should probably be able to move the map around to find your own area and see what the map looked like umpteen years ago.  There is also a blue button on the left-hand panel which can be slid left to right/right to left and it transforms the map into modern day Google image of the same area - - -

​ - - - here's the link >>> 

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=55.9426&lon=-3.2344&layers=170&b=1

NOTE: You just have to click on the "X" in the top R/H corner of the white 'information' page which will at first appear in front of the map when the map opens on their website.

In the 1970s/1980s I think there were still some of the original railway buildings on the old site. Edinburgh Corporation had what we now call a 'recycling centre' for disposal of large items. There was also a metal engraving company who produced brass signs, etc. Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned, we would never have considered taking photographs back then, unless you were a railway modeller! In the late 1950s/early 1960s, I attended Balgreen Primary School, just along the track from the Haymarket Sheds and the boys disappeared there every luchtime with their Ian Allan trainspotting books. We had a class of 44, so there might have been quite a few lads there.

Marlyn

• Like 1

wow, that's looking superb, hopefully spur you on now. once you get some ballasts or rather cinders down that'll looks just superb.

never saw 64B in its steam heyday, but passed it millions of time full of 20s,26s,27s etc and its grim to go past these days and see bits of plastic lying !! although perhaps steam guys might say the same about the diesels that followed. I must be getting old !!

Hi 

Many thanks for your kind comments, it will make a big difference to the photography once the landscaping has been completed.

But that is a way off at the moment there is still plenty of tracking wiring and track laying to do, then the point motors all need to be fitted then hopefully I can start landscaping.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

In the 1970s/1980s I think there were still some of the original railway buildings on the old site. Edinburgh Corporation had what we now call a 'recycling centre' for disposal of large items. There was also a metal engraving company who produced brass signs, etc. Unfortunately, as has already been mentioned, we would never have considered taking photographs back then, unless you were a railway modeller! In the late 1950s/early 1960s, I attended Balgreen Primary School, just along the track from the Haymarket Sheds and the boys disappeared there every luchtime with their Ian Allan trainspotting books. We had a class of 44, so there might have been quite a few lads there.

Marlyn

Thank you Marlyn

Coming from London,  Edinburgh to us young trainspotters seemed so far away to us, I have never been to Haymarket MPD but with all the research I have done combined with great help from other RM Web members who were local to the MPD in Steam day I feel as though I know just about every square foot of the depot and the surround yards.

I do get the impression hearing from fellow members who visited the MPD in Steam days there were a few access points into the depot where you could observe loco movements around the shed and yards without drawing to much attention to the authorities who worked there.

Unlike Kings Cross MPD which I suppose was our Haymarket there was very little chance of getting into the MPD unauthorised, the only way I knew to gain access was via a canal tow path which ran right past the Transport Police HQ.

I only ever got into the Depot once, Haymarket in Steam days must have been a fabulous place to be for a trainspotter.

Great memories of both ends of the ECML.

Thank you for your reply.

Regards

David 

Edited by landscapes

You have a very ambitious and wonderful layout, David. Will keep following your progress. I am still in touch with some old Edinburgh school pals and will let you know if there are any other snippets of memories, which might add to your research.

All the best,

Marlyn

You have a very ambitious and wonderful layout, David. Will keep following your progress. I am still in touch with some old Edinburgh school pals and will let you know if there are any other snippets of memories, which might add to your research.

All the best,

Marlyn

Hi Marlyn

That is very kind of you, any help and information regarding Haymarket MPD especially in steam days will be very welcome and appreciated.

Regards

David

Good morning

I am still working on the scenic area's of the main shed entrance, as this area is not affected by any track work or wiring so it's a bit more progress,

It was recently pointed out to me by fellow member 60027Merlin that the access road surface leading from Russell Road down to Haymarket MPD entrance was covered with Granite Setts similar to Cobblestones, and for this information from Eric I am very grateful indeed,

I was also very fortunate that recently there was on old Black & White Film called "Waverley Steps" shown on the TV about a week ago and for those who are not familiar with this film its about every day life in Edinburgh in 1948.

The opening shots show an A4 at high speed on the ECML and for the first five minutes follows the loco crew arriving at Waverley Station then off to Haymarket MPD.

The final shots of the loco crew see then leaving the depot with their bicycles and they walk over the cobblestones or Setts to leave the MPD,this gave me a good view on how they run down in to depot yard and disappear below layers of ash built up over the years, this again was very helpful in trying to replicate the same surface and it gave and indication of where in the MPD the Setts faded out.

I was also found out that Wills-Kits produce Granite Setts in plastic sheet form Ref No SSMP204 and my local Model Railway Shop had them in stock.

They were cut out, filed and glued down onto the cork surface of the baseboards, then painted dark grey and then dry brushed in various shades of colour. 

Couple of photos enclosed to show the work so far , I will stress that this is partly my own interpretation of what the shed entrance to Haymarket would have looked like.

In my first photo I hope that this will give some idea of what a visitor to Haymarket MPD in the late 1950's may have seen as they walked down the access road and seeing the main running shed in the background with a line up of ECML Pacific's standing outside.

Please note that the static grass to the embankments is still to be applied this will be done towards the end of the project.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-74112100-1528111840_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-43883900-1528111946_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 11

Good Evening

I enclose an new photo of Haymarket 64B indicating two locomotives which are particular favourites of mine.

They are the Bachmann D11/2 4-4-0 class, they were often seen around Haymarket MPD in the 1950's.

One is a Haymarket based locomotive the other is a visitor from Glasgow.

I am also hoping to receive a Thompson A2/3 Class loco on Thursday, this is a Bachmann A2 conversion using Graeme King's Resin and Etched parts, but more on this if it arrives later this week?

Regards

David

post-6557-0-64584200-1528753664_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi

One more additional photo with added smoke curtesy of Photoshop.

I am never quite sure how other fellow members feel about seeing photos of model railway layouts with smoke added, I would welcome any comments good or bad to get an idea of members views this subject.

I have been informed a few times that my layout of Haymarket was always appears far to clean compared with the real MPD in steam days, so for the time being this is my way of making it look more like a working steam shed.

Also I do enjoy playing around with Photoshop Elements as well.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-63533300-1528836350_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Don't like added smoke as a rule but this seems to catch it, although the cylinder emissions might be a shade whiter?

Hi Richard

Thank you, yes now looking at the photo you are right, to be honest the only reason I added the smoke around the cylinders and loco wheels was to try to hide some of the cork and Templot paper sheets for the time being until I can start the floor finishes to the shed and yard floors.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Good Evening

I enclose an new photo of Haymarket 64B indicating two locomotives which are particular favourites of mine.

They are the Bachmann D11/2 4-4-0 class, they were often seen around Haymarket MPD in the 1950's.

One is a Haymarket based locomotive the other is a visitor from Glasgow.

I am also hoping to receive a Thompson A2/3 Class loco on Thursday, this is a Bachmann A2 conversion using Graeme King's Resin and Etched parts, but more on this if it arrives later this week?

Regards

David

Any sign of the Thompsons'

Hi David

Hopefully I will be collecting one A2/3 60521 Watling Street tomorrow, if I do I will post photos as well.

A2/3 60611 Airborne will be available in about six weeks time.

May have some news of Three Thompson A2/3’s for sale some time in the future as well if anyone is interested in purchasing one.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

Hi David

Hopefully I will be collecting one A2/3 60521 Watling Street tomorrow, if I do I will post photos as well.

A2/3 60611 Airborne will be available in about six weeks time.

May have some news of Three Thompson A2/3’s for sale some time in the future as well if anyone is interested in purchasing one.

Regards

David

Ive got two with thoughts of two more at some point. But I'm in no hurry. Edited by davidw

Hi David

Just to let you know I collected the A2/3 60521 Watling Street this morning.

The model looks really nice I am very please with will it, I will post some photos tomorrow.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes

British Railways Illustrated, Vol. 23, No. 11 (August 2014) ha an article entitled "24 hours at Haymarket shed, 6th July 1961".   A few shots of the shed are included which might be useful, along with a listing of locos used and for which trains etc.

Article also mentions an earlier look at the shed for 6th February 1957, in BRILL April 2013.

Hope of use.

British Railways Illustrated, Vol. 23, No. 11 (August 2014) ha an article entitled "24 hours at Haymarket shed, 6th July 1961".   A few shots of the shed are included which might be useful, along with a listing of locos used and for which trains etc.

Article also mentions an earlier look at the shed for 6th February 1957, in BRILL April 2013.

Hope of use.

Hi 26power

Thank you for the information, I was aware of this article and managed to get that copy of that addition of British Railways Illustrated on Ebay.

There was some really good photos of Haymarket and some views which I had never seen before it was really useful.

But thanks all the same.

Regards

David

Good Evening

A couple of photos of my latest arrival, a Bachmann A2 converted to a Thompson A2/3 using Graeme King's Resin and Brass etched parts.

This is A2/3 60521 Watling Street the first of two, the other conversion will be A2/3 60511 Airborne and that will be ready in about seven weeks time, both regular visitors to Haymarket in the late 1950's and early 1960's

The vast majority of the conversion work was carried out by Gareth of Replica Railways in Swindon, my part was the fitting of all detailed parts and all the etched nameplates, works and shed plates plus all transfers and linings to both loco and tender using Fox Transfers.

We do have one small problem with 60521 Watling Street that is there is a rise of about 1.5mm along the footplate from cab to smokebox door so its going to need some minor adjustments to it, the strange thing is the boiler is dead straight and parallel with the rails.

Anyway two photo enclosed, love or hate them I find  Thompson's LNER Pacific's fine looking locomotives and I am very pleased with this addition to the layout.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-35628800-1529101271_thumb.jpg

post-6557-0-90355300-1529101508_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

G'Day Folks

At the moment, I have two A2 bodies a A3 cab a Brit chassis, a tender and the plates for.....Watling Street, sitting on the workbench in the shed, a slow burn build.

manna

G'Day Folks

At the moment, I have two A2 bodies a A3 cab a Brit chassis, a tender and the plates for.....Watling Street, sitting on the workbench in the shed, a slow burn build.

manna

Hi

A that’s bit like my Haymarket layout that’s a slow burn build as well.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 1

Good Evening

A couple of photos of my latest arrival, a Bachmann A2 converted to a Thompson A2/3 using Graeme King's Resin and Brass etched parts.

This is A2/3 60521 Watling Street the first of two, the other conversion will be A2/3 60511 Airborne and that will be ready in about seven weeks time, both regular visitors to Haymarket in the late 1950's and early 1960's

The vast majority of the conversion work was carried out by Gareth of Replica Railways in Swindon, my part was the fitting of all detailed parts and all the etched nameplates, works and shed plates plus all transfers and linings to both loco and tender using Fox Transfers.

We do have one small problem with 60521 Watling Street that is there is a rise of about 1.5mm along the footplate from cab to smokebox door so its going to need some minor adjustments to it, the strange thing is the boiler is dead straight and parallel with the rails.

Anyway two photo enclosed, love or hate them I find Thompson's LNER Pacific's fine looking locomotives and I am very pleased with this addition to the layout.

Regards

David

Impressive!

Impressive!

Hi David

Thank you I think Gareth has done a superb job on this one.

As I have already said we had a joint venture converting Five Bachmann A2’s into Thompson A2/3’s

Watling Street and Airborne are the first two, there will be an additional Three more some time in the future.

If anyone is interested in purchasing any of these please PM me and I will pass your details on.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Good Evening

One more photo of A2/3 60521 Watling Street in traditional Haymarket MPD Style posed on the Turntable just outside the main running shed.

I think this angle of photo shows of the style of the Thompson Class A2/3 at it's best, a big powerful looking LNER Pacific locomotive.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-23199900-1529185601_thumb.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 3