Haymarket 64B

landscapes

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, davidw said:

You'd do far better with a Graeme King resin chimney. Far crisper than a white metal version. I've done this with half a dozen for myself and others its a perfect fit

Thanks David, I might look into that.  I don't think they were available when I bought mine - it was a few years ago!

On 18/03/2020 at 13:51, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Yes it really is you have no control over what you would normally do and take for granted.

My sister has lived in Spain for the last 17 years and under the total lockdown we could not visit her nor could she visit us, you are virtually a prisoner in your own home.

In times like this it’s so important to have hobbies or interests you can do such as our hobby of model railways and even communicating with friends on RMweb is important as well.

i do not want to be a prophet of  doom but we may face a similar situation here in the UK in due course but hopefully not as draconian as the laws in Spain.

I have just been told I must self isolate for 7 days as we have traveled back from a highly affected country and traveled through airports but lucky for me I have plenty to get in with and my wife has a very long list of jobs she wants doing.

Thanks for your reply, stay well and safe.

Regards

David

A prophet of doom indeed , David . Glad you got back home safely . Now is the time to fit the wiggly smokebox pipework to your pacifics ( is that the technical term !!) as per Tony on his thread . Do not worry too much about ever single pipe as it can look overcrowded & remember every engine was different depending on the fitter involved .

Keep safe ,

Regards ,

Ray .

48 minutes ago, davidw said:

You'd do far better with a Graeme King resin chimney. Far crisper than a white metal version. I've done this with half a dozen for myself and others its a perfect fit

Hi David

Many thanks I was not aware Graeme produced a resin A4 double chimney, I now know where to go next time I need one.

Regards

David

40 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

A prophet of doom indeed , David . Glad you got back home safely . Now is the time to fit the wiggly smokebox pipework to your pacifics ( is that the technical term !!) as per Tony on his thread . Do not worry too much about ever single pipe as it can look overcrowded & remember every engine was different depending on the fitter involved .

Keep safe ,

Regards ,

Ray .

Hi Ray

Thank you for that, yes indeed it is time to have a go at the wiggly pipework , but I think I will try a couple of dry runs to get a feel of putting the whole thing together before I actually try it on one of my models.

Yes very nice to be back and we ventured out today to our local Aldi supermarket after 7 days of self isolation, it was not a bad as I thought it would be.

All credit to Aldi only letting so many customers in the store at any one time and calling out for any Key Workers to rightfully give them priority to get their shopping, also they ensured customers stayed 2 meters apart at the checkouts and a good selection of food was available as well.

I am going to try some more low level photography on the layout this evening trying different views and with different locomotives as well.

Stay safe and well.

Regards

David

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Keep safe ,

Regards ,

Ray .

Edited by landscapes

HI

A couple more photos taken with the camera positioned directly on the base board.

I am hoping to get better results once I have the shutter cable release as it should allow me to take a selection of the same image for photo stacking, well thats the theory.

Regards

David

60098_IMG_0161_edited-1.jpg

60009_IMG_0169_edited-1.jpg

• Like 10

Hi 

This is note regarding the photos i am downloading on this thread, the layout is far from finished and unfortunately the person who was going to help me in the next stages is in the risk category for coronavirus so thats postponed for the time being.

At present I am just experimenting with my camera to get and idea of different angles and views across the layout and to try out different settings and photographic techniques as well

The setting up of the camera and photoshopping of images is an excellent way for me to take up some of the extra time I now have on my hands especially in the evenings when lighting conditions over the layout are far better than the use of natural lighting due to the room location and window size.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi 

This is note regarding the photos i am downloading on this thread, the layout is far from finished and unfortunately the person who was going to help me in the next stages is in the risk category for coronavirus so thats postponed for the time being.

At present I am just experimenting with my camera to get and idea of different angles and views across the layout and to try out different settings and photographic techniques as well

The setting up of the camera and photoshopping of images is an excellent way for me to take up some of the extra time I now have on my hands especially in the evenings when lighting conditions over the layout are far better than the use of natural lighting due to the room location and window size.

Regards

David

I think a lot of us are in that position David. I had a visit from Tim arranged which I hoped would cure a lot of my coupling frustrations, but it had to be aborted, until goodness knows when. I'm finding though that there are plenty of things  that I can be doing.

Nearly all my photography is done from rail level, with five seconds delay to avoid camera shake, and it seems to work pretty well. Just moving round and plonking the camera down is well worth while. Not all positions work, but you may be surprised how many do.

• Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, great northern said:

I think a lot of us are in that position David. I had a visit from Tim arranged which I hoped would cure a lot of my coupling frustrations, but it had to be aborted, until goodness knows when. I'm finding though that there are plenty of things  that I can be doing.

Nearly all my photography is done from rail level, with five seconds delay to avoid camera shake, and it seems to work pretty well. Just moving round and plonking the camera down is well worth while. Not all positions work, but you may be surprised how many do.

Hi Gilbert

I totally agree with you and perhaps did not explain myself correctly, it is the just positioning the camera down in different locations on the layout which can sometimes give some very pleasing results and well as the ones you think why did I bother.

For many of us now RMweb will be an excellent way of using your time and communicating with other members and seeing all those wonderful model railway layouts.

Although my Wife's list of jobs to do around the house and garden is also growing as well.

Thank you for your reply and keep well.

Regards

David

On 24/03/2020 at 17:20, landscapes said:

Hi Ray

Thank you for that, yes indeed it is time to have a go at the wiggly pipework , but I think I will try a couple of dry runs to get a feel of putting the whole thing together before I actually try it on one of my models.

Yes very nice to be back and we ventured out today to our local Aldi supermarket after 7 days of self isolation, it was not a bad as I thought it would be.

All credit to Aldi only letting so many customers in the store at any one time and calling out for any Key Workers to rightfully give them priority to get their shopping, also they ensured customers stayed 2 meters apart at the checkouts and a good selection of food was available as well.

I am going to try some more low level photography on the layout this evening trying different views and with different locomotives as well.

Stay safe and well.

Regards

David

Hello , David . Yes it is a good idea to have a couple of dry runs as it is a fiddly bit of soldering . However , if you do make a b**** up ( as I do regularly ) it is a simple matter to try again without losing much apart from a bit of wire & an odd handrail knob . I think you'll find the difference it makes to your already fine engines well worth the effort & bad language .

Round York all the shops are taking proper precautions now & it does make shopping slower , but what price health . At least we are still allowed out in a sensible way .

All the best ,

Ray .

3 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

Hello , David . Yes it is a good idea to have a couple of dry runs as it is a fiddly bit of soldering . However , if you do make a b**** up ( as I do regularly ) it is a simple matter to try again without losing much apart from a bit of wire & an odd handrail knob . I think you'll find the difference it makes to your already fine engines well worth the effort & bad language .

Round York all the shops are taking proper precautions now & it does make shopping slower , but what price health . At least we are still allowed out in a sensible way .

All the best ,

Ray .

H Ray

Yes you are quite right and I do have plenty of 5amp fuse wire and handrail knobs , I will probably need them as well.

Two weeks ago I was still in Spain and their lockdown does not include daily exercise, you are only allowed out for food or medicines and no other reason or you get fined, and the local police are checking for till receipts as well.

So at the moment we are not quite as bad as some may think we are.

Nice talking to you, take care and stay safe.

I'm going to spend some more time later taking photos of different locomotives on the layout.

Regards

David

• Like 1

Good Evening

A couple more photos of a RTR Hornby A4 60028 Walter K Whigham which I have renumbered and named and A2/1 60510 Robert the Bruce a PDK Kit built for me some time ago, again I have changed the identity from it's original guise which was 60509 Waverley.

I have had some fun and games the 60510 yesterday I noticed a small piece of shiny brass that should not have been there only to find the last handrail knob nearest to the loco cab had come loose from the boiler I then noticed on the other side the corresponding handrail knob was completely missing.

Lucky I had some spare short handrail knobs from Markit's, I then spent the next hour trying to thread the knob onto the handrail wire and at the same time trying to position it and relocate it back into the boiler side.

After three times on my hands and knees trying to find the dam thing on the floor I finally completed the repair, so frustrating.

Regards

David

60028_IMG_0183B.jpg

60510_IMG_0190B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 26/03/2020 at 19:47, landscapes said:

Good Evening

A couple more photos of a RTR Hornby A4 60028 Walter K Whigham which I have renumbered and named and A2/1 60510 Robert the Bruce a PDK Kit built for me some time ago, again I have changed the identity from it's original guise which was 60509 Waverley.

I have had some fun and games the 60510 yesterday I noticed a small piece of shiny brass that should not have been there only to find the last handrail knob nearest to the loco cab had come loose from the boiler I then noticed on the other side the corresponding handrail knob was completely missing.

Lucky I had some spare short handrail knobs from Markit's, I then spent the next hour trying to thread the knob onto the handrail wire and at the same time trying to position it and relocate it back into the boiler side.

After three times on my hands and knees trying to find the dam thing on the floor I finally completed the repair, so frustrating.

Regards

David

60028_IMG_0183B.jpg

We've all been there , David , usually I find the missing parts about a week later where I've already checked a dozen times . I blame the Borrowers !

Excellent photos , keep them coming ,

Cheers ,

Ray .                        

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

43 minutes ago, Ray Flintoft said:

We've all been there , David , usually I find the missing parts about a week later where I've already checked a dozen times . I blame the Borrowers !

Excellent photos , keep them coming ,

Cheers ,

Ray .                        

Hi Ray

Thanks you, I have been working on a few of the signs around the turntable area and fitted a few point lever handles as well, all just decorative and non working as the points will eventually be operated by point motors.

I have positioned them as close as I can looking at prototype photos of the MPD.

I will try to post dome photos over the next few days.

Regards

David 

On 26/03/2020 at 19:47, landscapes said:

Good Evening

Regards

David

60028_IMG_0183B.jpg

Lovely pictures, David,

And perfect bogie wheels on the A2/1.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely pictures, David,

And perfect bogie wheels on the A2/1.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony for your kind comments.

I have been asking you in the past about details of the improved bogie wheels you fit to your locomotives and did not realise I had them already fitted to my PDK A2/1.

Comparing them with the ones fitted to my two Bachmann A2/3 conversions I can now see what an improvement they are.

More to be ordered from Markits once this madness settles down.

Regards

David

• Thanks 1

Good Evening

A beautiful sunny evening gave some nice lighting on the layout which is unusual as I normally take nearly all my photos in the evening using the LED lighting fitted above the layout,

This view show the opposite direction showing my interpretation of the main shed entrance Road located of Russell Road, unfortunately you can also see the end of the baseboard as well.

There will be a continuation with three additional baseboards to this side of the layout each 610mm wide plus an appropriate scenic backboard as well, but thats in the future with still lots to do first.

In the foreground is one of the signs located around the turntable plus my first attempt at constructing a point lever handle, all of these are a close as possible to prototype photos I have.

Regards

David 

60521_IMG_0243B.jpg

• Like 10

Hi

I hope everyone is keeping safe and well.

A couple of new photos to add this morning.

Hornby J36 Class 65311 Haig stands outside the main running shed complete with snow plough, I have actually seen a photo of this class on shed at Haymarket fitted with the snow plough so I will leave it fitted for the time being

Also a second photo showing some of the smaller out buildings around the main entrance road and the northern perimeter of the MPD, I also took the opportunity to try out a static grass applicator as these area's are scenic but are not immediately near any of the track work. 

Regards

David

65311_IMG_0259B.jpg

Shed_View_IMG_0252B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 9

Good Morning

I have tried a low level photo of Bachmann Conversion A2/3 60511 Airborne going past Haymarket MPD.

This photo was taken last night using the room LED lighting only  but I am not 100% happy with the final result so I may try again either in natural daylight or try to adjust the lighting if I can.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0273B.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Good Morning

I have tried a low level photo of Bachmann Conversion A2/3 60511 Airborne going past Haymarket MPD.

This photo was taken last night using the room LED lighting only  but I am not 100% happy with the final result so I may try again either in natural daylight or try to adjust the lighting if I can.

Regards

David

60511_IMG_0273B.jpg

I wouldn't get anything anywhere near that good under artificial lighting David. It is very close to being dead right. Natural light might just help, I think.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gilbert

Thank you for your kind comments.

It's just the clarity of the locomotive I am not happy with I normally get a better photo using the LED lights but the position of the loco puts it directly underneath the light fittings rather than side on.

I would much prefer to photograph using natural daylight but the position of the only window in the room does give a backlighting effect and repaying your compliment I cannot achieve daylight photos to the standard that you produce on Peterborough North.

Incidentally I read on your thread recently that you found the detail parts for your Blue Deltic DP1 but needed to find out where they all went.

I enclose a photo of my own DP1 with detail parts fitted how accurate they are I am not sure but I do hope the enclosed photo helps.

I did replace the existing three link screw coupling, this photo was taken just now in natural lighting as I could position the locomotive at the far end of my layout near the window.

Regards

David 

IMG_0288.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

Thank you for your kind comments.

It's just the clarity of the locomotive I am not happy with I normally get a better photo using the LED lights but the position of the loco puts it directly underneath the light fittings rather than side on.

I would much prefer to photograph using natural daylight but the position of the only window in the room does give a backlighting effect and repaying your compliment I cannot achieve daylight photos to the standard that you produce on Peterborough North.

Incidentally I read on your thread recently that you found the detail parts for your Blue Deltic DP1 but needed to find out where they all went.

I enclose a photo of my own DP1 with detail parts fitted how accurate they are I am not sure but I do hope the enclosed photo helps.

I did replace the existing three link screw coupling, this photo was taken just now in natural lighting as I could position the locomotive at the far end of my layout near the window.

Regards

David 

IMG_0288.jpg

Thanks David. I guess that means I'll have to have a go at it now.