Haymarket 64B

landscapes

Hi

Today I am concentrating on some of the buildings and structures scattered around Haymarket MPD.

Like the real thing model railway buildings over a period of time get into a dilapidated condition mainly due to ware and tear and moment of different building materials when fixed together .

The General Offices's building at Haymarket had a glazed varandah constructed on the North side of the building to give staff a bit of extra comfort.

I scratch built this structure from limited prototype photos using thick card, plastic sheeting and brick papers, the Varandah was made up in four part by York Modelmaking Ltd from a sketch drawing I provided using 1mm thick Rowmark plastic.

I recently discovered that the two end panels had warped due to the acrylic sheeting I applied to represent the glazing which left an unsightly gap at each end of the roof panel, I tried to glue them back straight but no luck.

Lucky for me I was able to completely dismantle the Varandah, then a rebuild and repaint plus a bit of extra support it went back better than before and the gaps have gone.

Also enclosed is a photo of A2/1 60510 and J36 65311both sitting below the huge Water Tank that suppled water to the entire MPD.

Regards

David

Shed_View_IMG_1378B_edited-1.jpg

60510_IMG_1350B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice buildings, David!

I was looking at some colour pictures of locos on Haymarket recently (in "Peppercorn's Pacifics" by Peter Tuffrey) and it looks as though some of the real depot buildings had the brickwork painted a bright orange / red colour at some point which seems an odd thing to do; perhaps to try and brighten the place up a bit!

Sorry to mention it after you've obviously gone to a lot of trouble with the brickwork of your models!

2 hours ago, 31A said:

Nice buildings, David!

I was looking at some colour pictures of locos on Haymarket recently (in "Peppercorn's Pacifics" by Peter Tuffrey) and it looks as though some of the real depot buildings had the brickwork painted a bright orange / red colour at some point which seems an odd thing to do; perhaps to try and brighten the place up a bit!

Sorry to mention it after you've obviously gone to a lot of trouble with the brickwork of your models!

Hi

Actually if you read Harry Knox's second book he published on Haymarket he mentions that at some point in the 1950's most of the brick buildings at Haymarket MPD were painted in a Terracotta colour paint, he does not give a reason why.

As you say it may have been to brighten up the brickwork on the buildings due to the dusty and smokey environment and thats why I chose the colour brick papers I have used on most of the buildings on the layout.

But thanks for letting me know.

Regards

David

Edited by landscapes
Additional Information
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

I have perhaps asked before, but has your fantastic layout travelled to any exhibitions? If so lets hope post Covid-19 you exhibit again. Really great work on my favourite aspect of our hobby - locomotives and loco depots.

I assume you have placed orders for A2/1,2 and 3 from Hornby? Although by the looks of it you have enough already. Perhaps you could justify (to yourself) 60700?

Kind regards,

Richard B

22 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

I have perhaps asked before, but has your fantastic layout travelled to any exhibitions? If so lets hope post Covid-19 you exhibit again. Really great work on my favourite aspect of our hobby - locomotives and loco depots.

I assume you have placed orders for A2/1,2 and 3 from Hornby? Although by the looks of it you have enough already. Perhaps you could justify (to yourself) 60700?

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

Thank you, the layout still has a long way to go before its anywhere near completed, so obviously its not been to any exhibitions.

It is purely a stay at home layout but I have designed all the baseboards so that it can very easily be dismantled and transported if required.

That was done as a house move is on the cards sometime in the next few years.

I have just placed and order for one of the new Hornby A2/2's No 60501 as I have seen photographic evidence that it did visit the Edinburgh area in the mid 1950's I also have photos of other members of the class at Haymarket in the late 1950's as well.

But unfortunately the locos in my photos have different cabs to the two models Hornby are producing.

I already have two A2/3's class locos which are Bachmann conversions using Graeme KIng's brass etches and resin parts, but I am sure I will place and order for the Hornby A2/3 as well soon.

I really would like the W1 Class as 60700 but in reality I don't think it ever got to Haymarket and I don't know if my budget could afford that as well.

Thanks again for your interest.

Regards

David

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

Kind regards,

Richard B

Good evening Richard,

Hornby are not doing an A2/1.

The class was discussed during my helping Hornby with the development of the A2/2 and A2/3 models, but there are too many differences to make it viable - different boiler and firebox, shorter Cartazzi truck and slightly shorter footplate, etc.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/05/2020 at 15:15, landscapes said:

Good Afternoon

Todays photos concentrate on two of Haymarket's long standing Pacific's.

A3 60101 Cicero and A4 60012 Commonwealth of Australia, both loco's are Hornby RTR.

60012 has been fitted with a replacement white metal double chimney and 60101 has had an identity change as it started out as 60077 The White Knight, both locos have been weathered but not to much to represent the condition that Haymarket kept it's top link Pacific's.

A3 60101 Cicero from what I have read was a very rare locomotive down south from a trainspotters point of view, apparently it very rarely ventured south of Newcastle, and this time I do have the correct Waverley Headboard with a light Blue background found in my odds and ends box.

A4 60012 was I believe the very last steam locomotive to leave Haymarket back in September 1963 transferred to Dalry Road.

Regards

David

60101_IMG_1134B_edited-1.jpg

60012_IMG_1147B_edited-1.jpg

60101_IMG_1158B_edited-1.jpg

Lovely images David,

A friend, who lived in the Home Counties as a boy, recalls seeing 'I died waiting for CICERO' chalked on a wall at Hadley Wood Station!

I never saw it.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Richard,

The class was discussed during my helping Hornby with the development of the A2/2 and A2/3 models, but there are too many differences to make it viable - different boiler and firebox, shorter Cartazzi truck and slightly shorter footplate, etc.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hi Richard

Carrying on from Tony's comments the locomotive in the photo at the top of the page is a Thompson A2/1, this was built for me by PDK using their own kit about eight years ago.

Regards

David

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Lovely images David,

A friend, who lived in the Home Counties as a boy, recalls seeing 'I died waiting for CICERO' chalked on a wall at Hadley Wood Station!

I never saw it.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony

I have also heard that saying about CICERO as well, but I didn't know it was at Hadley Wood Station.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Richard,

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

Yes I'm sorry I got my A2 variations in a twist - A2/2 and A2/3, still what do you expect from a Southern man!

Kind regards and keep up the good work,

Richard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Richard 

I am with you there, Although I grew up only a few miles from the ECML in steam days and spent most of my time.at Kings Cross and model Haymarket I have always liked the Bulleid Pacific’s especially in the un rebuilt condition.

Regards

David 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi David,

I had an Uncle who looked after New Southgate station on the ECML so my brother and I spent time there in the early 1960's spotting all those fabulous LNER/BR pacifics so I guess my liking for those loco's dates from then.

I have also enjoyed reading the A4/A1-2 books of Peter Coster who writes so well on the engineering detail (I was an Engineer on BR) and "political" background of the Gresley-Thompson-Peppercorn era. The discription of how Gresley and his team developed the A4 and the streamlined coach sets in a matter of months is really fantastic.

In my madder moments I have always thought that this period would make a very dramatic and uplifting film with the right script!

Re Bulleid, he really was the last great British steam loco designer and his pacifics were first class in many respects. With more modern materials and lubricants even the chain drive valvegear could have worked without fitters having to work in such appalling conditions. Drivers loved the originals - reduced oiling!! ...and they went so well!

Keep up the good work with Haymarket - I visited the shed with my first free pass back in 1963 when an apprentice.

Kind regards,

Richard B

7 hours ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

I had an Uncle who looked after New Southgate station on the ECML so my brother and I spent time there in the early 1960's spotting all those fabulous LNER/BR pacifics so I guess my liking for those loco's dates from then.

I have also enjoyed reading the A4/A1-2 books of Peter Coster who writes so well on the engineering detail (I was an Engineer on BR) and "political" background of the Gresley-Thompson-Peppercorn era. The discription of how Gresley and his team developed the A4 and the streamlined coach sets in a matter of months is really fantastic.

In my madder moments I have always thought that this period would make a very dramatic and uplifting film with the right script!

Re Bulleid, he really was the last great British steam loco designer and his pacifics were first class in many respects. With more modern materials and lubricants even the chain drive valvegear could have worked without fitters having to work in such appalling conditions. Drivers loved the originals - reduced oiling!! ...and they went so well!

Keep up the good work with Haymarket - I visited the shed with my first free pass back in 1963 when an apprentice.

Kind regards,

Richard B

Hi Richard

I wonder if we ever were in the same location at any time as I started trainspotting in September 1962 and Hornsey, Finsbury Park and King's Cross Stations were my usual haunts.

Unfortunately I never got to visit Haymarket MPD, and later on in life it was the fascination of those Scottish based Pacific's as a young boy that drove me to trying to produce Haymarket MPS in model form.

Talking of Bulleid Pacific' I also spent may a day at Waterloo and Vauxhall stations in the same period and the unrebuilt versions of WC & BB were of as much interest to me as the LNER Pacific's.

In fact if I hadn't modelled Haymarket Padstow would have been my second choice.

Before I got into railway modelling about eight years ago I use to do a lot of railway photography selling my photos at the preserved heritage lines and attending many private special railway photographic charters as well.

I enclose below two photos taken at the Bluebell Railway on one such charter about twelve years ago with double headed unrebilt Bulleid Pacific's what a sight that was and we were blessed with perfect weather conditions as well.

Regards

David

IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5190.jpg

Edited by landscapes
Additional Photo
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
On 12/06/2020 at 18:04, landscapes said:

I wonder if we ever were in the same location at any time as I started trainspotting in September 1962 and Hornsey, Finsbury Park and King's Cross Stations were my usual haunts.

Hi David,

I suspect that we were in the same area in the early 1960's. My brother and I usually parked ourselves on what was called the Moorgate platform on the York Road side of Kings Cross watching the pacifics back out of the tunnel. I think the first few Deltic's were in evidence. We also managed to "bunk" Top Shed on one occasion. We used to trip up to the London sheds (Nine Elms, Old Oak, Willesden and usually Cricklewood) on Saturday's we lived in Old Basing in Hampshire then.

Your photographic skills are much in evidence with you super pictures of your Haymarket. I wish I had those skills!

Kind regards,

Richard

Edited by 30368
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, 30368 said:

Hi David,

I suspect that we were in the same area in the early 1960's. My brother and I usually parked ourselves on what was called the Moorgate plateform on the York Road side of Kings Cross watching the pacifics back out of the tunnel. I think the first few Deltic's were in evidence. We also managed to "bunk" Top Shed on one occasion. We used to trip up to the London sheds (Nine Elms, Old Oak, Willesden and usually Cricklewood) on Saturday's we lived in Old Basing in Hampshire then.

Your photographic skills are much in evidence with you super pictures of your Haymarket. I wish I had those skills!

Kind regards,

Richard

Hi Richard

Thank you for your kind comments.

I agree we may have been there at the same time as my friend and I also use to stand on the York Road side of the terminus, it was a lot easier than trying to get onto the main platforms at Kings Cross.

Like you I only managed to get into King's Cross Top Shed once and that was just before it closed in 1963, I was so scared we ran around the shed everything was a blur but I do remember A4 60023 Golden Eagle and 60022 Mallard both on shed as I had not seen either of them before.

What great days they were, just waiting for someone to invent a time machine.

Regards

David 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

All this stuff about bunking Top Shed; sorry to say I managed it when my uncle was a fitter there and my father took me there to meet him. They took the mickey out of me forever after as apparently I didn't want to blow Mallard's whistle because of the noise it would make, and preferred a Diesel because it wasn't too hot!  Sadly I can't remember much about it, as I was about 5 years old at the time ....

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

31A - it sounds as if you still regret missing the opportunity?

Well Mallard is still around so perhaps.....

Kind regards,

Richard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 30368 said:

31A - it sounds as if you still regret missing the opportunity?

Well Mallard is still around so perhaps.....

Kind regards,

Richard

Thank you Richard, quite right and yes who knows!

• Like 1

Hi

Following my short excursion to the Southern Region and Bulleid Pacific's , its now back to Haymarket MPD.

Todays photos shows A3 60093 Coronach a Carlisle Canal MPD based locomotive complete with the Waverley Headboard and lamps on ready to leave the depot and run down to Waverley station and return home.

The loco is a standard Hornby RTR Model with some added details.

Regards

David

60093_IMG_1382B.jpg

60093_IMG_1389B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
additional Information & Photo
  • Like 10

Hi

Todays photo is of the unique A3 60097 Humorist standing on number one road at Haymarket MPD.

This was a standard RTR Hornby A3 fitted with the special etched brass smoke deflectors made by Jackson Evans some time ago plus additional detailing.

This A3 was a long term resident at 64B.

Regards

David

60097_IMG_1403B.jpg

• Like 11

Hi

Today we get away from the large Pacific locomotives.

This is a Hornby Caley Pug with a scratch built converted coal tender which I scratch built for a total cost of £4.50.

I am not sue if these locomotives ever got to Haymarket MPD, this particular locomotive was allocated to St Margarets MPD for a few years until autumn 1957, just a little bit earlier than my layout date of 1958/1959 so I suppose this is a bit of artistic licence.

Regards

David

56035_IMG_1485B.jpg

• Like 12

Hi

A new visitor to Haymarket, Top Shed's A4 60010 Dominion Of Canada waiting to leave and return south and home.

This was the first A4 I ever cabbed at Kings Cross Station back in January 1963.

Regards

David 

60010_IMG_1499B.jpg

Edited by landscapes
New Photo
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi

Photos for today show Thompson A2/1 60510 Robert the Bruce waiting to go off to Waverley Station with the Queen of Scots Headboard, while D11/2 62690 Lady of the Lake runs off the turntable towards the ash pits.

I have tried to photograph a new view showing the turntable and looking west down the side of the main shed building towards the coaling tower.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_1520B_edited-1.jpg

62690_IMG_1511B_edited-1.jpg

• Like 9