Barrow Hill 22/23rd September

silverlink

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few that I took at Model Rail Live on 22nd September.

Glen Gillie

Albion Yard

Dragonby

The Railway Children

Outon Road

Arne Wharf

Polbrock

Thirsty work running trains.

:P

A few pictures of the forthcoming 2Hs (Class 205) from Kernow.

A final one of Polbrock

Thanks to all the exhibitors and traders, and to all at Model Rail who organised the event.

• RMweb Gold

Hi , Great day out and busy to the end, thanks to shawplan for flying the flag of modelling, rest of traders were merry box shifting and all enjoying it - marques a bit cold by the end Layouts - all great and Well done Chris for "the armchair and pedant" we know who we are !! And yes it did rain at end - luckily on 156 414 on shutle train

As others have said great format and a real winner.

Thanks to all involved and to those who came and enjoyed it - Warley club stand handed out loads of leaftet/ flyers for the show

Robert

There was a problem I was told with the Deltic Shed, so unlike last year this was not used for layouts, last minute cockup I think and nothing to do with Model Rail, the Barrow Hill lads spent many hours getting the other shed emptied to get everything in. Well done I thought bearing that in mind!

Good morning one and all, attended Barrow Hill on the Saturday, weather was perfect, dry and sunny, light superb for photographs. Spent some time with Paul Lunn, just goes to show if you get a second opinion on your ideas it can show that you have missed something simple that makes a vast improvement!!! Only gripe was the lack of space around the model layouts, but if this was a last minute change due to an unforeseen problems, this is only a minor gripe. What else can you want, live steam, new livery diesel, model layouts of a superb quality, loved Albion Yard and the extended Outon Road, and beer......

Congratulations to the Model Rail team, what no goodie bags!!!, on a well organised exhibition, looking forward to next year.

Finally got home last night around 10-30pm after unloading 'Haymarket Cross' & 'North of England Line' rain followed us all the way back to Scarborough. Well done Model Rail on an excellent weekend with all from our two layouts having a good time. Thanks to all for the positve comments I really appreciate it, great to chat about all things model railway. Sorry about the lack of space round our layouts which wasn't of our making, on Sunday morning along with Model Rail staff we were able to move layouts to give more room for viewing which along with a one way system seemed to work well.

Ian H

(Haymarket Cross)

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't agree more Bob, we also had a great day out, sorry we missed you for a chat. Fireman Sams comments re the lack of isle space was fair comment in the morning rush in the layout shed, we just looked around the roundhouse and had lunch until things calmed down in the afternoon. Picked up a few bits although there wasn't much in the way of component traders.

Ray.

Yes. Definitely, a great day out. One of the "few bits" was a Model Rail LMS Sentinel for Avago as (while I thought about it) someone beat me to the nicely weathered 9f on the Grimy Times stand which I was considering for Great West Road. Poop. I'll have to start saving again £££.

I managed to squeeze through the crowd to Haymarket Cross to see the shed end - very impressive. Something to emulate there, though primarily with smaller "tankies" - while Ray disappeared in the sea of people. I found him at Glen Roy which he hasn't stopped talking about. Nice to see you and your team, Andy. Great layout.

Couldn't resist Polbrock and Arne Wharf either. I liked Mr Nevard's box of vehicles which he brought out to swap cars and add tractor. Nice move. Food for thought there for Avago. I've been thinking about a steam roller but not enuff room for the Model Rail Live roundabout.

A few layouts we've seen before, but, of those we haven't, I particularly enjoyed 81C mrc's Trumper's Halt and The Railway Children - looking forward to developments and seeing the injured runner in the tunnel with the train thundering past (if he was already there, sorry, I didn't catch sight of him).

The excellent model railways were a superb source of ideas and techniques but some of the roofs on Avago's buildings need some lead flashing to stop the rain getting in (or, rather, that extra bit of detailing for realism that in effect hides the gaps you'd rather people didn't notice). Can anyone tell me/direct me to the best way of doing this or at least how best to model strips of lead? Post on Avago in Layout Topics, if you like.

Here's looking forward to next year and a ride to Chesterfield which we missed out on this time - so much to see and do.

Well done and thanks everybody.

Polly

There was a problem I was told with the Deltic Shed, so unlike last year this was not used for layouts, last minute cockup I think and nothing to do with Model Rail, the Barrow Hill lads spent many hours getting the other shed emptied to get everything in. Well done I thought bearing that in mind!

I know one of the Deltic lads, he told me a couple of weeks ago that the Deltic shed would be unavailable. He also told me the reason which I thought was perfectly understandable. it's not my place to repeat that here but suffice to say that the DPS shed is their property, as I understand it, and it's up to them whether they will let it be used and the circumstances. There have been issues in the past which I'm sure has led to them being wary and as I understand it the requirements this year simply couldn't be met.

Hi All

Well a great weekend was had at Model Rail. Many thanks to the Model Rail team for putting on a great show .It gets better each year. The layout worked well, a few little problems as Paul has stated in our thread. The only down side was that my lens on my Canon decided not to speak to the main body hence No real shots of the event other than this not too good a shot of the new Bachmann Glen class of loco, The Lady of The lake which was lent to us by Model Rail. Many thanks to them.

Arrived home last night at 11.00pm unloaded and in bed by 12.30pm.

One little item that we did on the Sunday was to obtain a cheap half bottle of whisky and poured a little around the Distillery to create the smell of fumes . It did work a little but there were a few eyebrows raised.

Anyway thanks to all who passed comments on the layout.

Peter

post-6915-0-23481300-1348494697.jpg

My first visit to Barrow Hill and M.R. Live was no doubt an extremely impressive experience. The entire place reminds me of Tyseley a few years ago.

It was nice to see a few 'amateur' sales stands being mixed in with the box-shifters: raising money for specific locomotives or projects. Occasionally, there was the occasional hiccup (corridors between layouts a little too narrow, and the few people who have to be objectionable idiots whatever the circumstances are the two that spring to mind), but these were niggling little things and as already established in this thread were out of the control of the organisers.

I finally managed to lay my hands on a 'Sentinel' as well. Not the GWR one that I was hoping for, but 'Isebrook'. A collection of coal trucks and a toad brake van completed an eclectic train to say the least, but hopefully it wont look too bad on my planned NCB layout.

Will go again next year, for certain

I visited on Saturday when the weather was perfect - Sunny but not hot ! Barrow Hill is a great place to visit at any time, but Model Rail Live is a special event, combining as it does preserved and operational full-size stock and models. The East Midlands shuttle train from Chesterfield was a great way to get to 41E/BH, and a bargain at £5. The layout shed was rather cramped, and this is the one thing that could be improved for next year. It was also good to see a healthy mix of enthusiasts and families at the event.

I know one of the Deltic lads, he told me a couple of weeks ago that the Deltic shed would be unavailable. He also told me the reason which I thought was perfectly understandable. it's not my place to repeat that here but suffice to say that the DPS shed is their property, as I understand it, and it's up to them whether they will let it be used and the circumstances. There have been issues in the past which I'm sure has led to them being wary and as I understand it the requirements this year simply couldn't be met.

I wonder how that little episode started.... :angry:

It's a pity it couldn't be used, since it would have only been half full with stock.

It's a pity it couldn't be used, since it would have only been half full with stock.

Actually, the shed was full of engines. I counted at least two 37s and a Deltic. When combined with a sales stand and small Deltic themed exhibition, the shed was actually quite full

Second time I was at Barrow Hill, and had a really good time, I invested in a Kernow ECC Land Rover, unfortunately, no one seems to have BR Blue/Grey Mk1 RMBs!

Really loved the GBRf 20, it looked very nice!!

The only thing that did annoy me was that everything was squashed into one shed and made me miss any chance of getting many photos, or any time to watch the model trains. It would have been nice if the layouts were spaced around the site - Some of the engines could have been put outside, creating more space in the main shed, creating less agro and giving the paying public more to see all over the site.

I shall try and post a link to some photos if I get the chance!! :D

Brandon

Second time I was at Barrow Hill, and had a really good time, I invested in a Kernow ECC Land Rover, unfortunately, no one seems to have BR Blue/Grey Mk1 RMBs!

Really loved the GBRf 20, it looked very nice!!

The only thing that did annoy me was that everything was squashed into one shed and made me miss any chance of getting many photos, or any time to watch the model trains. It would have been nice if the layouts were spaced around the site - Some of the engines could have been put outside, creating more space in the main shed, creating less agro and giving the paying public more to see all over the site.

I shall try and post a link to some photos if I get the chance!! :D

Brandon

Hi Brandon

One main problem with having the layout around the site would be the round house. With the smoke and dust in there it would not do the layouts any good with the film of dirt on the tracks and the electrics also in the tents the floor would have to be very level to enable the layouts to be set up. I did one show early in the year with two layouts which had a very uneven floor of wood just laid onto the ground and the layouts kept moving. (this was not the organisers fault but the people who had provided the unit.) At Barrow hill they are a little restricted on space that can be used mainly the Deltic shed and the pullman shed.

Peter

Archived