Lidl Airbrush set for ?39.99

Rammy

I keep thinking about buying a compressor and airbrush for general weathering of my layouts / rolling stock but have always been put off by the price.

I see that Lidl have a basic airbrush and compressor set on offer next week for just £39.99 and was thinking of taking the plunge. I reaslise that its never going to be as good as some top of the range models available out there, but could this be a starting point? I am thinking that at least if the compressor is ok, I could try the airbrush on some old wagons and scenery bits before investing at a later date in a new airbrush.

Any thoughts?

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_34555.htm

Dave

The airbrush is a copy of the Badger 350.

Every man & his dog imports them from China. They're ok for what they are, I have one for general "paint throwing", perfectly usable.

The compressor is probably fine for a starter set, but won't stand up to heavy use (although you'll probably want a better airbrush too well before that anyway).

I went for single action myself for the simplicity thing, in my case a Thayer & Chandler Vega 600, but from what I can tell for most work the lack of flexibility is a non-issue. It's not like you need to change the flow while your painting a body for example.

I've always used the Simair XL2000 0.4mm airbrush. They retail at around the £160 - £200 mark, but they are on offer here for £99 which is a bargain:

http://www.graphicsd...xl2000-airbrush

I don't wish to pick on the estimable Mr. Deltic (as it seems de rigeur in almost any product query on the internet) but it really narks me when people in response to a perfectly valid question (is this worth £40?) opine that it's not as good as one for £100! Really? You don't say! If he could afford a £100 airbrush he would be asking about one of those!

Put it this way, even if it is "only as good as an aerosol" (which I doubt) it will soon save you money. How many aerosols can you buy for £40? Not that many, eight perhaps if you shop around? And then there's the problem of getting the right colour or of introducing any variation. It will be perfectly capable of spraying wagons and base coats on other rolling stock. It will be usable for spraying trackwork and other scenic stuff. Or as M. Jacque of this parish opined "general paint throwing"!

Assuming it is functional I can't see how you can fall off?

I don't wish to pick on the estimable Mr. Deltic (as it seems de rigeur in almost any product query on the internet) but it really narks me when people in response to a perfectly valid question (is this worth £40?) opine that it's not as good as one for £100! Really? You don't say! If he could afford a £100 airbrush he would be asking about one of those!

Put it this way, even if it is "only as good as an aerosol" (which I doubt) it will soon save you money. How many aerosols can you buy for £40? Not that many, eight perhaps if you shop around? And then there's the problem of getting the right colour or of introducing any variation. It will be perfectly capable of spraying wagons and base coats on other rolling stock. It will be usable for spraying trackwork and other scenic stuff. Or as M. Jacque of this parish opined "general paint throwing"!

Assuming it is functional I can't see how you can fall off?

You get what you pay for, and if its any consolation, I will probably buy one myself for general 'paint throwing' rather than blowing my hard earned on aerosols of Railmatch paint. I won't be using the compressor supplied though (because I've already tried using one of those cheap 'recip's with no reservior and found them to be seriously lacking).

Is it worth 40 quid? Highly likely - those compressors usually cost more than that on their own. Is it worth getting? Depends why you're in the market for an airbrush - if you want to do weathering and fine work, probably not. You'd be better off grabbing the XL2000 (as per my link) whilst its cheap and bagging a fairly cheap (but noisy) B&Q compressor which comes with a decent reservior.

Edit: info from crossed thread

I was looking at this, more for the compressor than the airbrush, and thinking about taking the plunge into airbrush work. I already have a compressor for air tools (an 80 quid Aldi one with a large tank) and had considered this for using with an airbrush. Does anyone have any thoughts on how viable this might be and what the best route would be to do this?

I was looking at this, more for the compressor than the airbrush, and thinking about taking the plunge into airbrush work. I already have a compressor for air tools (an 80 quid Aldi one with a large tank) and had considered this for using with an airbrush. Does anyone have any thoughts on how viable this might be and what the best route would be to do this?

The compressor with a decent reservior is a good starting point, provided it has a decent water trap and filter/regulator. As I mentioned in a previous post, much depends on your budget and what you want it for. I would buy one for general spraying just to save on the cost of aerosols and wear and tear on my decent airbrush. If I wanted an airbrush for weathering, I would certainly look at something more expensive. The original OP asked if it would be suitable as a starting kit. I would say maybe not because the limitations of the airbrush might become a handicap very quickly if it is found to be unsuitable for fine work and weathering. I took the plunge when I decided to buy an airbrush and went to the art shop at Covent Garden and bought the XL2000 and a compressor like the one in the Aldi kit. I quickly found the compressor to be unsuitable due to lack of volume. I then bought a cheap B & Q compressor which, although more than adequate in terms of air volume, was too noisy. I found a silent compressor reduced at Machine Mart and I now use that.

On the face of it the spec of the compressor doesn't look too bad.

The compressor I have sitting beside me which was priced at £139.99 is rated at 12-16lpm and 70W, so the spec of 15L/100 watt doesn't seem too bad although the max pressure is lowish at 3 bar (40psi) vs 80psi for the one beside me.

It is of course missing a water trap (£10) but personally I'd give it a go if I wasn't being given a replacement ( current one is on loan, got a badger one on the way).

Did anyone buy one of these, if so how are they finding it?

I tried to get one, I went to the store in Corby near where I work only to be fobbed off and told I had got the wrong day and there weren't going to be in, by the time I had finished work and got back to Market Harborough the store there had sold out, so the manager rang Corby to see if they had any and was told that they also had now sold out.

Did anyone buy one of these, if so how are they finding it?

Halifax Road, Sheffield, branch had been cleaned out of these long before I got to the store, so obviously a lot of people thought them potentially a good buy. I hope anybody who's bought one will post a review, so I can camp out on LIDL's doorstep (as, I'm told, people do around here) if they get it in again.

(edited for grammar)

I got one yesterday after trawlling round 2 Lidls and then it it was the last on the shelf. I have very little experience with airbrushes so I cannot compare against more pro types but for £40 it does not do a bad job maybe not on detailing but for more general work it will do. I intend to use it mainly for rail painting and just getting experience. Getting a better airbrush will be the first improvement and making use of the compressor to which I hope to add a water trap. Personally, I would say to anyone wanting to have a start in airbrushing it is £40 well spent as long as you realise its limitations and it is far better than using aerosols. The compressor is fairly quiet and did not get excessively hot compared to some I have seen. Instructions are poor with the majority being H&S and only two pages on its use. No real explanation on how to clean the kit after use especially as the nozzle really does need to be disassembled to get every vestige of paint out. SWAMBO only got interested when I mentioned the possibilty of false tanning - now I wonder which colour of Railmatch she will like? :devil:

Richard

Railmatch rust probably best for the tanning, but not too orange :no:

I only missed out due to the rubbish customer service from the Corby store, I have a load of kits I have built that need painting, and although I am not bad with a decent paintbrush, I am looking for a better finish, might have to convince 'her indoors' that a RDG kit with the two guns will have other uses, could do a camo effect on her toe nails....

:mosking:

Andy, I am going past a Lidl store tomorrow lunchtime, if you would like I will pop in and see if they still have one I could get for you.

Perhaps you could PM me with your telephone number. Only one problem, I live near Cambridge so we would have to sort out a meet-up.

Brian

Andy, I am going past a Lidl store tomorrow lunchtime, if you would like I will pop in and see if they still have one I could get for you.

Perhaps you could PM me with your telephone number. Only one problem, I live near Cambridge so we would have to sort out a meet-up.

Brian

Hi

Thanks for the offer but I have now decided one of the RDG kits, so ordered one last night.

Cambridge wouldn't have been too much of a problem as we have a motorhome and use the Caravan Club site in the old quarry at Cherry Hinton.

Cheers

Archived