Calne Model Rail Show - 19 & 20 January 2013

Geoff Endacott

The 20th Annual Calne Model Rail Show

The Calne Leisure Centre, White Horse Way, Calne, Wilts., SN11 0SP.

Saturday 19th January 10.00 am - 5.00 pm
Sunday 20th January 10.00 am - 5.00 pm

The 15 layouts booked to attend are:

Brink Valley Tramway (O9): Christopher Payne
UK – Rural Steam Tramway - c1930

Broadford (EM): Iain Hunter
Australia – Victoria – Mid 1990s

Castle Corfe (OO): Shepton & District MRS
UK – SR Isle of Purbeck - 1950s

Dodileat Manor (OO6.5): Terry Jones
UK – Miniature Railway – Present Day

Gilbert Junction (HO): Chris Hopper
USA – Boston & Maine – 1950s

Haul-y-Bryn (OO9): Eddie Field
UK – Welsh Narrow Gauge – 1924

Hedges Hill Cutting (N): Bentley MRG
UK – South London - 1990-95

Hope Beringar (N): Bristol East MRC
UK – BR in Rural England - 1960s

Mallingford Central (N): Frome Vale Modellers
UK – BR Birmingham area - 1980s

Neubruckenbahn (N): Iris & David Guscott
Germany - DB Bavaria - 1990s-2000s

New Mexico Railroad Museum (HO/HOn3): Peter Everitt
USA – Santa Fe, New Mexico – Present Day

Priors End (OO): John Smerdon
UK – BR(SR) South London - 1970s

Sans Souci (N): Harry Harper
Switzerland – Central Alps – Present Day

Somerford Station (OO): Bentley MRG
UK – BR(WR) West of England - 1970

Toad Creek (HOn3): John Spratley
USA – South East - 1945

Trade:

Alan Ward

Andy Lynch
Aspire Gifts and Models
BMRG Club Sales
Brunswick Railways
County Rolling Stock
Don Bishop Photography
Gas Cupboard
Keith's Model Railways
M&B Models
Modelmania
Rail-books.co.uk
Railroom Electronics
Richard's Railways
Squires Model & Craft Tools
Weston's Railways

Demonstrators:

Dave Spencer - Wagon Weathering

Malcolm Young - Model Buildings

Adult: £4.50, OAP: £4.00, Child: £3.00, Group (2+2): £10.00.

www.calnemrs.org.uk

Geoff Endacott

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I seem to remember it being very cold if not slightly white last year.

Nice bacon sandwich looking down from the bar area on everyone beavering away before the show opened made up for it.

Total power failures arranged, which layout is it this year? :sarcastichand:

See you there on the Saturday Geoff, looking forward to it.

According to the local BBC weather forecast, we are likely to see some snow on Friday. Already people have started to ask how this will affect the exhibition.

Calne Leisure Centre has a roof so I don't expect any snowfall in the hall. The building also has heating. So apart from suggesting that people wear appropriate clothing, I don't expect any snowfall to make much difference. It's January - it snows (sometimes).

Snow - 's no problem!

Geoff Endacott

It has snowed, it is still snowing and the show is going ahead.

The main effect so far is that some people who were going to set up this evening will now be setting up in the morning.

Why do so many people in this country give up in face of a few inches of snow which in the Continent causes no problems whatsoever?

Geoff Endacott

Could you give us an 'on the ground' update on routes into Calne periodically especially in the morning for those of us aiming to arrive at 8:00 please?

At the moment the council have the gritters out and most main roads are passable albeit at slow speed, the traffic is light as it was bad this morning so most people stayed at home. Snowing very lightly.

I have just travelled back to Chippenham from Calne along the A4 and it is open and perfectly passable. The snow has eased and the forecast for tomorrow is looking better.

Four traders and four layouts have already arrived - we got in to the hall early because the people who had booked badminton courts this afternoon didn't show up!

Geoff Endacott

Hi Gang,

Just been on a fleeting visit to Calne show on setup night.

From the North or East, junct 16 on the M4, then Royal Wooton Bassett, Lyneham to Calne is clear all the way.

Alternates is Junc 15, then A346 to Marlborough then join A4 heading west to Calne.

Avoid A361 south of Swindon via Wroughton/Avebury as snow is drifting over hard packed stuff on the road already.

No reason not to go because of the weather!!!

Regards,

Stu from EGDL.

I am back from setting up much of the show. The main problem we seem to face is that a few exhibitors are trapped along minor roads and are unable to get out with their layouts. The main roads are clear and I didn't have any problems on the A4 ths evening.

As it stands, three layouts have dropped out and there is a question mark over two others. That means we expect to have 10-12 layouts instead of the intended 15. Five layouts have already been set up including the newly-extended 40 feet long Somerford.

None of the traders have withdrawn and nine of the 16 have already arrived. Our demonstrators have confirmed that they will be coming.

So 44% of the show is already set up, 9% has withdrawn and 6% is doubtful. If we get more than 80% of the expected stands, it many not be quite the show I had hoped for, but it is still a reasonable show.

Geoff Endacott

I am a side road victim. A car park and side road victim actually.

Thousand apologies, I will have to miss the show. I even had a shopping list for Railroom Electronics. I had some very nice little two, three and four pin connectors off them last year and want more.

Its sheet ice for 500 metres from the little car park to the main road. In fact the main road is just over a 2 metre wall but a 500 metre drive to get to it.

And to make matters worse, I have to squeeze between two houses to get the car out and the gap has been considerably reduced by scaffolding they have put up against one of them just before the snow hit. It was tight before, now with the ice and once slight slip of the car it could be very noisy as the lot comes down.

So again sorry Geoff, one less visitor. Will try again next year.

Archived