Parrot Hall - 80/90?s 25kv NW suburban in OO.

kevpeo

Kev

What a great thread you have here, this has the makings of a cracking railway with two of my favourite emu's - class 304 and 310. You should do an ex NSE class 305 too with the red stripe replaced with reggie rail blue!

thanks for showing your rather exquisite board joining detail, i am currently stuck with that and may just have to steal your ideas there!!

Really looking forward to seeing how your layout progresses... keep up the good work and great updates!

mike

• Thanks 1

Why thank you mikes, I'm not planning on giving up just yet, even if I am in the throws of wiring!  I did have a 305 in mind until one of my fellow club members 'volunteered' to do a late series 304 for the layout with the similar windows.  Get a move on unitned!   :triniti:   Anyway, back to the layout. Before it was flipped over for the 'spaghetti' I couldn't resist connecting up a few jumpers and having a test -

post-8271-0-40468100-1383667515_thumb.jpg

And it works!  Well apart from the 'v' of the point which needs the point motor to control the polarity. So far so good on the point blades and check rails though. Now back to wires!  Kev.

• Like 5

I hate wiring!

post-8271-0-80788700-1383853167_thumb.jpg

And it's not finished yet. As you can see the 0.5mm droppers from the track are soldered to yet more copper-clad and then all are linked to the DCC bus. (the black and blue wires!) The orange and yellow wires go to the Cobalt point motor. The plug and socket is a 25 way 'D type' of which I'm only using one side, i.e. twelve contacts. The socket is just screwed onto two blocks of wood. I have to make a confession here. I finished the 'jumper cable' which fits into this from the other board this afternoon with the layout upside down. When I put the layout back up to test that it all worked, I found the leg was now in the way and the 'jumper' was no longer long enough, so I had to do it again!

post-8271-0-32329800-1383853197_thumb.jpg

Here's the Cobalt in situ. This was done at first using a connecter block which I've since replaced with another bit of copper-clad, seen above, as I figured it was four less connections to vibrate loose in the car or van!. The green wire feeds power to the point 'v'.

And that's enough to run it for now, as I haven't got/made any signals or platform lights yet. Or it would be if I had a switch for the point motor. I feel a trip to Maplins coming on! Kev.

• Like 2

More wiring alert! -

post-8271-0-43228200-1384535099_thumb.jpg

This is the underside of the 'fiddle' board completed. The dcc 'bus' is all the blue and black wires, while at the bottom is the 9v input socket. This is salvaged from an old router, whose transformer now powers the point motor and future auxiliary's. Waste nothing me! To the left of this socket is the row of switches that form the 'control panel' -

post-8271-0-04674900-1384535116_thumb.jpg

Fancy eh? After these photos were taken, I re-assembled the layout, plugged in the transformer, and found the point motor was faulty!!!! It works perfectly in one direction but in the other direction makes loud 'clicks' at the end of its travel, as if a cog is slipping somewhere. Back to the shop it goes. Kev.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ah well. The replacement point motor has yet to arrive at my local model shop, so I ''borrowed'' a new one from the clubs new Swiss layout!  After fitting it I figured I'd give the yard side a run, just to make sure all the stock runs through the point ok -

post-8271-0-14035200-1387652470_thumb.jpg

08 661 pulls forward with a couple of 'seacows' before propelling them back into a different road. This loco is 'visiting' for detailing and 'grotting up' as a back up shunter for Coppell. The plan was to re-number it, but after a long time studying photo's of Wigan Springs Branch's and Allerton's allocations.  It turns out this is the only RFD (old & new!) example that could be modelled correctly with this combination of cab doors and boxes!

post-8271-0-32683600-1387652499_thumb.jpg

As it runs back into the yard, 31 461 is standing in the dead end road awaiting it's next duty.

Next to be seen is 31 405 with a couple of engineers wagons -

post-8271-0-36669800-1387652593_thumb.jpg

And finally 461 departs with a crane and a salmon -

post-8271-0-87051300-1387652758_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased to report that other than a couple of coupling height issues, now sorted, the test was a great success.  The only trouble with that outcome is that I now have no excuse not to cut all the webs from between the sleepers out with a scalpel!  Merry Xmas all. Kev.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looking very good Kev, I had a double take with 31 461, its exactly the same as my old one pretty much, now in the hands of Mason on here, I thought he'd sold it to you!!

Question on the sector plate I see the board behind prevents you pushing it very far back I assume trains on the front sector plate tracks can never be routed to the back on the layout?

• Thanks 1

Thanks RBE. If we have both done it right, it should look the same! You are correct on the sector plate, the front four roads are for passenger and the rear three for the yard, although there is a little bit of overlap in the middle roads. I really must get my finger out and do some more work on it. After Wigan show I promise!!!! Kev.

Edited by kevpeo

Quick cheeky pic of mine when it ran on Outon Road from before the OHLE went up. Now I see the pics together I see yours has the incorrect railfreight grey roof? I noticed Lee paint one like that recently. It must be a difficult thing to determine. 31461 had the executive dark grey roof which is standard for the departmental grey livery although granted a couple of the class were outshopped with lighter roofs.

post-6894-0-30095900-1398954543_thumb.jpg

Whats your build plan for OHLE btw?

Edited by RBE
  • Like 4

To be honest I'm not sure I painted the roof! It is the Hornby 'rotting chassis' 'Dutch' one with the sides rubbed down and repainted. As for the overhead, I'm still pondering, but I fancy either the ex Woodhead dc style or the south Manchester side 25kv 1960's portals. Kev.

edit - After getting 461 out for wheel cleaning prior to Coppell's appearance at Manchester's L&Ydcc show, the roof is indeed a darker shade than the sides. Phew!! kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 1

Yeah I think hornbys dutch 31 has an incorrect railfreight grey roof rather than exec. Id have to look it up. Oh well, its a good base model to use, I used a rwd stripe railfreight one as mine as it was cheap but had to do all the roof grill cowl and radio pods and the like myself. Not that I mind getting my fingers mucky with that stuff. The OHLE sounds interesting the portal stuff looks good, the ex dc ones Im not so keen on, did they keep it compound type when they converted it or did that change I dont remember, I have some pics somewhere I think. That would be interesting to do. Did you see my article on scale OHLE in Model Rail a few months back? If your after doing scale stuff its worth a read and Id be happy to give you advice/info. Its a complicated business when you get into it. Ive also got some scale drawings of the south manchester OHLE type if you are interested in em that I can copy you.

Edited by RBE
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Kev

Nice photo of your Class 31 461 on the flasks, do you plan to put in OHLE's as I do like to see layouts with the OH set up... great photos with them on to, will be interested if you go over to OHLE's...

Great work being carried out Kev

Jamie

• Thanks 1