Parrot Hall - 80/90?s 25kv NW suburban in OO.

kevpeo

Hi Kev

The Class 304 brings back some great memories of days gone by for me, with all the slam shut doors down each coach... and I remember the Cl312... to and the days spent on Birmingham New Street... the good old days.

Great to see mate and love the DCC Sound from your Cl304... who is the sound chip by and how many speakers do you have in the DMU as it sounded quiet load...

Cheers, Jamie

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Shock horror, stuff has been done -

post-8271-0-96117000-1420382950_thumb.jpg

The cutting of track webs has been completed, almost! I abandoned the concrete sleepered track after I had passed the site of the platform ramps, as can be seen in the photo. This job (started almost 12 months ago!) has almost killed my interest in this layout, as I just couldn't be a***d! The webs are much lower, and the sleepers deeper on this track so when ballasted they will be invisable from above the platforms, or so I keep telling myself!

With this job out of the way I then did some woodwork and fitted this -

post-8271-0-39431600-1420382965_thumb.jpg

The Lenz controller interface, which is needed to run Touchcab!

If anyone finds my modelling mojo, could they please post it to -

KevPeo

PO box 37

Barra'

Cumbria.

Happy New Year all. Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 5

If anyone finds my modelling mojo, could they please post it to -

Hi Kev,

Happy new year.

On the up side at least you have managed to get something done, which is more than I have.....

But there does seem to be a "modelling mojo" thief on the lose around here over the last few months. He/she seems to have got a few of us :help:

Kind regards

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Having been used mainly as a shelf(!) for the last couple of months, work has finally started on the platform structures.

post-8271-0-73717100-1427636847_thumb.jpg

I'm aiming for a later 'PTE style' station. So I'm starting with 12mm x 9mm balsa for the supports, these will be covered in embossed plastic sheet to represent concrete block. 12mm x 3mm will then be added to form the supporting timber beams.

post-8271-0-30121800-1427637192_thumb.jpg

Before a further layer of 3mm across the full width to create the platform proper, after the masts have gone in. Each layer will overhang by 3mm the previous one. Kev.

• Like 7

Looking really good Kev, will follow with interest.

The sleeper webbing though.....WHY??! Once ballasted it won't be noticed....you're quite a perfectionist! :yes:

(Which is good in many respects, but I think sleeper webbing's a bit OTT TBH)

Keep up the great work, can't wait till the 'wires go up! Get a move on! :jester:

Jack.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it has all ground to a halt again! Parrot Hall has now been packed up again, so I can get Loch Dour ready for Showcase. But the good news is I have put my order in with N-Brass models for the O/H gantry's, which I will collect at the same show, so some progress, just no actual work! Kev.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

All the platform 'pillars' are now installed and the 'block work' is now progressing well –

post-8271-0-96805900-1436607792_thumb.jpg

The first section at the far end, which will be under the road bridge, has been done ‘solid’ to allow for the bridge abutments. While I was at it, I thought I’d check the ‘look’ of the platforms with the longest unit, the 310 –

post-8271-0-51630900-1436607810_thumb.jpg

The shot doesn't show the full platform length, so plenty of room. Of course, I could then not resist getting the 304 out as well!

post-8271-0-27307400-1436607821_thumb.jpg

Kev.

Edited by kevpeo
  • Like 9

Hey Kev

Following this will great interest and if the EMU's and your Class 85 > 81 conversion is anything to go by this will be a stunning layout.

Also you are invited to give the EMU's and 81 a run on my layout Alderford at the next Barrow show in October if they are not in use on another layout.

Carl

• Thanks 1

A good days work yesterday. I got the pillars cleaned up, and a first rough coat of 'concrete' paint applied -

post-8271-0-99297100-1437297300_thumb.jpg

While this was drying, I thought I would re-acquaint myself with the N-Brass portal kits, and assemble a few bits -

post-8271-0-77887000-1437297319_thumb.jpg

It was at this point that I realised that I'd made a 'boo-boo' in my calculations, and while I have plenty of bits ( I ordered four, 4-track portals ) I was going to be short one joint onto a leg!  So, I thought I'd have a go at converting two of the extension pieces, of which I have spares, into corner joints. And ended up building a portal!

post-8271-0-62842000-1437297339_thumb.jpg

This is the smallest one of the three portals. One portal down, two more to go. Kev.

• Like 5

All looking very nice there Kev.

On the new Preston club layout to replace Bee Lane we will have to tackle some of the N-Brass kits to produce a couple of the single upright Gallows version.

I believe there are a couple of Gallows on Coppell. Your Handy work as well I take it.

Carl 

• Thanks 1

I'm not slacking honest!  Work continues apace.  The ''blockwork'' is now all painted and I now have all the uprights completed and have ground down some BA bolts to fit in the bottom for attaching them to the layout. These have been soldered into the existing portal too -

post-8271-0-96751500-1437757273_thumb.jpg

Work has now started on the biggest portal. Kev.

• Like 6