Leeds City, the Midland Side, in 4mm.

TheLaird

• RMweb Gold

The video's now allows me to see how each area operates, I thought my job as a signaller was fun but this takes it to another level. Love to see more video's of this layout John.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thank you for the videos.

This and Bradfield are inspirational.

May I ask, what you used to fix down the ballast? I don't think you said. As you went baseboard, carpet adhesive, laminate underlay foam, carpet adhesive, track, I wondered what you used to fix the ballast? And how has this affected running noise?

Best Wishes and stay safe,

Flocky

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

On the other hand, no news for over six months, though there is evidence that @TheLaird has visited.

He's not the only one to have visited. Since restrictions were lifted we've held at least one operating session each month, usually two. We even managed three a month once or twice.

Running and reliability continue to be excellent and the operators are improving their 'route knowledge'. The Royal Scot fleet has increased by a further two (46112 & 46145) that Tim E has produced for members of the team.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, leopardml2341 said:

I think 'visited this topic' was what was meant?

Well, RMWeb, since his profile currently shows Last Visited Friday at 18:07.

I've always presumed that to visit the layout he has only to open his back door and walk down his garden!

1 hour ago, Leander said:

He's not the only one to have visited. Since restrictions were lifted we've held at least one operating session each month, usually two. We even managed three a month once or twice.

Running and reliability continue to be excellent and the operators are improving their 'route knowledge'. The Royal Scot fleet has increased by a further two (46112 & 46145) that Tim E has produced for members of the team.

Good to know that there is activity!

• Like 1

This layout is an inspiration to me as I continue to build my rather more modest EM layout, which is also set in the steam/diesel transition era. I have converted many RTR coaches and wagons and a couple of RTR diesels to EM and will do several more diesels when my order arrives from Ultrascale, but I have yet to tackle a steam loco conversion. I have had some Alan Gibson wheels in stock ready to go for a long time now! Is there any info available on the conversions of the steam locos used on Leeds City?

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, CamRys said:

Is there any info available on the conversions of the steam locos used on Leeds City?

I'm more than happy to assist here, since I've produced a number of locos for the layout.  Some locos tend to be easier to deal with than others; the Ivatt 4MT (plus other similar ones from Bachmann) are an absolute (flying!) pig to do, thanks to tight clearances around the cylinders/slidebars.  May I ask what ones you're looking at converting, please?  Also happy to discuss by PM if you wish.

Cheers,

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, CamRys said:

This layout is an inspiration to me as I continue to build my rather more modest EM layout, which is also set in the steam/diesel transition era. I have converted many RTR coaches and wagons and a couple of RTR diesels to EM and will do several more diesels when my order arrives from Ultrascale, but I have yet to tackle a steam loco conversion. I have had some Alan Gibson wheels in stock ready to go for a long time now! Is there any info available on the conversions of the steam locos used on Leeds City?

Have you looked through the EMGS data sheets? 

Regards Lez.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There are conversion sheets available on the Alan Gibson website for Bachmann 1F, 3F and 4F. There is a data sheet on the 4MT on the EMGS disc and on the website There have also been conversions in the EM newsletters for various locos that might be suitable as well. Have a look at both Brassmasters and LRM for suitable kits. Rumney do a chassis kit for the 1P, High level do a chassis for the Jinty, LRM do a full Jinty kit and a 2P kit plus chassis for the 2F, 3F and Jinty. There are lots of options on the Wizard Models site as well. The EMGS have shouldered axles for use with Gibson wheels in Bachmann chassis.

Regards Lez.    

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

The 4F utilises ancient Airfix loco and tender bodies, with Comet loco and tender chassis running on Markits EM gauge wheels and powered by a Mashima motor with a High Level Kits gearbox. It was a one-time OO loco (again using a Comet chassis) and many moons ago featured on the Clay Cross MRS 'Ashford-in-the-Water' exhibition layout. This one and a Midland 2P 4-4-0  are the only two survivors from those days. Karl Crowther produced the updated 4F running gear and a similar job was carried out by John Brighton on the 2P, which has visited Leeds but not joined the roster yet.44046.jpg.a1bb9d5291819d3009b58ceeb85b5cbe.jpg

44046 seen on Nigel Hopwood's 'Hunslet Road'.

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2021 at 17:18, flockandroll said:

May I ask, what you used to fix down the ballast? I don't think you said. As you went baseboard, carpet adhesive, laminate underlay foam, carpet adhesive, track, I wondered what you used to fix the ballast? And how has this affected running noise?

Best Wishes and stay safe,

Flocky

Flocky, what little ballasting has been done to date, I have used the traditional method of dropping dilute PVA with a wetting agent onto it. Best wetting agent I've found is Fairy liquid!! Ballast is building sand. So far the noise level seems unaffected.

Regards John E.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 5 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Leander said:

Karl Crowther has emailed me the following about the Hornby A3 which he has converted, detailed, changed the loco's identity, and weathered: "Conversion used the Brassmasters A3 Easichas, with Markits wheels. I did use the replacement coupling rods as part of the Brassmasters kit. No clearance issues under the running plate. Took me around 45hrs, including the conversion, fitting the DCC and weathering.

The original model has flangeless wheels on the pony truck, though you replace these with flanged ones in the conversion. But when John (TheLaird) ran it on the layout, it was derailing on his tightest curves. Once he’d reinstated the flangeless pony wheels, it than ran fine."

A3 LHS front.JPG

A3 LHS rear.JPG

Great to see a model of Harvester other than mine.
She was the only A3 I saw, right at the end of her life and covered in muck. Still remember that.
Lovely model,
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 1