Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

May I, respectfully, suggest that those who wish to discuss Australian and other politics should start a separate topic in the Wheeltappers section.

Thank you.

I come here to talk about model railways and trains.

I have more than enough politics shoved in my face everywhere else.

Craig W

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

May I, respectfully, suggest that those who wish to discuss Australian and other politics should start a separate topic in the Wheeltappers section.

Not interested in discussing politics ... there are many ways to skin a cat - and frankly climate change is too depressing.

Modelling is however good therapy!

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, DougN said:

Just to put the Aussie fires in to perspective.IMG-20200104-WA0000.jpg.6d959157e9cd4473b28afe516f222322.jpg

The entire world needs action on climate change. The lumbering dinosaur that is the aussie governments may actually do something now.  

I like Koalas :cry::cry:

• Friendly/supportive 2

Polybear is that because they are high on eucalyptus or they sleep 20 hours a day? 

The sad thing is all the flora and fauna has been placed under immense pressure from the fires we have probably lost some species now because of the fire. 

Any how koalas will  bounce back as the new growth will occur on the established trees. In February 1983 Ash Wednesday whipped out a heap of the area around cann river which I travelled through as a 8 year old I recall in the may the trees were spouting new growth like crazy. It is a feature of the Australian bush that the fire really does encourage re generation of the bush.   

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, DougN said:

Polybear is that because they are high on eucalyptus or they sleep 20 hours a day?

It's cos' they're cute and cuddly...

Can you get high on Eucalyptus?  I've been missing out....

11 hours ago, Anglian said:

It's a lovely model but it's shame they got the colour so wrong. I understand from the dedicated thread about this model that some folks are sending them back. In my view exactly the right thing to do so Hornby become aware of just how wrong they've got it. I'll order a LSWR one once they release it in the correct livery.

I have three of the LSWR vans to photograph. The one shown, plus another in LSWR livery and one in BR unfitted grey. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so wrong with the colour(s)? I only have B&W source material at present. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to clarify a point

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

I have three of the LSWR vans to photograph. The one shown, plus another in LSWR livery and one in BR unfitted grey. 

Forgive my ignorance, but what is so wrong with the colour(s)? I only have B&W source material at present. 

As I understand it, the Southern adopted the LSWR's wagon livery variously described as chocolate or purple brown. The Southern van in your photo looks to be the same colour as the LMR one (which needs vacuum pipes), which is supposed to represent bauxite. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, 31A said:

Yes, Airfix did the LMS van and the tooling for that was subsequently used by Dapol and then Hornby.  It was pretty good for its day; perhaps a bit dated in a few respects now.

I bought one of the new ex LMS vans myself today, and so far very impressed.

The handrails seem to be all wire, rather than the plastic mouldings of the recent LNER vans, very fine though they were.  However they seem to be 'pushing the boundaries' a bit with the long lower horizontal one which is inclined to flex as per you photo.  Possible fixes could include adding functional 'handrail knobs' from twists of thin wire, passed through holes drilled where brackets would be on the real one, to hold it in line.  Or alternatively perhaps pinging the long handrail out and re-bending it very slightly shorter so that it is in tension when re-inserted in the holes.

The model includes optional high and low vacuum pipes for the ends.  As far as I can see from the number series this would have been a van built 'unfitted' and presumably from the brown livery subsequently 'piped' (not 'fitted') by BR, so I think the 'low' pipes would be appropriate for this van, unless others know otherwise.

Glazing very good; a bit of a shame perhaps that they couldn't make a better job of the door safety bars which are moulded similarly to the other recent vans, although I'm not sure quite what they would do differently within the bounds of mass production and durability.

Thanks Steve,

In my review, I'll mention the 'bowing' horizontal handrail. Though the inboard 'clips' for it seem to have been moulded-on, they're not actually attached to it.

It's good to see Hornby has included different sizes of ballast weights, dependent on the prototype.

1892881184_Hornbyex-LMS20TbrakevanR690903.jpg.8706ae469fd781c8c5baa5d12550e4f0.jpg

I don't know if you've tried, but by undoing the four screws in the chassis, the body comes off the frames and the floor pan drops out to reveal a full interior, complete with stove! It can't really be seen otherwise.

Skimming through pictures (in BR days at least) it seems these 'vans were ubiquitous, and certainly not confined to the ex-LMS lines. In contrast, the SR ones seemed more parochial.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Anglian said:

It's a lovely model but it's shame they got the colour so wrong. I understand from the dedicated thread about this model that some folks are sending them back. 

Odd that they need to send them back. Do folk no longer look at what they are buying and think 'hang on that's not the colour I want' and decide not to procede with the purchase? ;-)

Alternatively, they could buy on the understanding that they need to repaint. But I guess that will need some modelling effort.

Edited by grahame
Correction
  • Agree 11

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As I understand it, the Southern adopted the LSWR's wagon livery variously described as chocolate or purple brown. The Southern van in your photo looks to be the same colour as the LMR one (which needs vacuum pipes), which is supposed to represent bauxite. 

Thanks for that,

The LSWR one, the SR one and the LMR (fitted/piped) one are all the same colour, which, from what you state, means both the LSWR and SR one are too light.

Vacuum pipes (of both tall and short variety) are provided as separate items with the LMR van. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Clem said:

To be fair Craig, I asked the question about the safety and welfare of a number of people on here and people have answered that question. I think the political content that people have posted is part of their answer to my question. These are folk who I and I'm sure others on here would support in the crisis that has unfolded. I can certainly put up with their viewpoint on this topic. It most certainly won't take over this thread. The very nature of the thread dictates otherwise. But I for one, want to know that everyone is OK, not in danger and I find their take on a situation,  which potentially could be harmful to them worthwhile to be heard by us. I'd consider all on here friends via our common interest (albeit those in Oz long distant friends) and friendship always overcomes politics. But I value their views and I am very relieved that everyone who has posted is for the moment safe. 

Clem,

You asking a question did not bring the politics into something that is a far more complex issue than many of the simplistic replies suggest.

I lived for 12 years in Buxton which is in the Balmoral - Thirlmere - bargo area that copped the brunt of things a week or so ago. about 50 houses there were destroyed including the homes of people I know. I live in Campbelltown, about 50km form the area and for the last few weeks we have been living in a smoke haze paradise. Everything smells like burning wood and the air is thick with smoke and even we have burnt leaves everywhere. Today, the temperature got up to 44 on my verandah, i shudder to think what it was like in the direct sun. I know many of you would have seen photos, this is my local shopping centre about two weeks ago.

Regards,

Craig W

IMG_8610.JPG

Edited by Craigw
Spelling and clarification
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Steve,

In my review, I'll mention the 'bowing' horizontal handrail. Though the inboard 'clips' for it seem to have been moulded-on, they're not actually attached to it.

It's good to see Hornby has included different sizes of ballast weights, dependent on the prototype.

1892881184_Hornbyex-LMS20TbrakevanR690903.jpg.8706ae469fd781c8c5baa5d12550e4f0.jpg

I don't know if you've tried, but by undoing the four screws in the chassis, the body comes off the frames and the floor pan drops out to reveal a full interior, complete with stove! It can't really be seen otherwise.

Skimming through pictures (in BR days at least) it seems these 'vans were ubiquitous, and certainly not confined to the ex-LMS lines. In contrast, the SR ones seemed more parochial.

Regards,

Tony. 

Though not entirely so. In the thread dedicated to the ex-LSWR vans, there's a photo of one behind a ex-MR 2F at Toton and references to another ending up in departmental use in the Manchester area. 

The LMS vans really got around, though, IIRC one of them was allocated to Yeovil Town in the early sixties.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

12 hours ago, Anglian said:

It's a lovely model but it's shame they got the colour so wrong. I understand from the dedicated thread about this model that some folks are sending them back. In my view exactly the right thing to do so Hornby become aware of just how wrong they've got it. I'll order a LSWR one once they release it in the correct livery.

Once upon a time, people would have bought some paint and transfers and repaint them. That thread seems to demonstrate the unwillingness to do anything for oneself. By sending them back, people are just depriving themselves of a superb new model of a prototype previously unavailable in RTR.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Yes, I did take it apart!  Which reveals not only the stove, but also the hand brake wheel on it's standard.  Also the benches and lockers are present but (as with the LNER vans) moulded in the same clear plastic as the lookouts, and not painted!  I'm somewhat bemused as to why they go to the trouble of representing these items and then not painting them.  I did paint them on my LNER vans, but it was largely a waste of time and effort as they really can't be seen once the van is put back together again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The RTR world has a big element of pre-ordering, to avoid missing out. Many models seem to appear and be sold out very quickly. Anybody pre-ordering a model and finding it faulty when it arrives (and I would think the wrong livery counts as faulty) could repaint it but sending them back does make it a problem for the maker not the purchaser.

I don't know that the new LMS van is much better than the old Airfix one. The plank lines look very poor and it looks more like a tongue and groove log cabin finish than the fine plank joins on the real thing. You could do some detailing on the Airfix one and it looked really good. I don't know how I would correct the planks on the new one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 31A said:

Yes, I did take it apart!  Which reveals not only the stove, but also the hand brake wheel on it's standard.  Also the benches and lockers are present but (as with the LNER vans) moulded in the same clear plastic as the lookouts, and not painted!  I'm somewhat bemused as to why they go to the trouble of representing these items and then not painting them.  I did paint them on my LNER vans, but it was largely a waste of time and effort as they really can't be seen once the van is put back together again.

I think you answered your own question Steve! Supplementary - in that case why did they bother moulding them in the first place?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The RTR world has a big element of pre-ordering, to avoid missing out. Many models seem to appear and be sold out very quickly. Anybody pre-ordering a model and finding it faulty when it arrives (and I would think the wrong livery counts as faulty) could repaint it but sending them back does make it a problem for the maker not the purchaser.

I don't know that the new LMS van is much better than the old Airfix one. The plank lines look very poor and it looks more like a tongue and groove log cabin finish than the fine plank joins on the real thing. You could do some detailing on the Airfix one and it looked really good. I don't know how I would correct the planks on the new one.

Colour renditions have been available for a long time. Anyone who didn't like what they saw there could have cancelled their order. Me, I'm getting a BR grey one.

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, jrg1 said:

OK, back to modelling.

Ollerton Water Tower Model 1.GIF

Edwinstowe Model 1.GIF

Oh my goodness, another LD&ECR fan!

If ever a model building, even in unfinished state, shouted its origins loud and clear, it is this one!

Are you actually modelling Edwinstowe or using the building for somewhere else?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think you answered your own question Steve! Supplementary - in that case why did they bother moulding them in the first place?

Perhaps,  upon realising the interior detail was all but invisible,  Hornby decided the extra work in painting it could be avoided.  It's laudable that said detail was included in the design stage.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Aussie fires, global warming, brexit and the shenanigans over in Iraq, 2020 is going to be one of those years, and we're only four days in !!

Back to brake vans, buy /build half a dozen and run a brake van tour - tour every line on your layout !!

nnpq35kb.jpg

13th August 1966  Wigan Area Railfans Society  Wigan Area Brake Van Tour. Loco 42968 (Bachmann do this RTR)

Springs Branch - Wigan NW - Boars Head Jn - Adlington Jn - Horwich - Horwich Fork Jn - Dobbs Brow Jn - Hindley No. 3 - Westwood Park - Pemberton Winstanley Colliery Sidings - Pemberton - Wigan Wallgate - Hindley No. 2 - De Trafford Jn - Whelley - Standish Jn - Coppull Hall Sidings - Standish Jn - Whelley Jn - Amberswood West Jn - Platt Bridge Jn - Bamfurlong Sorting Sidings - Ince Moss Jn - Fir Tree House Jn - Platt Bridge Jn - Bickershaw Jn - Hindley South - Wigan Central Goods - Hindley South - Bickershaw Jn - Platt Bridge Jn - Springs Branch - Wigan North Western

I still have a couple of the excellent Airfix brake van kits to build.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

Oh my goodness, another LD&ECR fan!

If ever a model building, even in unfinished state, shouted its origins loud and clear, it is this one!

Are you actually modelling Edwinstowe or using the building for somewhere else?

I certainly am! I have constructed the model using 3D prints produced by a colleague, from photographs by Lawson Little and the Phil Shaw drawing.  Edwinstowe is being built for the LDEC Sutton extension, and will Include Ollerton water tower, and a standard goods shed.  I would like to build an island platform building, but do not have a suitable side elevation, so any information would be most helpful.  

I can forward my files if you are interested.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craigw said:

You asking a question did not bring the politics into something that is a far more complex issue than many of the simplistic replies suggest.

I lived for 12 years in Buxton which is in the Balmoral - Thirlmere - bargo area that copped the brunt of things a week or so ago. about 50 houses there were destroyed including the homes of people I know. I live in Campbelltown, about 50km form the area and for the last few weeks we have been living in a smoke haze paradise. Everything smells like burning wood and the air is thick with smoke and even we have burnt leaves everywhere. Today, the temperature got up to 44 on my verandah, i shudder to think what it was like in the direct sun. I know many of you would have seen photos, this is my local shopping centre about two weeks ago.

Hi Craig. You're correct it didn't but personally, I don't mind people putting their point of view across absolutely including yours. You and everyone else affected have my total empathy and best wishes.

Clem

• Like 6