Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the 70’s/80’s these are going through the works at the moment. Four original Airfix E140 B set coaches. Overall a reasonable starting point, and for their day, high quality RTR. These will have revised chassis’ and the bodies detailed so they don’t stand out against contemporary RTR or kit built coaches. These have been ‘in stock’ for about 30 years! And out of use for about twenty....

D569BC1F-313B-498E-827E-20B913BB9A48.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, PMP said:

Going back to the 70’s/80’s these are going through the works at the moment. Four original Airfix E140 B set coaches. Overall a reasonable starting point, and for their day, high quality RTR. These will have revised chassis’ and the bodies detailed so they don’t stand out against contemporary RTR or kit built coaches. These have been ‘in stock’ for about 30 years! And out of use for about twenty....

Snap:

Bset.jpg.03e348ddb758f5cb218cdc3e01681b6c.jpg

This one's had the erroneous window filled in, a repaint, laser-glaze windows, reworked underframe detail and new headstocks. I was told the underframe detail is incorrect in some respects but I'm happy enough with it as an impressionistic approach which allows the coach to sit with more detailed vehicles.

Al

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Tony,

Can I suggest slightly altering the way your new avatar is cropped so that the smokebox door is fully visible and your 4mm alter-ego is larger and off-centre. (I've also boosted the contrast a little bit.)

TWAV2.png.62dec9bf5342ecd2783f53785941a145.png            TWAV3.png.e3ee719a5021754b59d8ba554637bd4d.png

If you like my arty-farty suggestion :P then please use the square image on the right and let the forum crop it into a circle.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If you like my arty-farty suggestion :P then please use the square image on the right and let the forum crop it into a circle.

He has staff for that sort of thing. I've adjusted it.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Wow, that figure turned out really well Tony, I can actually hear you muttering something about my tattoos again! Hahaha 

how do you go about getting scanned? 

It's Alan Buttler of ModelU who does the scanning, Jesse.

Two years ago he was at the Stevenage Show and I was alongside him. I was thus scanned! 

He'll probably be at Warley. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Buhar said:

Jesse, you do realise you'll have to paint your tattoos and the peak of the backwards baseball cap may be too thin to print. And then you'll still be an anachronism on Brighton Jct.

Unless he portrays himself as a dustman.

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

"Proper model shops".

I was lucky over the years. Blunt's in Mill Hill to start me off; Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh; Dick Buckley's at Wakefield wasn't too far from Leeds; Kemp Models in Brighton (Hove, actually); the Train Shop at Lichfield wasn't too far from Polesworth; Scale Rail in Eastbourne (then after it moved the Hobby Box at Uckfield); then I moved overseas - nothing in Singapore but there are a couple in Sydney.

My last experience of a proper model shop was South Eastern Models at Felbridge, opened in 1976 by the wonderful Dave Ellis

on a Saturday you’d ofte; find a sh full of customers happily comparing notes, and even helping out behind the till when it got busy 

in in the early nineties he got offered the opportunity to buy Bob Wills’ white metal business which he relaunched as South  Eastern Finecast

ive not seen him In a decade, but he is a great guy

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Wow, that figure turned out really well Tony, I can actually hear you muttering something about my tattoos again! Hahaha 

how do you go about getting scanned? 

Will you  be able to stand still for long enough, Jesse?

Regards

Ian

• Funny 3

In the days of my childhood I remember Puffers of Kenton being an excellent model shop. The ground floor level being devoted to RTR, plastic kits and various accessories while the basement was full of locomotive kits. I spent many a happy weekend in that shop. After Kenton closed I found the Harrow model shop which was almost as good but sadly that closed as well.

Following on from the discussion on the old PC coaches, I thought I'd share what dropped through the letter box this morning.

599815511_Gresley51stock.jpg.ef2803260c83f6055f9fbc56f37c4b5d.jpg

These are Worsley Works scratch aids for some Gresley 51' non-corridor stock. Betweeen the 2mm Association, Ultima Models and my 3D printer, I'm sure I can source the missing bits and pieces.

These will be my first attempt at etched coaches and as such I've been reading the Comet booklet on etched coach building. However, I would appreciate some advice from those who have experience building etched coaches. The scratch aid seems to provide for building the body and underframe as separate components. I'm concerned that as the etch is only 0.25mm (10 thou) thick, there will not be sufficient strength in the sides if I build the body as a separate part. On the other hand, building the body and underframe as a single unit presents the problem of how to secure the roof. Any help would be most gratefully received.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Will you  be able to stand still for long enough, Jesse?

Regards

Ian

I'm more interested in how Jesse plans to paint representations of his tattoos on his miniature... :P

• Funny 1

I'm concerned that as the etch is only 0.25mm (10 thou) thick, there will not be sufficient strength in the sides if I build the body as a separate part.

Steve,

I find that if you use a brass roof, so you end up with 5 sides of a box, the resultant structure is very rigid.  With non-corridor vehicles you also have the option of making some of the partitions out of brass to add strength if necessary.  I'd do that on the brake vehicle as a matter of course where the sides step in.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Model railway shops -

Then - Eames almost on the doorstep of Reading station so readily accessible plus a couple of excellent pubs nearby; all long gone alas.  All ideally situated for those of us working just up the road in Western Tower (it's gone too).

Now - well Alton Model Centre is pretty good and Paul really does sell kits, not just wagon etc kits but kits containing pieces of metal to build into locos.   Nice and handy for me as it's only 27 miles away by road.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Atso said:

In the days of my childhood I remember Puffers of Kenton being an excellent model shop. The ground floor level being devoted to RTR, plastic kits and various accessories while the basement was full of locomotive kits. I spent many a happy weekend in that shop. After Kenton closed I found the Harrow model shop which was almost as good but sadly that closed as well.

Following on from the discussion on the old PC coaches, I thought I'd share what dropped through the letter box this morning.

599815511_Gresley51stock.jpg.ef2803260c83f6055f9fbc56f37c4b5d.jpg

These are Worsley Works scratch aids for some Gresley 51' non-corridor stock. Betweeen the 2mm Association, Ultima Models and my 3D printer, I'm sure I can source the missing bits and pieces.

These will be my first attempt at etched coaches and as such I've been reading the Comet booklet on etched coach building. However, I would appreciate some advice from those who have experience building etched coaches. The scratch aid seems to provide for building the body and underframe as separate components. I'm concerned that as the etch is only 0.25mm (10 thou) thick, there will not be sufficient strength in the sides if I build the body as a separate part. On the other hand, building the body and underframe as a single unit presents the problem of how to secure the roof. Any help would be most gratefully received.

Steve,

For most of my coach constructions, I make the bodysides, ends and roof as one unit. The underframe is then fixed to that 'box' by screws/nuts/bolts. The roof then acts as a support for the thin sides. 

The following shots show how this is arranged.

1806040009_carriages14.jpg.e1f424cf1f28fef97ea3b4673985ed57.jpg

705458611_Isinglassmilkvan17.jpg.5d4e620ca6c0b226bb0bc6662fbce3ca.jpg2032735040_MGNRRU06.jpg.7693f018e049c2be3459c19a0b7faa76.jpg

The roof on this one is yet to be attached.

Hope this helps..................

Whatever you do, do not seal the coach. You'll always need to get into the interior at some point in the future. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

9 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Steve,

I find that if you use a brass roof, so you end up with 5 sides of a box, the resultant structure is very rigid.  With non-corridor vehicles you also have the option of making some of the partitions out of brass to add strength if necessary.  I'd do that on the brake vehicle as a matter of course where the sides step in.

Thanks Jonathan. I was thinking of 3D printing the roof to both keep the weight down and save me having to fabricate rain strips, etc. I wonder if using impact adhesive to glue the roof to the body will still provide sufficient strength. 

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

Steve,

For most of my coach constructions, I make the bodysides, ends and roof as one unit. The underframe is then fixed to that 'box' by screws/nuts/bolts. The roof then acts as a support for the thin sides. 

705458611_Isinglassmilkvan17.jpg.5d4e620ca6c0b226bb0bc6662fbce3ca.jpg2032735040_MGNRRU06.jpg.7693f018e049c2be3459c19a0b7faa76.jpg

Whatever you do, do not seal the coach. You'll always need to get into the interior at some point in the future. 

Regards,

Tony.

Thank you Tony, those photographs are really helpful. Interesting to see the strengthening pieces along the length of the body, I'll have to see about fashioning something similar out of scrap etch. 

5 minutes ago, CF MRC said:

Can Andy help?

Until I can get one of the tools working which absolutely replicates what you see it's difficult to say Tim. As a temporary workaround it may be worth bookmarking the topic in your browser as one of your important points of call.

I'll put it on ze list.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Steve,

Regards,

Tony.

This is the method suggested by Comet when building their kits, and I am following it with my current build of a Collet non gangwayed third, the first such kit I have built for many years.  It seems counter intuitive to me, though; for strength a similar box unit can be made with the floor, sides, and ends, and the interior details added through the top, with the roof being the very last item.  But Tony is right; you are always going to want to get inside the coach for some reason, perhaps to deal with a passenger that's come unstuck (happens a lot on late night trains), and this method, using nut and bolt attachment at the ends, means that this can be done at any time.

• Thanks 1