Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Tony Wright

Wright writes.....

I thought it was only me who did that with pin numbers. That one's such-and-such Castle, that one's such-and-such Grange etc...

(NB - other GWR locomotive types are available).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Similar  (and includes some of the same) footage to that previously posted. It's not as sharp but might be worth ten minutes of your time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Clem,

I remember all my credit/debit card numbers and burglar alarm numbers by using either the appropriate four-digit LNER numbers or two of the post-'46 LNER numbers, writing down the locos' names. You'd have to be a railway nutter to figure out what they are..............

Regards,

Tony. 

Me too, except mine are Bulleid Pacifics!

Bill

Thanks for sharing. I particularly liked the pictures of the cars being loaded on the car carriers.

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Similar  (and includes some of the same) footage to that previously posted. It's not as sharp but might be worth ten minutes of your time.

Wonderful stuff,

Thanks for posting.

I particularly liked the passage of the typical Kings Cross-Peterborough semi-fast (probably only going out to the carriage sidings on this occasion). A pair of Gresley steel artics, BTK/TK, with a MK.1 CK in the middle, plus a BG. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

Wonderfully atmospheric and nostalgic as I grew up in Norf London near the ECML at this time - if I didn't see the trains in the this film I may well have heard them!  I learned to drive on a Bedford similar to that being loaded on the car carrier, 3 speed column change and bench seat. 

Also a valuable historical record of long-gone activity such as capstan shunting and the use of wagon turntables.  Are these films available in DVD format?

Nice to hear "proper" music as opposed to musac in the background.  I saved a 78 of this piece played on the Albert Hall organ when we cleared my Dad's house.

The models here must date originally from the 80's or earlier. The J72 started life as a Palitoy model, and the Loco Coal wagon peeking in an Ian Kirk basic kit. I suspect Colin Ashby must have done a recent run as they turned up as a pair for the princely sum of £14. Even the chassis, from Mainly Trains, originated in 2005.

The loco has been converted to the early-build short-bunker version, and a few details added. I suppose I could have waited for the Bachmann re-issue, but where is the fun in that? I imagine some very comprehensive upgrades have been done to these models over the years, but for a bit of quick fun, they made a change.

IMG_20190906_165309.jpg

• Like 9

On 06/09/2019 at 09:01, 2750Papyrus said:

Wonderfully atmospheric and nostalgic as I grew up in Norf London near the ECML at this time - if I didn't see the trains in the this film I may well have heard them!  I learned to drive on a Bedford similar to that being loaded on the car carrier, 3 speed column change and bench seat. 

Also a valuable historical record of long-gone activity such as capstan shunting and the use of wagon turntables.  Are these films available in DVD format?

Nice to hear "proper" music as opposed to musac in the background.  I saved a 78 of this piece played on the Albert Hall organ when we cleared my Dad's house.

Hi

There was a very good DVD produced, it was called,

The East Coast Main Line,

Volume One,

Kings Cross and its Approaches,

And I do believe that possibly some of the footage shown on the DVD's posted on Tony's blog are included in this one.

I purchased it a some years ago on Amazon so it may still be available either on Amazon or Ebay.

Some of the quality especially taken at Top Shed is very grainy but its still a great indication of Kings Cross MPD, Station and Surrounding area's in the late 1950's and early 1960's. and well worth watching.

I enclose two photos showing the front cover and rear cover which includes the DVD contents.

Like you I also grew up in North London, born in Tottenham and spent a lot of my time train-spotting at both Finsbury Park and Kings Cross stations from Late 1962 until Top Shed closed in June 1963

I do hope this is of help.

Regards

David

Kings_Cross_IMG_3752.jpg

Kings_Cross_IMG_3753.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I'm sure the weathered 9F won because she had a headlamp fitted !!

Superb modelling for 2mm though - all of them.

Brit15

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

Being an Ivybridge resident, I can confirm that is a very good resprentation of the viaduct.

IMG_0567.JPG.b7a7db3c898944fbba03f83933d27541.JPG

My own observation: it needs a lot more trees as this runs though Long Timber Woods! But the structure isn't bad at all.

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Did it have loads of trees in steam days?  Or are they a later addition?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Being an Ivybridge resident, I can confirm that is a very good resprentation of the viaduct.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_2019_09/IMG_0567.JPG.b7a7db3c898944fbba03f83933d27541.JPG

My own observation: it needs a lot more trees as this runs though Long Timber Woods! But the structure isn't bad at all.

Regards,

Nick.

A clever effect though, at least from this angle, with the line of trees (presumably) on the backscene doubling up as smoke.

• Funny 1

Some interesting new models to photograph today. 

Reports on these will appear soon in BRM. 

1160786980_BachmannParrottankcarrier38-74002.jpg.20cfa0e1ee64b6a9ee8ead03f7d3a3af.jpg

A Bachmann 'Parrot' tank carrier. Ingeniously, the tank is held in place by a magnet. 

1939820552_HornbyPeckettB2R369405.jpg.8e113d67f64c78ef6a3cc639cc2e9809.jpg

A Hornby Peckett.

1678742575_OGaugeDarstaedMK.jpg.469e949892180aba4cae0cf6c4e77610.jpg

And a Darstaed O Gauge Mk.1 suburban carriage. 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Regards,

Nick.

The layout is a work in progress - John Aldrick, the builder, has plans for lots more trees as well as some other scenic work (and probably some more coaches knowing John!)

Andy

• Informative/Useful 4

7 hours ago, 2mm Andy said:

The layout is a work in progress - John Aldrick, the builder, has plans for lots more trees as well as some other scenic work (and probably some more coaches knowing John!)

Andy

Ah yes. Doctor John is a fine modeller and his coaches are among the best.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah yes. Doctor John is a fine modeller and his coaches are among the best.

He is, and they are!

73589307_Ivybridge02.jpg.bc2d0255849fbd7d51e98daac5b73d02.jpg

1418957324_Ivybridge03.jpg.d5ae02b56593b899cfc482aeee47a4d2.jpg

166902396_Ivybridge04.jpg.dd1a4f194eb63743db028539ec1fd605.jpg

All the modelling I saw at the 2mm FS Association AGM was 'fine' and 'among the best'.

As a judge, how would 'you' choose between these below................

Dsc_2531.jpg.332ce56896ca7dc5b7f5a95af045e97a.jpg

And this?

Dsc_2534.jpg.367f0742edff3993b82c656223f7470a.jpg

Both were in the same category. 

Jerry Clifford's buildings would grace any scale, and Laurie Adams' working shunting tractor was incredible. 

You'll have to find out who was the winner by getting hold of a copy of BRM. 

I really do take my hat off to the guys/girls who work in this scale. They're self-reliant, creative and are keeping the true craft of modelling alive. They're also all incredibly modest and self-effacing!

Regards,

Tony.  

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Despite the fact that one friendly commentator recently opined the 'Prince of Wales' I got running again might be difficult to sell and there were far better models of the class, I'm delighted to report.......................

'Dear Tony

I'm delighted with the PoW. It's got a real charm to it and romped around my layout very happily.

I'd like to build a rake of Ratio LNWR coaches now, so it can have an occasional outing.'

Thanks Alastair, and particular thanks for adding a further £20.00 for CRUK.

I think this a lovely end to a story. An ancient (and quaint?) model, as received, no longer working, but happily now fixed and cherished in a new home.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 16:48, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Tony

Me jest about such a serious subject like model railways, what ever next?

Now the layout stocked with all the nice RTR and read to plonk buildings is OK providing the person who is operating it is having fun. It isn't normally the type of layout for me as I like making things myself and I also like seeing layouts where others have made things themselves. Now I have fun making my own stuff, and hope others who also make their own models also have fun.

At an exhibition I like to see layouts where the builders have made most things themselves, but if they look miserable, then I slide off and am more than happy to watch an RTR layout with operators with smiling faces  who are having fun. Sadly there are too many layouts at shows where smiles are far and few.  I hope Jol doesn't tell he off again for saying model railways should be fun but if you are not enjoying what you do have a look at skydiving, stamp collecting, knitting or another past time.

Thanks for a good dollop of inspiration, Clive. The Buffet car in particular got my attention and will be mercilessly imitated.

More victims to trawl for at swap-meets.

I'm just finishing another "worked-over" pair of the lavatory non-corridors having seen that they appeared on the S&D much more commonly than I had thought, thanks to another thread on here. These are from Dapol kits, (to save dismantling and repainting!) have all the usual Comet bits added underneath and Keen CCU's with Roco couplers in between so the buffers touch on straight track. The Airfix/Dapol bogies run very nicely indeed with Bachmann metal wheels in place of the standard plastic ones. Wire handrails going on the ends next, then just flush glazing to follow.

I also picked up (at the SWAG do in Taunton) a pair of brass sides for an unusual 57' BG converted from a wartime Ambulance car that will overlay another Dapol shell once I've finished removing bits of it to clear the window openings in the etches. 

Incidentally, it's worth noting that the Dapol body-shells seem to be made from a softer plastic that's easier to cut...

John

PS. Any chance of a photo of the other side of the Buffet Car?

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to Tony for coming along and judging at the 2mm AGM, I think he was impressed not only by the modelling on display but also the speed with which we rattled through the formal business so that we could get back to the important business of the day!

I was dashing between the AGM room upstairs and the main exhibition where I had Tucking Mill which is my excuse for not only leaving the wrong address for my Midland 2F but also forgetting to attach the battery for the gaslights in the shed.  I was also pulled up for my scrawled handwriting by teach - oh well:)

Anyway, I attach a shot of the shed interior with the lights on - more pictures and construction details on my Bath thread.

882019907_Interior1.JPG.aafd02af5c11e8dc9ea6ce3ebdc69760.JPG

Ive also posted some pictures from the excellent Swindon show on my Tucking Mill thread here;

Jerry

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

That 2mm stuff is awesome!  How do they see it let alone make it? Are calibrated eyes required?  In some respects the scale must be the apogee of modelling as the tolerances are so fine. I take my hat off to you gents of that ilk. 

Martin Long

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1