La Petite Ceinture

Neil C

• RMweb Gold

There were some very interesting locations around the Petite Ceinture to model. Compact and yet offering the possibility of short main line trains (through coaches being transferred between Gare du Nord and Gare de Lyon/Gare d'Austerlitz).

Some very good books on the line and any number of old postcards.

In the pre-nationalisation era, there was some fascinating stock on the Ceinture including a steam railmotor that had a dog kennel! And it has been available as a kit IIRC.

• RMweb Gold

Note that the text that accompanies the photos is a bit inaccurate. He's a photographer rather than a rail enthusiast/historian.

Local passenger services ceased on most of the Petite Ceinture in the 1930s. But the line from Pont Cardinet to Auteuil survived until closure in the mid 80s (?) for part to be reopened as a section of RER C.

On the eastern side of the Petite Ceinture, through diesel-hauled passenger trains continued to run until the 90s (all I think, through sleeping cars) before being diverted to the Grande Ceinture line further out in the suburbs. This meant that these trains were no longer remarshalled by taking them into Gare de Lyon or Gare d'Austerlitz but ran directly onto their destinations, usually without need of a loco change as the trains were hauled by the dual-voltage 22200 class.

What an interesting set of pictures. I do have a fascination with abandoned railways and this one is definitely up there with the most interesting ones. I think it says a lot about a city in the way it reclaims these types of abandoned areas for new uses and in some ways I am always loathed to see these types of places disappear (case and point the arm chair in the tunnel). However, we must not be blind to the fact that this line is now surplus to requirements and there is a need for space to develop in Paris.

Thanks for posting the link to these pictures.

I had heard that SNCF, in conjunction with the regional authority for Paris and some of the large shops (Monoprix being one that springs to mind) had launched a trial where goods for some of the big stores in central Paris would be put on rail some way outside the city. The wagons would be taken to a depot within the central area, then transferred to electrically-powered road vehicles for final distribution. I believe the depot being used was somewhere on the Petite Ceinture; I shall try and find out more.

(which I have; the scheme taking freight into cental Paris, exclusively for Monoprix, runs to a depot at Bercy, connected to RER line D, and not the Petite Ceinture. The vehicles used for the 'last mile' are LPG, not battery, powered. Volumes are in the order of 20 bogie vans per day.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I worked in Paris for 12 years and used to walk to work most days generally following the route of metro line 13 which crossed the Petite Ceinture near Porte de St Ouen. For me I think the best thing that could happen to the line would be to make it into a circular Metro /RER/Tram Line. I know this has been muted many times in the past and I am amazed that it has never happened considering it crosses nearly every Metro/RER line out of Paris. I think it would ease congestion in the center of Paris, I know it would have certainly helped me getting around when I wanted to. I suppose the same could be said for the Grande Ceinture as well?

Just my thoughts, Mike Lee

Archived