Heljan announce 4mm LNER O2, Class 05 Shunter and Class 26 'as-built' at Warley

Andy Y

Just the loco Hornby should have annouced instead of that rediculous O1.

Ridiculous??? It might not be everyones cup of tea, but it's a large LNER goods loco that as someone who owns one, I can honestly say Hornby have made a very fine job of.

Seriously, some people can't be pleased! :scratchhead:

I converted an industrial 05 (didn't know what they were called then!) from a Bacchy 03 some years ago as a birthday present for my father - the loco in question had worked in one of the power stations he used to work in (alongside the electric locos on the front page of the December Bylines!).

If I find a picture, I'll post it here.

Ridiculous??? It might not be everyones cup of tea, but it's a large LNER goods loco that as someone who owns one, I can honestly say Hornby have made a very fine job of.

Bachmann O4...Hornby just HAVE to, just cannot resist themselves and tread on their toes. I'm pleased as punch over an O2, as for Hornby, they can swivel! :lol:

Bachmann O4...Hornby just HAVE to, just cannot resist themselves and tread on their toes. I'm pleased as punch over an O2, as for Hornby, they can swivel! :lol:

Thank goodness, not everyone in the hobby has this attitude! :scratchhead:

At least we are agreed the O2 is a welcome addition to RTR.

Guest Max Stafford

And what, precisely was wrong with Hornby producing the O1?

It has been a popular choice, useful to bring a bit of variety to the fleets of Eastern Region modellers. I think the majority of modellers will view it as complementary rather than competing with the O4. The O2 can be viewed in the same light.

Dave.

I agree with you about the Baby D Chard, its looking impressi ve. Even more impressive though was the Class 16 they have captured the look of the class very well indeed, which is a challenge due to the number of grills and grab handles. Very happy with the Class 26 & 05 announcements as well.

Yes! Yes! How could I forget the 16 - it looked fantastic. Really subtly different from the 15. Very NBL.

I converted an industrial 05 (didn't know what they were called then!) from a Bacchy 03 some years ago as a birthday present for my father - the loco in question had worked in one of the power stations he used to work in (alongside the electric locos on the front page of the December Bylines!).

If I find a picture, I'll post it here.

D2587 and D2595 worked at Chadderton Power Station, they are both from the last batch built

Yes! Yes! How could I forget the 16 - it looked fantastic. Really subtly different from the 15. Very NBL.

Anybody take a pic. of the class 16? (Assuming a pre-prod. model was there).

Cheers, Peter C.

Anybody take a pic. of the class 16? (Assuming a pre-prod. model was there).

Cheers, Peter C.

I did, Peter. Need to download the Nokia and see how it translates. The loco was 'body in black' pre-pro, or that's how it looked - dark plastic anyway. Not sure how the detail will have resolved on my phone's lens, but let me have a look.

D2587 and D2595 worked at Chadderton Power Station, they are both from the last batch built

Do you have any photo's. I used to live very close to the power station and spotted at lunch times just near the vinegar factory between the Junction and what is now New Mills station. Back then i didn't have a camera and took it all for granted.

D5300 - not unexpected, & very welcome even if I've just backdated mine.

05 - having recently finished my Silver Fox one, and well pleased with it (Ihave posted pics on RMWeb somewhere), I'm still pleased with this announcement. Reading into it, it is possibly the forerunner of more shunters from Heljan maybe, if their normal trends are followed?

O2 - the curved ball from Heljan, a total surprise but very welcome.Another LNER gap-filller, very complimentary to others we've had recently.

As a GE (Cambridge area-ish) and lower end GN fan, it is surprising how much Heljan have produced for me.

47, 26, 27(March), 23, 33 (GN), 35 (Cambridge - just!), 15, 16, DP2, D0260, D0280, HS4000, W&M railbus, B-G (Whittlesea) and now these new 3 announcements. I like the Danes!

Stewart

Do you have any photo's. I used to live very close to the power station and spotted at lunch times just near the vinegar factory between the Junction and what is now New Mills station. Back then i didn't have a camera and took it all for granted.

The silly thing is I've worked on both of these and have no photos but found these links

http://www.flickr.co...N07/4245577505/

http://www.flickr.co...phy/3059314085/

D2587 needed a lot of work on her at Bury as at some time she fell into the weigh bridge pit at Chadderton bending her front buffer beam

Having seen a Hornby 01 today at Monk Bar in York I can quite agree that the Thompson machine is something that Hornby indeed should be very proud of. Do I detect the usual 'Gresley v's Thompson' arguement filtering down into 4mm form - where everyone immediately takes a side and rehashes everything they have read and heard someone else say in an effort to outdo someone whos done the same.

Whats really interesting is Heljan obviously have realised that there are not many examples left of engines that could make as much money in the diesel front for 00 gauge, and that the LNER steam freight sector is a market that they can add to along side the competition so that sales are encouraged off each others new models. It also underpins something Ive said for years, that new models produced will be purchased as long as further and existing releases compliment a range. Now we just need the freight sector to drift northwards past Doncaster, where it seems to have reached... so that all Eastern region modellers finally get the decent freight scene and engines of the region king of freight. NER territory, with Q6's, J27s and K1s.... heres hoping!

The silly thing is I've worked on both of these and have no photos but found these links

http://www.flickr.co...N07/4245577505/

http://www.flickr.co...phy/3059314085/

D2587 needed a lot of work on her at Bury as at some time she fell into the weigh bridge pit at Chadderton bending her front buffer beam

Thanks a lot, didn't realise they got to Bury. Best spot I ever got was the Warship, Western and I think Hymak being dragged to Bury via Castleton I think from Horwich Works.

• RMweb Premium

Yes but its a bit like London buses. You wait for ages and then 3 come along at once. Sorry I'm not fully au fait with LNER 2-8-0s but does that make 01,02 and 04?

To some extent they must abstract revenue from one another. Might the resources not have been better put into something like an Ivatt Atlantic (so as not to offend the LNER followers amongst us) or dare I say it...............something Scottish like a J36. We now have 3 LNER 2-8-0s and not a single Scottish 0-6-0

Just hope Simon McKohler or Mr McHubbert is taking note

Yes but its a bit like London buses. You wait for ages and then 3 come along at once. Sorry I'm not fully au fait with LNER 2-8-0s but does that make 01,02 and 04?

To some extent they must abstract revenue from one another. Might the resources not have been better put into something like an Ivatt Atlantic (so as not to offend the LNER followers amongst us) or dare I say it...............something Scottish like a J36. We now have 3 LNER 2-8-0s and not a single Scottish 0-6-0

Just hope Simon McKohler or Mr McHubbert is taking note

A MacLegend in his own time.......On your reckoning we can'y have a J36 as it might take revenue from a GER J15, NER J21, GNR J6 or a GCR J10. I have the 04 and I'm sure I won't be alone in buying the other two 2-8-0s. :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news----and the new Hornby O1 is a cracker too--just indulged myself with a 'Dirty Boy' weathered example at Warley.For heaven's sake ,please stop knocking and enjoy it while you can. In the words of the late Harold MacMillan 'You've never had it so good' When I was a kid,Hornby Dublo was as scarce as hen's teeth--the choice being Sir Nigel Gresley,The Duchess Of Atholl and a quasi-N2 tank. Now look at the riches we have!

To some extent they must abstract revenue from one another. We now have 3 LNER 2-8-0s

Don't forget the other two that have been around for a few years. :sungum:

(Stanier and WD for those ignorant of such matters)

That makes five according to my maths.

The time for heavy metal has certainly never been so good.

Bernard

The O2 offers further fun possibilities, especially if Heljan make with the spares in steamers as they have done with their earlier models. That eight coupled chassis with 5'2" drivers (those from the Garratt would be the right diameter) is right for 1920s freight superpower, Gresley's P1 2-8-2. There's no shortage of Hornby A1/A3 bodies kicking about...

Next time you're choosing to adopt a needlessly derogatory stance please also choose not to post comments like that here.

Archived