Leintwardine, Teme Valley Light Railway

Hesperus

It's rather a long time since I updated this thread.  The TVLR is still having a motive power crisis.

044.thumb.JPG.68533c7f88641f5618d9df6af7061a54.JPG

The infernal combustion was the first engine that I built that worked,  it did however squeal horribly so I attempted to rebuild it.  In rebuilt form it didn't work properly and still squealed,  a drop of oil on the motor spindle silenced the noise but it still either shorted out or fell off the track.  On checking it over this week I discovered that it's matching pair of 00 gauge Hornby driving wheels I'd liberated from the bits box were not in fact the same size.  I set about fileing out the axle slots to 5mm to take some random H0 drivers of similar size that were obviously off a split chassis loco (it's effectively an 0-2-2 so different sizes on each axle are not to much of an issue) but didn't think it through properly and realised afterwards that this would short out on the metal chassis.

I think a set of proper hornblocks are the answer here.

041.thumb.JPG.b09b5d5f714293e64650204994755464.JPG

This 0-4-2 has driven me utterly bananas.  It's scrapbox Hornby drivers are at least the same size but attaching them and a gear to axles in a way that they would all work in harmony has taken a ridiculous amount of time and trouble and only really works now because there is a delrin chain between the two axles and tiny pins into the axles wherever it won't cause electrical problems.  It's been sitting in the 'too difficult' pile for months and only came out last night so I could remind myself what not to do.  While trying to remember why it would never run I surprised myself by getting it to briefly work.

042.thumb.JPG.bbf4b1b8bb525c98500ef3996d1c5b94.JPG

This little Manning Wardle came about as an 'easy' 0 gauge conversion of a Hornby 0-4-0.  It would be easy because I would use the frames, wheels and motion from the original engine but spaced further apart.  It very briefly worked before the gear and wheels let go of their new axle and refused to stay put again.

045.thumb.JPG.7082f8985bb6c1d066d8a0e22815c588.JPG

The brass chassis was bought for £5 from a show nearly 20 years ago and has defied all attempts at motorising.  It was an 0-6-0 but the wheel spacing was rather odd so I've borrowed one set for a tender and any future plans will be 0-4-2.

The Triang and wood attempt was a plan B for the little Manning Wardle that won't turn smoothly whatever I do to it.

043.thumb.JPG.fdfff3b1096bf19a38e1a6d11f6da36c.JPG

This ancient Jinty is back on it's Basset Lowke chassis.  I really suprised myself by managing to convert it to two rail operation and it was great until the motor started shorting itself out.  I'm not sure what to do as I could fit a good beefy motor in it's place but I'd feel bad about ripping out a 60 year old motor and hacking the chassis.

046.thumb.JPG.343851256c65faf2278b792e211dd855.JPG

With the Jinty back on the B-L chassis I had a spare Lima 4F chassis so cast about for a scratch-build project.  The wheels are a little too large for an Ilfracombe goods really but compared to my other compromises this is the last of it's problems.  Just need to finish the tender and then the TVLR will have at least one engine I can rely on to make it the length of the layout under it's own power.

047.JPG

Edited by Hesperus
  • Like 4

Have you considered the possibility of converting the Bachmann OO gauge "Percy" chassis? From what I recall, it has a wheelbase of 40mm and, drivers 14mm diameter. This works out as 5'8.5" and 2'0" respectively in 7mm scale. It also has the advantage of working cross-heads. Certainly, I'm looking at using this for a semi-freelance industrial 0-4-0.

I'll have a look at my sons Bachmann junior locos,  they certainly have better motors that the cheaper stuff that Hornby makes.

The problems that I've had persuding 80's Hornby bits onto longer axles have taken me a slightly different way though.  This lot came through the post the other day http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141489318417?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AITI think the valve gear will look nicely mechanical in 7mm and the axles are a nice standard 1/8th of an inch rather than the random size that Triang/Hornby use.  I'll have to make new frames but I have got access to a pillar drill at the moment so this shouldn't be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Something strange has been seen at Leintwardine yard, the locals are wondering if it's come from Lapland. The manager isn't sure either but thinks it will be reliable once the fitters have got it going.

367.jpg.3db33666afa9920306519e6eb8f809ca.jpg

369.jpg.778a7d5df62102bd3974e7a5f9ecf6b7.jpg

This little diesel has travelled a long way, it turned up in the RMWeb classified ads with the temptation of 'offers' in the price field. The seller was after 009 things which I didn't have so it was secured for some custom made track. I was a little surprised when I was given a Brazilian address to send it to. She needs a little work to run and then a bit of 'Angletizing' to fit in a bit better but I'm very pleased with my 'christmas pressie'.

Edited by Hesperus
  • Like 3

It lives :D

post-8493-0-93091700-1419446865_thumb.jpg

The cab roof will need adjustment but other than that it fits the tightest bit of the layout. Plenty to do before it's ready, fitting buffers and couplings being the first job but now I've got a couple of working locos I'm a bit happier about getting on with the rest of the layout.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

This has gone a bit quiet again hasn't it? It is running though unlike most of the TVLR's loco fleet. It seems that the general manager has managed to hire a 4F from Craven Arms shed to run the service today. Here it is shunting a few wagons around between trains.

IMG_20151025_231408424.thumb.jpg.2a311e36a7deb7250961af6982f436d0.jpgIMG_20151025_233659008.thumb.jpg.9c844e5d6c66591b869baae841aa65e0.jpgIMG_20151025_234628611.thumb.jpg.96b97c726fd29a7cfaee8a7a5fb00d2b.jpg

Before collecting it's train, ready to head back to the junction.

14458162505671.jpg

Edited by Hesperus
  • Like 4

As this layout is set just after the 1923 grouping I was going to renumber the 4f with the earlier style of lettering. Are there any big differences between this and the MR 3835 class? It would be a brave shed master who would loan a brand new loco to a light railway.

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see an update on Leintwardine Rich. I do like the viewpoint in the first photo - very good.

There's a few differences between the MR and the LMS built versions, namely the change to left hand drive on the LMS version; different tenders as well with the MR versions having the older Johnson tender. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Hesperus!

I've only just stumbled across your layout (after following the link you posted elsewhere) but I don't know how I've missed it previously! What fantastic, resourceful, interesting modelling. I love the whole concept - stock and layout.

Can I ask the overall dimensions of the layout?

It is inspiring as I have recently decided to move up to 7mm scale but I have a very limited budget and amount space available and so I am looking at as many small/micro layouts as possible as a source of inspiration.

I hope you don't mind my question and look forward to seeing if there has been any further progress!

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ditto.

I think the tale of not-quite fully assembled locos, standing on grass-grown track, makes it more realistic than most light railway layouts. I'm sure I've seen photos of it, taken by H C Casserley or R W Kidner in about 1938.

Can I ask about the Code 100 on cardboard sleepers?

Does it happily accept BRSMB coarse-scale wheels? As a coarse railwayman, who is into, among far too many other things, light railways, it looks like a very interesting idea, to tuck away for the glorious day when I have time for scratch building again.

Kevin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps, you've really put a smile on my face this evening.

The scenic bit of the layout is 130x28cm with a 60cm long fiddlestick which I have to get round to replacing with a sector plate or traverser to make things easier to operate.

I'm sorry but I don't know if the track conforms to BRSMB or any other standards. My original stock was all coarse scale and I like that side of modelling so I have set the flangeways to 2mm which allows most of it to run. Old Hornby and other very coarse stock won't run on rails that are 2.5mm high though. I was cursing finescale for not running on any track that the other stock would until I put a vernier gauge on my pair of finescale wheels to find that they were S7. Since then I have found most 32mm gauge stock to be fairly happy considering my tight curves and indifferent track laying.

Have a lack of progress photo.

IMG_20160405_242143119.thumb.jpg.f33e7cd1b163f342259faea066a251c6.jpg

The wagon arrived recently from an actual model shop which is unusual to say the least. I spotted it looking sad in Hereford model centre with only one buffer head, as that was a drawing pin it was easy enough to add 3 more and swap the couplings to 3 links. Easiest bit of stock for ages.

The coach has been rather more work, it is from Alphagraphx's Irish range and might even be finished soon. One axle swivels slightly to deal with my wobbily track.

Edited by Hesperus
  • Like 3

• 4 years later...

I was chatting about this layout on MrWolf's excellent Aston on Clun thread and realised that I really should get it down from the loft where it's been lurking for 5 years since I moved house.  For one thing I needed to see if the station building I assembled last year fitted.  It seems my measurements were correct and once the platforms been trimmed it will be fine.  Unfortunately while the front is quite charming it faces the backscene and the other side is plain boards so a rethink may be required.

IMG_20210317_222733323.thumb.jpg.e00a547d5d4ae453c2ce4c610f93a75e.jpgIMG_20210317_223012078.thumb.jpg.9c02318db43113ed53c67dc55c7ce6ba.jpgIMG_20210317_225018646.thumb.jpg.12fd681975c84f479da52b188feff6e3.jpg

I was hoping to do a first train video but that is going to require soldering as the controller with the correct wiring connection is misbehaving.  I've run a couple of engines on the the fiddlestick though.

Hopefully I can get it finished before the next distraction happens  :D

Edited by Hesperus
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 year later...

It's winter and model railway mojo has been partially restored by collecting my dad's old tinplate from his loft.

20240120_235153.jpg.738102d5fe85ebfda95627cfb15496e4.jpg

A cheap mineral wagon has been snagged from eBay.  Does anyone know what it is?  

Screenshot_20240120_213837_eBay.jpg.e2024781902c37bc49c76aa5ff269051.jpgScreenshot_20240120_213830_eBay.jpg.4bb81e1cddddd5379cc5b5d4ac50bfd7.jpg

• Like 7

Tonight the soldering iron needed to come out to address a broken rail joint.  While it was out I thought I'd introduce an isolating section to allow two locos on scene at once.

The layout wiring is a bit unusual.  The boards are Kingspan with wood around the edge so there is no space underneath.  The wires go straight from the board joints to rails that are always live.  As all 3 points back onto the board joint the switchable frogs go right up to the join.  The switch's are built into the point levers and buried in the board.

I selected a space for a switch that would be hidden in the weeds at the end of the siding.  In order to fit it I temporarily removed most of the weeds.

20240122_212145.jpg.dd32a1cc96ace2e2065ab9cc4277566d.jpg

On testing it I remembered that I'd need to remove the wire that previously powered the siding.

20240122_212157.jpg.47c019a673058d980fd7d784ea5bbd9c.jpg

On doing that I spotted another switch I'd hidden in the weeds at this end when I built it 12 years ago, guess what that is for? 🫣

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

So I think I've found out what the wagon is.

https://peco-uk.com/collections/parkside/products/lner-jubilee-coal-wagon?variant=7435680841762

Although I'm not sure why mine has metal underframe bits 🤔 

Helpfully the Oxford version in 00 gives me a few ideas for PO liveries that are probably accurate for the wagon even if it's a little hard to explain why it's in Herefordshire.

• Like 1