4mm and 7mm model musings

Whilst doing things other than building Greenfield in 4mm scale, I have been allowing my mind to wander into the realms of 0 gauge. I like the fact that one can dwell on a single wagon and take in the fine detail in contrast to 4mm where this is less worthwhile.  Influence comes from visiting PGH of this parish. He spends ages on a 7mm wagon and the outcome is always a miniature of the real thing.

One thing for sure, a 7mm layout couldn't be Greenfield. It isnt the size so much as offordability. Perhaps it is just as well that 0 gauge is ideal for browsing at a small station and yard and watching a well detailed loco pushing trucks around. Being off the main Standedge route it would have to be a station like Lees minus a loco shed or Parkbridge or even a terminus like Delph. I suspect it'll never happen though because for some odd reason I don't see 7mm in terms of coaching stock. Again, this must be the PGH influence, as he models a National Coal Board line. Ah well, hope you dont mind me sharing random thoughts....I'll stick with 4mm but it would be interesting to see some good images of 'steam-era' 4mm and 7mm rolling stock and common & garden 7mm locos.

Heres a couple from me to get things started, by the way I personally have never regretted moving up to 7mm.

post-7101-0-65793700-1357501911.jpg

42XX on permanent way work.

post-7101-0-89787500-1357502028.jpg

A couple of grimey milk tankers.

post-7101-0-02724700-1357502146.jpg

SR/BR  Luggage van.

ATB,

Martyn.

That's what I mean...That loco and more especially the wagons look pretty damn real. The weathering is particularly well done. Flexible realistic scissor corridor connections too. Any chance of sources of kits/RTR and prices to build up an idea of the cost of 7mm?

Hi Coachman,

The wagon behind the 42xx is one of the Peco range and is one I built around 20 yrs ago, then I think it was around £20 but that did include the wheels, sprung couplings/buffers and working leaf spring suspension !! They are a joy to build and nearly all parts are plastic so you just need a bottle of Mek pak to build.

The tankers are Slaters and are around the £55-60 I think ? Everythings included except transfers and you may want to swop the 3 link couplings for screwlink as they ran at express speeds. A bit more of a complex kit than the Peco wagons and a lot more detail especially with the brake gear, but they do go together well and again just Mek pak to build. I add extra weight to all my plastic wagons.

The Luggage van is a CRT kit and is made entirely from brass, I brought it at the Telford show at the cost of £117 I think ? You have to buy the wheels and also sort some transfers, the scissor corridor connections in the kit were not to my liking so I used the one's from JLTRT for £14.  Another enjoyable kit to build using solder to construct and not one for beginers in my opinion.

When it comes down to cost it's the same old story, what you pay is what you get. Most decent wagons with good detail can be brought for around the £35 mark, coaches can be brought from £60 right up to over £200 so you need to do your homework. The best thing about 7mm is the kits are a lot less fiddly to build and there's a sense of mass and weight about them, I hope this is of some help.

ATB,

Martyn.

Those milk tankers look wonderful, don't think I would want to drink anything that's been in them

Supposedly they were as clean as a whistle on the inside, honest :sungum: .

post-7101-0-07859400-1357506927.jpg

The brake gear on the tankers,

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn,

I did a WEP Fruit D back in the autumn of 2011. Great kit to build.

post-12902-0-36476700-1357511636.jpg

post-12902-0-89903200-1357511638.jpg

I've build this as the BR variation of the GWR Fruit D, hence the light switch on the end. I think I have the wrong type of vacuum pipe though.

Hi Kev,

Very nice job you have made there, I was asking because I finished my WEP fruit D a few weeks ago and is still in brass as I am still not sure as to what livery to paint it in. I have built the earlier version with the gas lights as I want it to be in a run down condition, but I have recently heard that some were painted in bauxite and If I can definitely confirm this that is what I will go for, if not it will be the same as yours with lots of grot added.

Great kit to build if not a bit fiddly, the steps are a bu**er ( sound familar ? ) and in the end I fitted them last with a supporting strip soldered up the back of them.

ATB,

Martyn.

Nice work Kev,

Have you done a WEP or JLTRT fruit D ? If so a piccy would be nice.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martin,

I bought both kits at Telford last year and ended up making the decision to use the JLTRT body and incorporate the WEP chassis into it - painted using Railmatch spray and Cambridge Custom Transfers.

post-6951-0-85816700-1357548522.jpg

post-6951-0-86852600-1357548524.jpg

post-6951-0-25205000-1357548527.jpg

post-6951-0-74163700-1357548528.jpg

I am more than happy with the result.

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I was an avid reader of your Fruit D build on the other forum and it was reading your thread that made me decide to bring it to the top of the to do pile, like I said it's still in brass until I decide on the livery.

ATB,

Martyn.

Hi Martyn,

I think that it would be quite straight forward to introduce the 'flat' part of the diagonal angle bracing onto the model, if a bit fiddly to form the slots for the 'vertical' tongue to pass through. I'm surprised that Bill Parker does not provide these flats as a separate etch with the kit. The other main problem as you are aware is with the solebar/headstock alignment.

Best of luck with your build, looking forward to seeing the progress photos.

regards

Mike

Beautiful models Paul with much attention to fine detail. Leaving aside 0 gauge track which always looks better than 4mm/00 for some reason, I particularly like the coal wagons by the coal staithes. Thanks also for posting the small ancillery details for completing a scene.

'Building something' isn't always apparent in the top-40 active threads except for layouts, although it could be found if searched for amongst the Blogs and Special Interest threads. It occurs to me that the modelling seen so far on this thread belies the notion that RMweb is all about RTR Hornby and Bachmann. 

Hi Kev,

Very nice job you have made there, I was asking because I finished my WEP fruit D a few weeks ago and is still in brass as I am still not sure as to what livery to paint it in. I have built the earlier version with the gas lights as I want it to be in a run down condition, but I have recently heard that some were painted in bauxite and If I can definitely confirm this that is what I will go for, if not it will be the same as yours with lots of grot added.

Great kit to build if not a bit fiddly, the steps are a bu**er ( sound familar ? ) and in the end I fitted them last with a supporting strip soldered up the back of them.

ATB,

Martyn.

Thanks again Martyn.

After a quick look I don't appear to have any information with regards to the livery of the GWR Fruit D's. The BR ones when straight into service in Maroon. Sorry I can't be more help.

In the end I gave up on the step brackets and soldered them directly onto the solebars. If you look closely you'll see that they are a bit low as a result. :whistle:

'Building something' isn't always apparent in the top-40 active threads except for layouts, although it could be found if searched for amongst the Blogs and Special Interest threads. It occurs to me that the modelling seen so far on this thread belies the notion that RMweb is all about RTR Hornby and Bachmann. 

The kit and scratchbuilding section is probably where I spend most of my time on here. There are a lot of very, very talented craftsmen and women on this forum.

i'm about to make a start on a pair of these fruit Ds, both are the WEP kit and i like the look of these maroon examples

Can you narrow down which transfer sheet you used as i'll be needing some in about a months time, hopefully!

Thanks

As BR did not introduce maroon until 1956, the vans built in early BR days would be carmine red to begin with and pretty grubby thereafter.

I will probably spray my fruit D in the earlier carmine livery and for this colour I use Halfords Vauxhall carmine red, I used this on the Van BY below.

post-7101-0-88914800-1357583017.jpg

ATB,

Martyn.

And funny thing is 7mm even looks heavy! (GWR 2-8-0 outside the works).

That roof is a pretty good representation of canvass on the carmine red Fruit D. Was this intended or did cellulose misbehave on plastic?  I should add I am not taking the mickey.

i'm about to make a start on a pair of these fruit Ds, both are the WEP kit and i like the look of these maroon examples

Can you narrow down which transfer sheet you used as i'll be needing some in about a months time, hopefully!

Thanks

Bill the owner of WEP does the transfers if you are modelling the GWR, but if your going for BR/WR then you can either buy a few HMRS sheets and try and make up the lettering needed, if not Mike ( Ressalder ) had some made up and he might have some left if you ask him nicely, I brought some off him and they are rather good.

ATB,

Martyn.

And funny thing is 7mm even looks heavy! (GWR 2-8-0 outside the works).

That roof is a pretty good representation of canvass on the carmine red Fruit D. Was this intended or did cellulose misbehave on plastic?  I should add I am not taking the mickey.

Hi Coachman,

Well done for noticing the roof yes it was intended and to get that canvas effect, all I used was a paper kitchen towel glued onto the roof first then just add roof colour.

Martyn.

Archived