'Modern' Western Region signal boxes

• RMweb Premium
attachicon.gif D7078 Departs Shiplake, for Henley 310763 cr.jpg (edit - it seems you can't paste photos from another thread :nono: )

The photo of Shiplake signal box from the Stationmaster's Henley thread prompts me to wonder whether anyone has ever modeled one of these 'modern' wooden bodied WR signal boxes. There were quite a lot of them about and I feel they would be an interesting signature feature of a hydraulic era layout. In fact they date from the Fifties, so one would not be out of place in a predominantly steam context.

I wonder how many examples we can think of. There seem to have been quite a few in Wales (Machynlleth, Whitland, Cymmer, Bargoed, Letterston Junction) and also in the Home Counties. Not so many in the West Country however - Eggesford is the only one I can think of. Evesham is also of this type.
Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

Someone has modelled one I think - sure I saw it in a layout pic from a recent exhibition but i can't remember the name of the layout.

They were quite remarkable buildings and beautifully finished exterior wise when new - properly varnished timber which lasted quite well.  In addition to those already named there was one at Windsor following the resignalling, another at Maidenhead, also Twyford, Radyr, and Dainton.  In addition one was erected at Swindon but never commissioned, and there was also one at PortTalbot on a temporary basis and one at Bristol East Depot.  As far as I know Twyford was the only one to have an NX panel, all the others were solely equipped with lever frames except for Cowbridge Road at Bridgend which was one of the ground cabin versions and it had Santon switches on the front of the blockshelf to work its two signals.  The ground level version was also installed at reading High Level in 1965 - which was I think the only one that operated a Prince's Lock combined point & FPL lever while another ground level one appeared at Porth although I suspect it might have been conversion from a normal height one.

In addition the structure of the upper part of some WR panel signal boxes (Newport, Slough and Reading) was constructed in the same way with very similar sections while there was a variant which had a brick base with timber upperworks (Waterloo Loop, East Usk, Honeybourne, and Acton Yard, and at least one in the Margam area).

They could be erected in an amazingly short space of time requiring a concrete strip foundation to carry the lever frame and small curtain foundations for the walls - Shiplake's main structure was erected in no more than a couple of days although fitting out took longer.  Because of their prefabricated nature they were as easy to dismantle as they were to erect and several of them served at more than one place - I believe the one that was never commisioned at Swindon went to Port Talbot and Windsor (which had short life) was definitely reused elsewhere and the one at Bargoed had also served elsewhere previously (possibly Twyford?).  And of course the only which replaced the demolished 'box at Hungerford was also apparently in its second home while the oddest use of one which I know of was as a club room next to one of the 'lakes' (flooded mine workings) at Westbury.

As signalboxes they came as a big surprise with a far better view than the small windows might suggest and a nice even temperature inside - not too hot in summer and pleasantly cosy in winter (unless there was a power failure and the electric heaters ceased to work) and there was also a hatch to access the basically flat roof where it was not unknown for more than a few Signalmen to grow tomato plants.  All in all I was always far more impressed by them than I expected to be.

There was one just to the south of Stratford-on-Avon - there's a pic on here somewhere but as the name of the box escapes me I can't search for it! 

Evesham Road Crossing perhaps?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

I remember Black Lion well as a chap at Signalling School in Manchester Victoria worked there after passing out. It looked over the very sombre view of Aberfan over the hillside. I also remember Dainton & Evesham from my MOM days at Bristol Parkway. I never visited Bargoed though.

Here is my Western Region "pigeon loft" style panel box perched on the relay room roof at Sandy Hill. It's taken from the Swindon design but has some ancestory to the discussion I think.

post-2613-0-75582600-1358579971_thumb.jpg

The "panel inside is also shown

post-2613-0-36511000-1358580010_thumb.jpg

Edited by winterbournecm
  • Like 8

Old Castle Junction, Llanelli (10.1961- 12.12.1973), was one, built as part of the works of upgrading the L&MMR in anticipation of Cynheidre's increased production. Other boxes in the same style were built at Sandy Junction (22.7.1962-25.2.1968),Magpie Grove (??- 1966)and Cynheidre itself (10.01.1960- 25.2.1968); the traffic never took off as intended (projected 500,000 tonnes of anthracite per year, usually closer to 100,000), hence the short life of the 'boxes on the branch.

• RMweb Gold

Here is Black Lion

attachicon.gifscan0034.jpg

Black Lion Signal Box, 14/4/83.

And is this structure related in any way?

attachicon.gifscan0037a.jpg

Undy Yard cabin 25/9/86

cheers

The lower one is the 'ground frame' or ground level version - and thanks for reminding me about the one at Undy.  This version was certainly fairly limited in number as far as I'm aware.

Incidentally Black Lion - mentioned above - was also a pre-used 'box and might well have come from the London Division as well.  And whilst I'm at it there was also one, quite an early one, at West Drayton.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Radyr shown here, built c1961

http://www.roscalen.com/signals/RadyrJct/index.htm

Interior here in 1973 - opened in June 1961 I believe  (and one where tomatoes were grown on the roof).  Beautifully planned frame which was a pleasure to work and in fact could be worked by two men although it was never manned that way.  Copy of the 'box diagram  (as in 1973) lurking in a drawer 4ft away from me, probably because I can't remember all the lever numbers anymore ;)

post-6859-0-98859000-1358619721.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Not a plywood wonder, but BR built.

Bathampton in 1970.

attachicon.gif005_2.JPG

Yes, the last Reading design of permanent structure mechanical signalbox I think and not too many of them and with a few variations - others being Kidderminster and Carmarthen Junction that immediately come to mind (Carmarthen Junction still being in use but now equipped with an OCS panel - also fairly unique as it too is a Reading design, probably the largest one they ever did).

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the last Reading design of permanent structure mechanical signalbox I think and not too many of them and with a few variations - others being Kidderminster and Carmarthen Junction that immediately come to mind (Carmarthen Junction still being in use but now equipped with an OCS panel - also fairly unique as it too is a Reading design, probably the largest one they ever did).

Plus Flax Bourton http://bristol-rail.co.uk/wiki/File:Flax_Bourton_Signalbox1.jpg  and the short-lived box at Aberbargoed Junction on the Brecon & Merthyr (1958-64).

A  really stylish design, in my opinion.

The model of the 'Plywood wonder' was on  Bernie Bakers P4 layout Allyt-y-Graban Road, the photo being in the January Rail Express. Very nice model it looks to in its natural wood finish. I always assumed the slats mounted externally above the windows where to reduce the glare from low sun. I know when the box at Eggesford (reputed to be second hand from Ashendon Jct) was repainted the signalmen requested them to be removed/not reattached. The box faced a hillside so low sun was not a problem but when going out to exchange tokens on a wet day, having rainwater directed down the back of your neck was!

Some photos of some Welsh examples and other later designs:-

post-14048-0-45646700-1358629221_thumb.jpg

Bargoed 22/02/1988

post-14048-0-97849300-1358629342_thumb.jpg

Black Lion 22/02/1986

post-14048-0-68232100-1358629417_thumb.jpg

Radr Junction 20/09/1986

post-14048-0-45055900-1358629529_thumb.jpg

Dovey Junction 01/11/86

post-14048-0-10875000-1358629592_thumb.jpg

Machynlleth 01/11/1986 the push me pull you box looking a bit odd with a staircase at either end

post-14048-0-27192500-1358629917_thumb.jpg

Whitland 17/09/1987

post-14048-0-71528300-1358630006_thumb.jpg

Tenby 17/09/1987 the interior was a little austere as the token instrument(s?) where in the station.

post-14048-0-12965800-1358629781_thumb.jpg

East Usk 02/05/1986

post-14048-0-06575700-1358629806_thumb.jpg

the nicely kept interior on the same day

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

The model of the 'Plywood wonder' was on  Bernie Bakers P4 layout Allyt-y-Graban Road, the photo being in the January Rail Express. Very nice model it looks to in its natural wood finish. I always assumed the slats mounted externally above the windows where to reduce the glare from low sun. I know when the box at Eggesford (reputed to be second hand from Ashendon Jct) was repainted the signalmen requested them to be removed/not reattached. The box faced a hillside so low sun was not a problem but when going out to exchange tokens on a wet day, having rainwater directed down the back of your neck was!

Yes, the slats were intended to reduce glare and they were quite successful at doing it from the places I visited which had them (in pre-working days that was) although Radyr wasn't too much of a problem without them except at certain times of day at certain times of the year - and not for very long so no trouble.  

Are there any drawings of these boxes at all, please - or even dimensions?

The Signalling Record society did an article on these boxes many years ago in their journal. Apart from knowing of its existance I never saw the article so do not know if it had any plans or dimensions in it. Might be worth contacting them though I suspect the article was over 25 years ago, possibly by the late John Morris.

Being made from standard panels the boxes had a door at either end of the operating floor (If I say they all did some one will come up with a photo proving otherwise!) even those which had an internal staircase.

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 2

Marsh Junction - this might go well in the changing face of Bristol, as the link road goes over here

post-7177-0-17252800-1358680365_thumb.jpg

Hungerford 25/06/78

post-7177-0-96698000-1358680394_thumb.jpg

Kidderminster  14/08/78. I have more recent pictures, but this is interesting for the rolling stock.

post-7177-0-60025000-1358680422_thumb.jpg

Do Onibury & Kidwelly  still survive?

I've also seen in my collection (but not mine to post) Keynsham & Somerdale, Rosehay North(?), Hayle Wharf, Exeter City Basin.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Marsh Junction - this might go well in the changing face of Bristol, as the link road goes over here

attachicon.gifMarsh Junction.jpg

Hungerford 25/06/78

attachicon.gifHungerford.jpg

Kidderminster  14/08/78. I have more recent pictures, but this is interesting for the rolling stock.

attachicon.gifKidderminster.jpg

Do Onibury & Kidwelly  still survive?

I've also seen in my collection (but not mine to post) Keynsham & Somerdale, Rosehay North(?), Hayle Wharf, Exeter City Basin.

When you say 'Rose Hay North' are you perhaps thinking of Rose Hetworth?  I know it had a relatively modern structure (which survived as a Shunters' cabin after it ceased to be a signalbox) but I'm not sure how modern it was.  Which reminds me of Maindy Bridge (new 1956) which was also in the Bathampton style and which survived as the Shunters' cabin - an easy one to forget as I used to visit it almost every week for a year in the days when it was a Shunters' cabin  :blush: