Street Running in Canada

trisonic

A nice shot from Brantford, Ontario, this January that I stumbled over on Rail Pictures.net:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=420231&nseq=2&favsearch=1

And another of the same GP9 from this January:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=421059&nseq=3

The second photo looks like it is parked up someone's driveway....(as noted in the Comment section)

I really like these locos. Nice to see them still working.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 9

There's movie of this that I've seen on Youtube. Wouldn't begin to know where to look for it now but I stumbled across it one lunchtime whilst browsing for Ontario Southland stuff I think. Looks even more amazing when you see a GP9 staggering over that track with pedestrians wandering in front of it.

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

There's movie of this that I've seen on Youtube. Wouldn't begin to know where to look for it now but I stumbled across it one lunchtime whilst browsing for Ontario Southland stuff I think. Looks even more amazing when you see a GP9 staggering over that track with pedestrians wandering in front of it.

CHRIS LEIGH

This one, Chris? At 3:00 min.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 5

Yep, it's really hard to lay track that badly and still get locos to cover it. A guy in Australia managed it - but, alas, he is not a member on here...................

Mind you a "long throw" lens makes it look worse by foreshortening.

Best, Pete.

Dear Pete,

Yep, it's really hard to lay track that badly and still get locos to cover it. A guy in Australia managed it - but, alas, he is not a member on here...................

Mind you a "long throw" lens makes it look worse by foreshortening.

Best, Pete.

It's not _actually_ that hard, particularly when you remember that a few 0.001" in HO is a pretty big vertical step. (Just like seasoning when cooking, "It doesn't take much to make a big difference" ;-) ).

The bigger problem is that the HO locos and cars do not have the mass, and the springing to "wallow" and "sway" when they tip L<>R, rather they "jump" and "judder", which looks more like what it is...

It was interesting to note that while I wasn't actively seeking to achive it, handlaying the track on the O scale version of "Chicago Fork" almost automatically gave such trackwork, and with the mass of an actual-2-kilo brass GP35 + decent truck springing, it did "wallow" in a far more proto-like manner than I expected...

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Actually Prof., I wasn't thinking of you for a change but another Aussie who had his layout build on the YMR site. Unfortunately I cannot remember his name...you're right though that the "wallow" and "sway" is the hardest to duplicate in a model.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

Somewhere on Youtube there is a model of - I think - an MEC branchline in winter, which has been modelled with a very good representation of the prototype branch's appalingly dreadfull trackage. and all the trees have no leaves - I had a quick hunt for it this morning, but couldn't find it

Edited by shortliner

Guest Natalie Graham

A few years ago there was an incident where a CN loco was run up the street of a town, without any track, just along the tarmac, in order to act as an emergency generator after the town's electricity supply was cut off by severe weather. It was reported in Canadian Railway Modeller with photos.

A few years ago there was an incident where a CN loco was run up the street of a town, without any track, just along the tarmac, in order to act as an emergency generator after the town's electricity supply was cut off by severe weather. It was reported in Canadian Railway Modeller with photos.

It was in the west end of Montreal after the 1998 ice storm that wiped out power to most of eastern Ontario and western Quebec. The locomotives were intentionally derailed, driven up the streets in two communities, and used as an emergency power supplies.

http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/mlw/img_3502.jpg

Edited by sjgardiner

The bigger problem is that the HO locos and cars do not have the mass, and the springing to "wallow" and "sway" when they tip L<>R, rather they "jump" and "judder", which looks more like what it is...

Does this not start to get into the idea of 'scale time'? If time was running at the same scale as the physical dimensions are scaled (a concept I have real problems getting my head round!), would the movements not be appropriately scaled? Do they not look 'jerky' because we're seeing scale movements in real time? I'm just trying to explain what we see - I have absolutely no idea how to make it more realistic.

• RMweb Gold

Does this not start to get into the idea of 'scale time'? If time was running at the same scale as the physical dimensions are scaled (a concept I have real problems getting my head round!), would the movements not be appropriately scaled? Do they not look 'jerky' because we're seeing scale movements in real time? I'm just trying to explain what we see - I have absolutely no idea how to make it more realistic.

It is not that simple. To us a model looks like a big one further away so real time looks natural. The real problem is that things like inertia do not scale. Things like chains swing too fast because they are shorter. Forget trying to scale time it still wont look right unless to can scale your senses. If it bugs you move up to 0 scale or Gauge 1 where the models seem to have more sense of mass in their movements.

I am not sure if Marion would let me park one of those on the drive.

Don

do you think this is what he's trying to create

Ray

I would just LOVE to make a layout with track like that...!!

I did make some fairly rough hand-spiked track (as per The Prof's methods) for my O scale layout Schiller Point, and the mass of the locos does really help.... this picture was taken whilst under construction; Code 100 rail on balsa ties;

f8ebbc29.jpg

More recently I've been experimenting with doing rough track in HO;

a2fa8ac2.jpg

Not only hard to photograph, it's not so easy with flexitrack, and I've also realised that the best way to see the swaying etc is from almost head-on.... a bit difficult on my round-the-walls loft layout - the camera angle above is somewhere I just can't get my Mk1 eyeball to sit!!

The action needs to be more exagerated to be noticeable from a side-on view, but exagerate it too much and R-T-R locos (especially SDs with 3-axle trucks) will derail, since they lack the suspension the real things have. Four-axle locos are more tolerant of bad track.

Edited by F-UnitMad