Chris' painting and weathering projects

Some 7mm Narrow gauge stuff. I've been modelling for ages now, and I'm quite happy with how most of it is turning out. This is the latest item off my 'weathering workbench' using a few new ideas I've found on the interweb.

DSC_0521_zps1ae5bc21.jpg

DSC_0524_zpsb2ed2463.jpg

Any thoughts?

Chris

Edited by Chris_C
  • Like 10

Thanks! It's a variety of techniques, including a variation of the hairspray technique, dry brushing, washes and pigments. I use products from AK Interactive (who I have only recently come across, but their products are sublime), and MIG, amongst the general paint manufacturers. I'm pleased you think it looks alright!

Chris

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Terrific Chris, some highly effective weathering there.  

When the reaction is "That looks real" rather than "That's well weathered", then you have clearly got it right.

All the best,

Dave..

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. I'm really pleased with how the Hudswell came out. I do like to make weathering jobs as realistic as possible! Airbrushing 2 colours over everything doesn't really work for me...

The rust is done using MIG 'Worn Effects'. One colour is painted, coated in 'worn effects' then a second colour painted over the top. Very similar to the hairspray technique, but o chance of hairspray leaving any surface texture. The top coat of paint is then scratched away with a pin. In many cases that would be enough. In this case, the whole surface was brushed with AK Interactive rust pigments, which settled nicely in the very fine relief of the scratches. The effect works really well.  I'm pleased other people agree!

Chris

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks chaps. I'm really pleased with how the Hudswell came out. I do like to make weathering jobs as realistic as possible! Airbrushing 2 colours over everything doesn't really work for me...

The rust is done using MIG 'Worn Effects'. One colour is painted, coated in 'worn effects' then a second colour painted over the top. Very similar to the hairspray technique, but o chance of hairspray leaving any surface texture. The top coat of paint is then scratched away with a pin. In many cases that would be enough. In this case, the whole surface was brushed with AK Interactive rust pigments, which settled nicely in the very fine relief of the scratches. The effect works really well.  I'm pleased other people agree!

Chris

I've found this range of products to be by far the best with which to achieve the excellent affects you've produced, and with some care and time it's possible to get there. The range may not be labeled for use railway modellers but with a little judicial choosing they can work extremely well.

Excellent use and beautiful models.

Thanks for the kind words chaps. There are effects on the Fowler that can't be seen in the pictures, and can only be seen at certain angles  'in the flesh'. More to come soon hopefully.

bgman - An awful lot of military modelling stuff is useful for railway modellers too. Alot of railway modellers stick to the known and trusted Humbrol etc ranges, but I've found tat a little searching brings up some wonders. The AK interactive products, I've found are second to none. Same with the MIG products. A lot of their ranges cross over, but the 'oil and grease stains' produced by MIG doesn't have the same finish as the similar product from AKI. It takes trial and error to get good results!

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

Like a number of other posters I'm very impressed with the results you've achieved - particularly on the Ixion locos.

Having never used AK Interactive products can you give some idea of the methods used?

In particular is it largely brushed finishes, washes or fine powders - or a mix - and from your comments do you use an air brush at all?

Regards Terry

Hi Terry, thanks for the comment. The basic tones are the basic humbrol colours, gunmetal, leather and tarmac, applied very lightly with an airbrush. Areas that are to be 'cleaned' are given a wipe with a cotton bud/tissue paper ever so slightly damp with white spirit Everything applied on top of that is brushed using a nice soft brush, or a stiffer brush if a harsher finish is required.  Then powders and dry brushing can be used to blend everything together and bring out detail, as well as add a little texture where it is needed. 

This photo shows the products I used to both paint and weather the yellow diesel seen in the foreground. Every single one was used.

paints_zps9955dd5e.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Very nice work Chris.

I am a fan of AKI products, they use really fine pigment, been using them for a while now.

If you are on Facebook worth checking out their feed, they have some knockout painting and weathering samples that get posted up.

Thoroughly recommend their modelling magazines, especially the digital versions which are cheaper and you can zoom right in on the detail. They give step by step how tos from some of the World's best modellers.

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Terrific Chris, some highly effective weathering there.  

When the reaction is "That looks real" rather than "That's well weathered", then you have clearly got it right.

All the best,

Dave..

I couldn't have put it better - this is superb work.  I agree with the comments about looking at the materials the military and aviation modelers use.  For those who haven't yet seen it, the Britmodeller forums ( http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/ ) are well worth looking at.

Ralph

• 4 weeks later...