G6 Loco

Ian G

I am building a 7mm G6 loco from Connoisser models, few items are supplied to fit out the footplate area with large amounts of open space to be filled.

Could someone point me in the right direction for photos please.

Regards

Ian G

Ian,

My two standard references are Don Bradley's LSWR Locomotives, The Adams Classes (Wild Swan) and the Bradford Barton Southern Steam Locomotive Survey, The Adams Classes.  Neither show cab detail, but the G6 cab details would have been similar to the O2 class, with one preserved on the Isle of Wight.  Also have a look at Laurie Griffin's catalogue.

Bill 

As  stated  above  the  G6  would  have  a  very  similar  cab  to  an  O2,  plenty  of  pictures  availble  on  the  internet  for  this,  Google  "Calbourne"  for  the  preserved  example.

The  bolier (hence  backhead)  is  identical.  Handbrake  and  reversing  levers  similar

Differences  to  watch  are:

G6  has  a  higher  cab  roof,  as  did  the  last  batch  of  O2's,  not  however  "Calbourne".

"Calbourne"  is  air  fitted,  the  G6  would  not  have  the  air  brake  drivers  valve  but  would  have  a  vacum  ejector  in  the  R/H  corner of  the  cab.  Also  no  auxillary  air  resorvoir  under  the  roof  at  the  rear  R/H  side.

The  G6  cab  is  slightly  shorter  at  the  back,  probably   has  a  straight  rear  bulkhead  rather  than  stepped  over  the  coal  space  as  the  O2.

Pete

Thank you Paul

I have managed to fit the brake gear tonight after a spot of swearing its all fine, the wheels are slaters, as this is my 1st steam loco its a big learning curve for me, as I am used to building diesels.

Ian G

Paul

I have 3/16 & 1/8 reamers amongst others, the chassis was built in a hobby holidays jig just to make sure or hope it's square, I test fitted the wheels Friday and checked for squareness before soldering the brake gear together,

I always like a challenge but wanted to build this one loco out of the box, if I am still not happy with the run of the chassis I will either strip it down and fit horn blocks Iraq ask connoisseur for a replacement etch.

One thing I an very thankful for is all the advice and information from everyone,

I have a beattie to build with loads of shedmaster castings but they are having trouble getting the slide bar arrangements the right tolerance so I may have to scratch build that as I don't like white metal moving parts.

Regards

Ian

My build thread is here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/1961-ian-gs-work-bench/page-5&do=findComment&comment=960169.

Most of my tools I have picked up over 30 years as my dad is an toolmaker, so all the little drills/reamers i have borrowed over the years and yet to return make a up a good set, broaches small and large I have the best set coming fro a jewelers supplier in Edinburgh 20 odd years ago and have lasted longer than the trade stand ones.

Ian G

Archived