Network Rail coaches and others

Hi people,

I thought it was about time I started a thread for my (nowhere near professional looking) Network Rail conversions, after seeing Newbryford's Yellow Workbench thread and Pete Harvey's one-off etchings I have been inspired to have a go at a few coaches myself. These won't be anywhere near the standard that Newbryford and Pete Harvey have produced but I'm quite pleased with them for a start, hopefully my skills will improve and I will be confident enough to have a hack at a Bachmann coach for another go at the Mentor.

I'll start the ball rolling with my take on the  NR Support coach 80211, which is still in progress, it started life as a Triang BSK so with some window filling, sanding, and painting, and transfer application it's nearing completion.

Next up is my first ever conversion, so this has had all the bad mistakes, paint strips and all sorts done and taken off, one conversion I will definetly be doing with a Bachmann coaches next. It's NR Mentor 975091. I hope to take a lot of the things I learned from this conversion to do my next Mentor.

Comments always welcome

Cheers, James

• RMweb Premium

I think they could look good on Shalmstry, although I can guarantee I will end up with too many! Since I plan to have a go at the Structure Gauging train at some point.

James

Crack on! Just don't use a VDA chassis.

Good to see others having a go at yellow stuff

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers Mick! Do you use all Bachmann coaches for your conversions? I'm sure that the higher quality coach will make a higher quality conversion. I currently have two Mk2 Lima coaches on the way turn into 99666 and 977986, will get some pictures when the converting starts!

James

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mick! Do you use all Bachmann coaches for your conversions? I'm sure that the higher quality coach will make a higher quality conversion. I currently have two Mk2 Lima coaches on the way turn into 99666 and 977986, will get some pictures when the converting starts!

James

If I'm doing aircon Mk2's, I tend to use the Airix/Dapol/Hornby Mk2d as a base and chop them to suit. I have used Lima 2f's as well - 977997 for example.

Mk1 conversions are usually Bachmann as the method of construction lends itself to cut n shut. If I just need a shell with a brass overlay, then Replica mk1's do the trick.

HTH,

Mick

My theory was that the ones with heavy modifications that are mk2 I could use cheaper Lima ones, but mk1 I will invest in Bachmann ones, especially if I try some of the generator coaches or another version of 975091..

James

I received my two Lima Mk2 FO's on Monday, and have spent the last few days converting one of them to Brake Force Runner 99666, and below are the photos of the result. I really am pleased with this conversion, it has come up really smooth and as with the real 99666 you can just see where the windows used to be.

post-12931-0-69091200-1365596375_thumb.jpg

The other coach I plan to make into 1256, one of the new coaches in the Radio Survey train, which is (as far as I know) the only Network Rail coach that started like as a FO.

Cheers, James

• RMweb Premium

The other coach I plan to make into 1256, one of the new coaches in the Radio Survey train, which is (as far as I know) the only Network Rail coach that started like as a FO.

977986 was a FO, although not easy to tell now.

977983 is another former  FO - now the EMV - Electrification Measurement vehicle. It didn't originally have the roof cutout.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers Mick

Planning to have a go at the SGT at some point, seen it a couple of times and it's a good one for almost any modern image layout. I believe it's made up of 9708, DC460000, 975081, 975280, 99666 and 31285? Correct me if I'm wrong, just to get tranfers, coaches and probably more white primer!

James

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Mick

Planning to have a go at the SGT at some point, seen it a couple of times and it's a good one for almost any modern image layout. I believe it's made up of 9708, DC460000, 975081, 975280, 99666 and 31285? Correct me if I'm wrong, just to get tranfers, coaches and probably more white primer!

James

Since it was reformed in 2009 with RTOV 9708, that's pretty much the formation, although 977986 was originally used and then replaced with 99666. Not that you can easily tell! Other 31's have been used, such as 31105 and 31233.

With SGT2 coming into use, I wonder how long 460000 (and 975081/280) will remain in operation for?

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 months later...

Archived