New industrial loco and industrial railway books

I agree Dave, it's a wonderful book and one I dip in and out of for the colourful stories from the men who were there and did it! David L Smith wrote more books including Tales of the Glasgow and South Western, which is also full of excellent tales.

I agree Dave, it's a wonderful book and one I dip in and out of for the colourful stories from the men who were there and did it! David L Smith wrote more books including Tales of the Glasgow and South Western, which is also full of excellent tales.

I knew David Smith, a charming gentle man, who was a sickly child and not expected to live but lasted well into his eighties. He wrote 5 books on railways and numerous articles and it was his ‘Tales of the G&SWR’ which inspired me to model that railway since expanded to include the Dalmellington Iron Co locos. You can still pick up his books on the 2nd hand market and well worth the effort.

Ian.

post-6089-0-26914000-1544027905_thumb.jpegpost-6089-0-36610800-1544028840_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Industrial railways and locomotives of Yorkshire got published in October this year. I make that number 7 from Gordon Edgar in this series.

If it is as good as his others it will be well worth having. My copy is wrapped up as a Christmas present so I havent seen it yet.

Also recently published is Industrial Railway Locomotive Sheds a third selection by Adrian Booth through the Industrial Railway Society. Same as the above, the previous 2 books have been good, but my copy of this latest one is wrapped until Christmas so I cant comment on it.

Owen

• Like 1