Carriage photos

PGC

So that I can detail my models, I've been trying to find photos of LNER twin articulated third coaches to Diagram 105/106. Ideally I'd like photos in BR times but I need to know details of the under frame and small details like door handles, roof vents etc. which won't change dramatically over the years, so the period of photos isn't too much of an issue..

I already have the Michael Harris books LNER carriages and Gresleys coaches, but apart from these books and Google, I don't know where else to look for photos of these coaches.

Any suggestions of sources of photos of these coaches would be really appreciated - thanks in advance for your help.

Phil

Hi Steve

Thanks for this - I already have the drawing, but it's really photos I'm after as there are variations such as turnbuckle or steel channel underframe and a photo will help solve these conundrums.

Phil

Hi Phil

Historic Carriage Drawings - Volume 1 - LNER and Constituents, Campling, Pendragon, ISBN 1-899816-04-6

This has photographs and drawings of composite/third brake, third/composite and first/third. The drawings show turnbuckle underframes. Angle underframes were used on more recent builds - I think there is some information and certainly running numbers in the Michael Harris book.

You will find some useful information on the Kemilway website - their generic instructions can be downloaded and contain many detailed drawings relating to Gresley coaches.

http://www.kemilway.com/kemilway-manual.html

Masterclass models has information on their website at:

http://www.masterclass-models.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/lner_suburban_diagrams.pdf

Regards.

The other Michael Harris book - LNER Standard Gresley Coaches - contains drawings and a photograph of a 105/106 pair.  It will also give you guidance on when things like turnbuckle underframes changed to angle.   In this case I'd guess that only the single pair built in 1940 as a replacement for a destroyed pair would have had angle trussing.  All the others were built too early.

Thanks to 66C and jweallens for the offered information - it looks like I'll be spending more money on books. The part of that I enjoy most is hearing the bank manager squeal when I get the card out!!!

Thanks also to industrial - you're working on exactly the same premise as I am (something about "great minds think alike" springs to mind).

Phil

The other Michael Harris book - LNER Standard Gresley Coaches - contains drawings and a photograph of a 105/106 pair.  It will also give you guidance on when things like turnbuckle underframes changed to angle.   In this case I'd guess that only the single pair built in 1940 as a replacement for a destroyed pair would have had angle trussing.  All the others were built too early.

From the Masterclass website:

"LNER non-corridor stock historical notes and diagram list

Until 1935 a truss rod underframe was used, and after that an angle truss underframe. As can be seen below that meant that for the non-articulated teak stock the truss rod

variety was far more prevalent. One point I have not managed to clarify is which underframe was used on stock built in 1935 or after to previous diagrams. For articulated

stock the reverse was true, as being mostly built in the mid 1930s angle truss underframes were more common. On steel panelled stock angle truss underframes were

universal."

I hope this helps to clarify the situation with regard to underframe types.

Regards.

Thanks for this - I already have the drawing, but it's really photos I'm after as there are variations such as turnbuckle or steel channel underframe and a photo will help solve these conundrums.

All the twins with separate diagram numbers were on turnbuckle underframes. Later twins had a single diagram number for the pair.

Archived