Sunderland Station Signal Box

Jamiel

(Sorry I have posted this in the wrong place, I think it should be questions, not discussions, Moderators, please delete or move this if possible - very sorry)
EDIT - Many thanks to the moderators for moving this topic.

Hi

I would be very grateful if anyone could point me towards photos, or information on a signal box that fits what I am trying to model. I presume it will be a North Eastern Railway standard box, but not that many seem to have a hipped roof, as opposed the more common double pitched roof.

SundalandStn.jpeg

I am basing the signal box at the other end of the station on the one at Castleford Gates, and the one at this end of the station on the one at Castleford Station, however my layout is a valley station like Sunderland (at this end anyway), and the signal box is to be positioned in exactly the same way as the Sunderland one, between the tracks, at the end ofnthe station, and just beyond a bridge. I do want a hipped roof to match the other box.

518794_04c0f9c8.jpg

Here is a photo of the signal box at the other end of the station which I will copy from Castleford Gates.

372643_70c715f7.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Jamie

The NER had three signalling divisions (Southern, Central and Northern) which had distinctively different design lineages, and within these further considerable differences could be found. Castleford was in the Southern Division whereas Sunderland was in the Northern Division, so the Castleford designs are inappropriate for your purposes if you want to be accurate. There are drawings photos and information in the NER Association's book North Eastern Record Volume 1 which may help you decide on a suitable type.

Simon

Thanks Simon

I did find another signal box, just a few miles away from Castleford that is very similar and might fit the design in many ways, Sherburn North.

I think that past of the question I have is 'how much did the windows section of each box vary depending on the location?'.

I could use a base and roof like the Sherburn one,move the step so they are more central like the Sunderland one. The question then would be how much would the windows wrap around the back, if there were tracks either side of the box?

Sherburn_North_s.jpg

Jamie, where abouts is your layout set?

Even within the individual divisions there were differences - for example the Hull area has boxes which have differences from those in the York area when the NER moved to cabins with wooden 'tops'. Differences with the window layouts and variations between types of looking room windows depending on just when the box was commissioned.

Knowing just where it is would give a selection of boxes in the area and there's no reason why elements of different boxes can't be combined and amended to fit your exact location - after all, that's what the railways did!

Thanks James

My layout is a fictional location, but is based broadly around South Yorkshire, North Midlands, in the early 60's.

It is at a junction with the Eastern Region to the North, and the Midland to the South, which like Wakefield for instance is mostly LMS/Midland heritage, but can have LNER/Eastern services, particularly expresses running through.

In short a bit of a mongrel, especially as I have modeled a water tower/coaler from East Ham/Plaistow (Midland still), and the goods building at the end of platform 1 is based on one that used to stand on Birmingham New Street (another urban valley station).

The main signal box will be a copy of the Castleford Gates box, which I think is such a lovely building (listed, although not in a great state now), so I wanted the one at the other end to match that.

I have a thread for it at: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby/

Jamie

Looking at the photos of the smaller signal boxes at the end of station platforms, one thing that appears to be missing is the little outside toilet that is tucked away under the stairs of the bigger box by Castleford Gates.

Were signalmen expected to use the facilities for staff on the station?

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what were the rules for covering when someone went to the toilet? The little minutiae of the daily workings of the railway system are always interest me, and also inform how the model should be made.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know what were the rules for covering when someone went to the toilet? The little minutiae of the daily workings of the railway system are always interest me, and also inform how the model should be made.

A signal box on the Wirral earned the name Senapod Junction due to the signalmans habit of going to the loo in the peak. (It's actual name was Seacombe Junction)

If the signalmen could manage in the days when traffic was heavy, I'm sure it's easy weasy these days.

If the signalmen could manage in the days when traffic was heavy, I'm sure it's easy weasy these days.

"These days"?!?!

There are days when I've gone a couple of hours without stopping and there's not been time to go! One day there'd been a fatality nearby and when things started moving again it was manic. The only way in the end I had to make a break for myself was to delay knocking out to give myself a minute!

Thanks James

I guess this is one of the problems of modelling a fictitious location, you can't just go and find a photo to prove one way or another.

Given that the box is the other side of the bridge from the platform situated between the same two tracks as the box, and that to get to the staff area on the platform across from it would cross the main line, and also that there is space next to the box between the tracks, then it would make sense to put in a toilet building, and if it is out of use due to one in the box, it hasn't been demolished yet.

Thanks for the replies, I probably have enough to work out the design for the box from the answers in this thread, and can't really afford the NER Record book (vol1) right now, it wasn't cheap the copies I found on the net.

I will post a plan when I have drawn one up (in Photoshop). Still working on my good warehouse for this section of the layout at the moment.

Jamie

As promised here is a initial front view of the signal box I am planning. It is a cross between the Castleford gates and Sherburn boxes.

Planned using a Churchward etch of NER signal box windows. I will post the other view as I draw them up.

SignalBox2a.jpg

Here is a link to the thread for the layout, this box will be the one at the North end, near the double tunnel entrance, and will sit between the goods lines and the passenger lines. It will have a toilet next to it as well, so the signalmen don't have to cross their legs for too long.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby/

Any comments most welcome, and thanks again for the replies so far.

Jamie

An updated plan of the North Signal Box at 50% scale (on the original JPEG). The lower floor windows have been centered better, and some alterations to the windows.

BoxPlan1.jpg

Here is a current plan of the layout to show where the box will be situated, just north of the road bridge, with the steps facing the tunnel mouths.

PlanJun13.jpg

Ant feedback would be appreciated, I am also posting this on the layout thread in layout topics.

Thanks for the replies.

Jamie

Archived