Tonbridge MRC exhibition 15th February 2014

ColinW

• RMweb Gold

I'll be the one on the German Railway Society stand (situated on the alleyway on the way to the loos) in the orange shirt.

Pity Simon Kohler won't be there today...he does so like my brightly coloured shirts... :boast:  :jester: .....

Keith

09:50 Dep. Cancelled Ramsgate  spacer.gif10:02 Dep. Cancelled Sandwich  spacer.gif10:08 Dep. Cancelled Deal  spacer.gif10:11 Dep. Cancelled Walmer  spacer.gif10:16 Dep. Cancelled Martin Mill  spacer.gif10:25 Dep. Cancelled Dover Priory  spacer.gif10:35 Dep. Cancelled Folkestone Central  spacer.gif10:38 Dep. Cancelled Folkestone West  spacer.gif10:43 Dep. Cancelled Sandling  spacer.gif10:46 Dep. Cancelled Westenhanger  spacer.gif10:55 Dep. Cancelled Ashford International  spacer.gif11:09 Dep. Cancelled Pluckley  spacer.gif11:16 Dep. Cancelled Headcorn  spacer.gif11:20 Dep. Cancelled Staplehurst  spacer.gif11:25 Dep. Cancelled Marden  spacer.gif11:31 Dep. Cancelled Paddock Wood  spacer.gif11:39 Dep. Cancelled Tonbridge 

Yeah..!!!!

spacer.gif10:50 Dep. On Time Ramsgate  spacer.gif11:02 Arr. On Time Sandwich  spacer.gif11:08 Arr. On Time Deal  spacer.gif11:11 Arr. On Time Walmer  spacer.gif11:16 Arr. On Time Martin Mill  spacer.gif11:25 Dep. On Time Dover Priory  spacer.gif11:35 Arr. On Time Folkestone Central  spacer.gif11:38 Arr. On Time Folkestone West  spacer.gif11:43 Arr. On Time Sandling  spacer.gif11:46 Arr. On Time Westenhanger  spacer.gif11:55 Arr. On Time Ashford International  spacer.gif12:09 Arr. On Time Pluckley  spacer.gif12:16 Arr. On Time Headcorn  spacer.gif12:20 Arr. On Time Staplehurst  spacer.gif12:25 Arr. On Time Marden  spacer.gif12:31 Arr. On Time Paddock Wood  spacer.gif12:39 Arr. On Time Tonbridge 

Enjoyed the show but sadly did not enjoy the ignorant people who feel it's perfectly ok to barge through or nudge into you in the hope you'll give up some of your space so they can poke their camera in your face to get their shot of the layout - without an 'excuse me' or 'sorry'.

I know this isn't the fault of the show or the organisers but it really does annoy me when people are rude like this - and it happens at so many model shows.

The club would like to thank the exhibitors, traders and members of the public that helped to make yesterday's show a reasonable success, considering the weather and travel problems that has been happening in the past week.  Unfortunately we did continue to have problems with stands pulling out at the last minute, notably Hobbs Warren, who having driven from Cambridge, did not like where he had been placed and decided to go home without giving us a chance to offer assistance to bring the layout in and take it to its spot, or to even see if the floor plan could have been changed to accommodate him (and that was changing a lot on Friday evening & Saturday morning!!)  It was also good to meet several RM Webbers at the show yesterday & to get some good feedback on the show from them.

Colin

notably Hobbs Warren, who having driven from Cambridge, did not like where he had been placed and decided to go home without giving us a chance to offer assistance to bring the layout in and take it to its spot, or to even see if the floor plan could have been changed to accommodate him (and that was changing a lot on Friday evening & Saturday morning!!) 

Having organised an exhibition myself for a number of years (although smaller than yours) I know the nightmare of last minute changes and drop-outs ... but for an exhibiter to go home "because he didn't like his spot" and not even consider any alternatives (there must have been a space downstairs given a couple of other drop-outs) and at just over 7ft let's face it it's not a big layout is it?  I hope he didn't try to claim expenses for letting you down like that...

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to the exhibition organisers for allowing to come and "play trains" with Bad Aston. Was a very enjoyable, if tiring day. Hope to see you all again at a future show.

Having organised an exhibition myself for a number of years (although smaller than yours) I know the nightmare of last minute changes and drop-outs ... but for an exhibiter to go home "because he didn't like his spot" and not even consider any alternatives (there must have been a space downstairs given a couple of other drop-outs) and at just over 7ft let's face it it's not a big layout is it?  I hope he didn't try to claim expenses for letting you down like that...

Wouldn't like to think what would have been said if expenses had been claimed for.  Yes there was space available in the main sports hall, especially as Wessex Wagons had to withdraw because of the weather conditions and he has about an 8'-10' footprint for his stand normally.

Colin

Many thanks to the exhibition organisers for allowing to come and "play trains" with Bad Aston. Was a very enjoyable, if tiring day. Hope to see you all again at a future show.

Chris,

Thank you for bringing BAd Aston yesterday, sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you and have a chat.  Glad you enjoyed the day.

Colin

I visited yesterday. What a brilliant show with lots of top quality layouts. It Has inspired me to get on with my planed layout.

Thanks to all the orgainzers

Martin

Martin, thank you for the comments, and glad that you enjoyed the show.  We view the idea of the show as something to encourage and nurture the hobby, and we are grateful to the layout owners for being willing to travel to us to display their layouts.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Despite the travel woes for some of the punters there seemed to be a fair few folks about. Driving up through the M3 and M25 traffic on Friday evening was fun, NOT! Over three hours to do a journey that Google suggested would take an hour and thirtyfive minutes. Still managed to get Waton assembled with time for a few beers and a bite to eat so not too bad.

Waton presented a few challenges at the start of the day as a microswitch controlling the polarity of a frog decided to come apart. None of the traders had a suitable replacement so we had to do a bit of jury rigging but from then on in things settled down and we had a good day.

Thanks to the organisers for a well run show despite one or two challenges not of their own making. Better rouse myself and get down to the shed and replace that broken switch.

Cheers

Dave

Despite the travel woes for some of the punters there seemed to be a fair few folks about. Driving up through the M3 and M25 traffic on Friday evening was fun, NOT! Over three hours to do a journey that Google suggested would take an hour and thirtyfive minutes. Still managed to get Waton assembled with time for a few beers and a bite to eat so not too bad.

Waton presented a few challenges at the start of the day as a microswitch controlling the polarity of a frog decided to come apart. None of the traders had a suitable replacement so we had to do a bit of jury rigging but from then on in things settled down and we had a good day.

Thanks to the organisers for a well run show despite one or two challenges not of their own making. Better rouse myself and get down to the shed and replace that broken switch.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you for bringing Waton Dave, it was good to have a brief chat with you in the afternoon.  Hopefully the journey home was much better for you.

Colin

Thank you for bringing Waton Dave, it was good to have a brief chat with you in the afternoon.  Hopefully the journey home was much better for you.

Colin

I enjoyed looking at Waton from a short distance, the crowd was always too deep and the operators busy operating so no real opportunity for a chat.  It's another of these layouts that makes me want to reconsider my jump into O gauge but having experienced the benefits of DCC and with most of my stock being old Poole Farish, the conversion would be too much hassle - and the expense of replacing stuff to get real length trains too much at the present time.

But who knows.  Maybe my next layout will be N again.  It's the "trains in the landscape" rather than "a bit of scenery beyond the fence" that does it for me - although the extra detail and presence of O gauge balances that out. Also having enjoyed DCC sound I'm not sure N gauge really pulls off sound properly.

A big thanks to all at Tonbridge for their help. Like Eldavo, terrible journey up from Hampshire on Friday night but reasonable going home. HOLM behaved reasonably well except when someone tried to video it and everything went wrong!!!

Chris

To: Roy,,, Colin and everyone at Tonbridge Model Railway Club.

Salmon Pastures is now back in it's garage after a most pleasant journey back,,, bathed in sunshine and no traffic,,,, a massive change from Friday!!!!

We thoroughly enjoyed the show,,, the layout behaved itself and we got some lovely comments. What more could you want.

Can I also say we found the chairman taking the time to wander round and thank exhibitors for attending a particularly pleasant piece of old school charm,, a nice touch.

For me the young chap who made tea all day in the bunker also deserves a special mention!!!.

Wonderful show,,,great fun for us and we just hope you made a profit

Sincere thanks,

SAD & Alan & Salmon Pastures.

Colin,

Thanks for a good show, managed to get a quick look round when I sneaked away from operating Trezeath.

Thank you for making space for the AIMREC stand and right next to the layout, perfect.

Cliff was busy all day chatting about the project, ran out of leaflets early afternoon the response was so good!

Martin

Unfortunately the Severn Valley Railway stand has had to withdraw, because Roger Hart, who runs the stand with his wife, Has suffered a stroke.  The club would like to wish Roger a full and speedy recovery from this.

Colin

All my regards to Roger & Jean. I see them just about everywhere, and usually have a good chat to them. I do hope he is up and about soon.

No I did not claim any expenses for Hobbs Warren.

Space required 10 x 7 and not in any circumstances upstairs. This was made clear from the outset and was obviously totally ignored. I severely injured my back in the 2011 season lugging the layout ( built like brick whatsit) and 40 plus 0 gauge loco's up stairs (The are damned heavy) which caused me to have to let other exhibitions down. I have never had such excruciating pain and it is not going to happen again. The injury occurred partly because we were offered help to carry it, come home time no one to be seen despite a number of requests. No I did not wait to see if arrangements could be made because I do not find my conditions for attending with the layout being totally ignored funny or forgivable.

I have been on the exhibition circuit including exhibition manager for more than 30 years and have noticed a growing tendency to disbelieve the info given ie 10 x 7 operating space (but the layout is only 7' 6) so the space is cut down, or there is a pillar in it. I ask for that space because we need it for stock tables and operating space. 

Terry Cooke

HOBBS WARREN

With all respect, looking at the pictures on your website of the layout set up, it doesn't look entirely the most practical for exhibiting. 

When I was an exhibition manager, I tended to not book layouts that came with "conditions attached" - however reasonable or unreasonable, unless they were clearly tongue in cheek such as "plenty of tea required".

Obviously this is really between you and the club but as an O gauge modeller it was one of the layouts I was looking forward to seeing although I think I have seen it before somewhere - possibly Kettering last year?

With all respect, looking at the pictures on your website of the layout set up, it doesn't look entirely the most practical for exhibiting. 

When I was an exhibition manager, I tended to not book layouts that came with "conditions attached" - however reasonable or unreasonable, unless they were clearly tongue in cheek such as "plenty of tea required".

Obviously this is really between you and the club but as an O gauge modeller it was one of the layouts I was looking forward to seeing although I think I have seen it before somewhere - possibly Kettering last year?

Yes you did see it at Kettering, I have no problems with people not booking the layout because of the conditions I set. If it is booked however I take this as an acceptance of our/my conditions. I/we fall over backwards to help by supplying our own stock tables and self insuring for the small shows to help with their insurance costs. The layout is built in the old style and thus survives movement to and from exhibitions I do not think it is too much to ask that it be on the ground floor and has the required space. If you come to Eastleigh make yourself known, we have corresponded before over lighting on Heljan locos

Terry

Archived