LMS Cream Van in BR Blue

Etched Pixels

Does anyone know of any photos that are not distant shots of these vehicles in BR blue. I've built it, painted it and now realise I've got no idea where the numbers went, if it carried Parcels branding or any arrows of confusion !

The photo of it in service doesn't really clarify much - other than the fact I've got the roof too dark 8(. It seems to have stuff one end but also in the centre low down and I've yet to find a view of the other side in blue at all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tcs-pics/5839396777/

which itself is a parcels game of 'name the coach'

Alan

Assuming it is the same vehicle type (ie not getting mixed up with sausage vans)- the flickr photo suggests it could be- there are two side-on views (one of each side) of one of the rail blue vehicles in David Larkin's "General Parcels Rolling Stock" which was a Bradford and Barton paperback. From what I can remember of the pics (I don't have access to them atm) there was no bodyside lettering/branding or double arrows and that the number was in the usual blue position (at the right hand side of the body) but formed of the early small style . I can't remember whether an 'M' suffix was carried or not. Next time I go to my house I shall phot the phots for you if of any help. Don't think any of the LMS coaches trilogy has shots of these in blue. Sorry I can't help anymore

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nat and Alan

I happen to have the Larkin book on my desk. The photos are of M38998, no M suffix in unlined maroon livery. The text mentions it did get repainted blue.

As for the rest of the train, I make it GWR Collet BG (dia?)/Fruit D/Thompson 6 wheeled B/BR CCT/SR PMV or CCT/BR CCT/LMS CCT/LMS Cream van/LMS GUV/BR GUV/SR CCT or PMV/BR GUV/LMS Stove R/ BR CCT/BR BG

Assuming it is the same vehicle type (ie not getting mixed up with sausage vans)- the flickr photo suggests it could be- there are two side-on views (one of each side) of one of the rail blue vehicles in David Larkin's "General Parcels Rolling Stock" which was a Bradford and Barton paperback. From what I can remember of the pics (I don't have access to them atm) there was no bodyside lettering/branding or double arrows and that the number was in the usual blue position (at the right hand side of the body) but formed of the early small style . I can't remember whether an 'M' suffix was carried or not. Next time I go to my house I shall phot the phots for you if of any help. Don't think any of the LMS coaches trilogy has shots of these in blue. Sorry I can't help anymore

Thanks a lot - I was doubtful there were any images.

There were some similar corridor sausage vans (going to make that variant later but in Palethorpes livery to complete the full set of LMS Palethorpes vans) as well as the bogie non-corridor, six and four wheelers (all of which I've made).

Alan

Hi Nat and Alan

I happen to have the Larkin book on my desk. The photos are of M38998, no M suffix in unlined maroon livery. The text mentions it did get repainted blue.

Thanks - I've found a few photos of maroon but only that one of the blue.

Alan

Hi Clive

Hi Nat and Alan

As for the rest of the train, I make it GWR Collet BG (dia?)/Fruit D/Thompson 6 wheeled B/BR CCT/SR PMV or CCT/BR CCT/LMS CCT/LMS Cream van/LMS GUV/BR GUV/SR CCT or PMV/BR GUV/LMS Stove R/ BR CCT/BR BG

I did say I wasn't sure but then I am sure that I have seen a photo of one of those LMS types that had full windows on one side in blue. Maybe it is one of the sausage vans I saw. I shall cling onto that possibility but would remind everybody that my psychiatrist (of two different types) and psychologist all claim that I have altered/distorted views of things- as well as being mad. It seems they maybe right..  :O

The search goes on!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

To be honest EP, I wouldn't get too excited about the Larkin book, as the pics are obviously in B&W and the difference between the maroon and blue one ain't that great, and they are both taken from the end furthest away from number/letter panels.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I have the David Larkin book at home and I am certain that it has two photos of the cream van:: one in crimson and the second in BR blue.

It does indeed, showing the non-corridor side in blue in 1969 and the corridor side in unlined maroon in 1963 and notes it was still in service in '71.

In the later photo the solebar appears to be blue, handbrake wheel white.  The only lettering seems to be the number, about 1/4 of the way up the body side on the last panel at the right hand end of the vehicle, but there could be some load weight lettering below this, hard to say for certain.

Would make quite a nice scratchbuild job (in 4mm anyway), possible based around a Bachmann 50' BG underframe/bogies?

• RMweb Premium

I think LMS Standard Coaching Stock, Vol1 has a slightly better copy of the blue livery pic in the Larkin book (plate 178 I think).

Here are two pics of my attempt at modelling on of these vans, in 2 millimetre finescale.

post-12813-0-03103100-1374937681_thumb.jpg

post-12813-0-23852200-1374937701_thumb.jpg

Nigel

• 3 weeks later...

All sorted I think now with the references provided and an LMS journal (which is also means I've got the experimental milk six wheeler brewing for next 3D prints)

A lot more complicated than I anticipated getting all the variations of the body right, with the last of sausage vans being slightly different.

I've also been busy scanning out of copyright sausage adverts and producing a set of vinyls for both the corridor and non-corridor one in LMS form. I can do the later lettering but I'm still trying to find the right sausages for it (I hadn't realised how many bazillion different sausage logos Palethorpes had!)

Alan

Archived