BR Class 28 layout ideas

Guest nzflyer

Were the pair not in Caley blue when first preserved?

If so it indeed would be a primer. However the Ivatt 2MT (6441?) was in Crimson

Tony

No sorry, only one in Caley blue 42085, the second one (42073)  was in L.N.W.R. blackberry black.  It never got the "press" that the 'blue' one did. Maybe because it just looked like B.R. black?

6441 is still in Crimson Lake.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

OT, but just for the record - at Carnforth on September 2 1968, 42073 was in red primer, 6441 was in "LMS" colours, 44871 was inside the shed in 'undercoat' (colour not recorded) and 42085 was in dirty BR livery, still with the old (pre-1957) emblem.

• 5 years later...

I've managed to dig up the RM issues concerned.  There are two plans; one of Barrow and Grange-over-Sands and a second of Whitehaven Bransty and Corkickle.  Both are in the idiom of the early 1980s; that is, with quite a lot packed into the space and an emphasis on operation over exact scale reproduction.  No bad thing in my opinion, child of the Freezer generation that I am :D.

If you'd like, and if I can prise MissB off the scanner for five minutes, I'll shoot them over to you by PM.

Pat, ive just started building a layout based on the Whitehaven area but have never seen the article snd plan you refer to here. Is there any chance you could let me know which issue it was in?

Thanks

Neil

For 'wandering' Co-Bos, I have seen a photo of one heading towards Newcastle through East Boldon station on a rake of passenger stock. I wonder if this was a test train after remedial work at Metrovick's Bowesfield Works?

• RMweb Gold

I have seen a short video clip somewhere of a Co-Bo arriving at a depot in the Leeds area, most likely Holbeck, towing dead steam locos. Presumably, they all came from Carnforth via Skipton, although I cannot locate the dvd which features the clip at present.

Are you sure they weren't pushing it!! :no:  :no: :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Edited by ikks

I have seen a short video clip somewhere of a Co-Bo arriving at a depot in the Leeds area, most likely Holbeck, towing dead steam locos. Presumably, they all came from Carnforth via Skipton, although I cannot locate the dvd which features the clip at present.

If it's the clip I'm thinking of, I think it's *at* Carnforth. A line of withdrawn Black 5s being propelled by a Co-Bo (seen very briefly at the end of shot).

It's the closing scene from Paul Barnes' acclaimed 1968 documentary - "Black Five".

Edited by Holmesfeldian

If it's the clip I'm thinking of, I think it's *at* Carnforth. A line of withdrawn Black 5s being propelled by a Co-Bo (seen very briefly at the end of shot).

There's a picture taken by Derek Cross, with a caption written by his son David, of 75024 hauling dead D5715 and D5717 northwards north of Oxenholme on 12 June 1967. The caption says the diesels are condemned and on their way for scrapping. It would be a neat reversal of the situation you describe. But both are shown as allocated to Upperby in October 1967 in the appropriate Locoshed book, and the "BR database" site shows both withdrawn in 1968 and scrapped in different yards in different towns (countries, even!).

Over the years Railway Modeller has had a couple of Plans of the Month based on the area around Barrow.  They've looked quite interesting from both a scenic and an operational point of view.

I believe one member of the class made its way onto an island just off Barrow, where it could be seen alongside a vareiety of other locos, including an ex-LBSC E2, an ex-LNER A3, a GWR Pannier and 14XX, twoo 'Port of Par' style saddle tanks and a Hymek ;-)