BR Class 28 layout ideas

Guest nzflyer

Think that you may be correct on that one Ray, unless there taking steel to Workington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know Bullgill, but it looks like its on the Maryport and Carlisle section looking at the track going under the bridge.

OzzyO.

PS. is that one of the R.R. engined class 17s at the back?

Edited by ozzyo

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to dig up the RM issues concerned.  There are two plans; one of Barrow and Grange-over-Sands and a second of Whitehaven Bransty and Corkickle.  Both are in the idiom of the early 1980s; that is, with quite a lot packed into the space and an emphasis on operation over exact scale reproduction.  No bad thing in my opinion, child of the Freezer generation that I am :D.

If you'd like, and if I can prise MissB off the scanner for five minutes, I'll shoot them over to you by PM.

Hi, the Whitehaven & Corkickle plan sounds interesting. Which issue of RM was it in?

Hello all,

a nice colour view of a CoBo at Barrow, it may be 5710, it's stood in the bay on No. 3 platform with what looks like another of the class departing from platform 4.

post-8920-0-46773600-1375156549.jpg

OzzyO.

• Like 5

I don't know Bullgill, but it looks like its on the Maryport and Carlisle section looking at the track going under the bridge.

The bridge in the photo was the reason for the clearence issues on the section between Carlisle and Workington,thats why they put bars on the windows of DMU's(so they say,it's really to stop west Cumbrian escaping and climbing on the roof)

Don't know anything about re-engined class 17's,i'm far to young!!!

Ray

• RMweb Premium

Think that you may be correct on that one Ray, unless there taking steel to Workington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OzzyO.

PS. is that one of the R.R. engined class 17s at the back?

Hi Ozzy O

I think it is an opitcal illusion. There was a panel line behind the radiator grille and I think that is what we are seeing.That area of teh engine room top seems to be very oil stained giving a shaddow like appearance.

The Rolls Royce pair had a centre engine section that was a good 4 to 6 inches higher and was very noticable. Even my model of it shows how much higher it was. I will dig it out later and take a photo of it.

edit @Ray D8586 and D8587 were built new with Rolls engines......ran no better than the rest of them.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

The bridge in the photo was the reason for the clearence issues on the section between Carlisle and Workington,thats why they put bars on the windows of DMU's(so they say,it's really to stop west Cumbrian escaping and climbing on the roof)

Don't know anything about re-engined class 17's,i'm far to young!!!

Ray

The long gone 108 prison sets, bars on the door windows and limited opening of the quarter lights.

Your nose will start to grow very long if you keep saying things like that.

Some nice photos. I don't recall seeing the cooling tower at Barow so presumably that went many years ago?

The cooling tower went a couple of years back (the photo must be pre 68 as it looks like a black 5 in the far right distance). It can't be that far back as I was still at infant school and that was only a few years ago (check my profile if you don't believe me) when they started to bring it down. Pneumatic drills no big bang for this baby. When you see the photo below you'll under stand why.

post-8920-0-66762800-1375170175_thumb.jpg

To try and help people who may know Barrow a bit or want to look it up on Google maps, the vertical line on the R/H side is the main line with Barrow station (the large white area) just beyond the second bridge (Abbey Rd.), the first bride is Greengate st.. The street that runs under this bridge is Marsh st. The square tower to the left of the cooling tower is Cases brewery on Cavendish st. The large factory at the top centre is the Iron and Steel works. The large white building in the centre of the photo is the Odeon cinema (see later photo). The two square buildings on the left centre are the corn mills. 

post-8920-0-21085000-1375170181_thumb.jpg

Looking along Cavendish st. To the right and behind the photographer is the pub The Barrow Arms, just beyond the canopy is the Theatre Bar, the chimney and tower in front of the cooling tower is Cases brewery (brewer's of one of the best pints in town) now long gone.

Back on to railways, the only blue CoBo (5709?) in the centre of this photo, the red loco in the photo is one of the two Fairburn tanks. The lines to the right are the main lines to Barrow with the F & M yard in the background.

post-8920-0-25078000-1375170460_thumb.jpg

Sorry about going off track a bit (well a lot).

OzzyO.

EDIT for PS. if you click on the photos all of them will expand.

Edited by ozzyo
  • Like 3

edit @Ray D8586 and D8587 were built new with Rolls engines......ran no better than the rest of them.

Mark Alden's exhastively researched article on the Class 17 in Classic Diesels & Electrics magazine debunks this theory. It was considered that the RR engined examples were actually very good and reliable performers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ozzy O

I think it is an opitcal illusion. There was a panel line behind the radiator grille and I think that is what we are seeing.That area of teh engine room top seems to be very oil stained giving a shaddow like appearance.

The Rolls Royce pair had a centre engine section that was a good 4 to 6 inches higher and was very noticable. Even my model of it shows how much higher it was. I will dig it out later and take a photo of it.

Here it is alongside one of my other scracthbuilt Clayton's. They were always on the "Going to finnish one day list" until I decided that I would concentrate on ER locos only.

post-16423-0-56692800-1375215407_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-38369200-1375215417_thumb.jpg

post-16423-0-35468000-1375215429_thumb.jpg

The engine room has quite a higher central section on D8586.

Hi OzzyO,

That's s great photo with the blue CoBo!

BR blue, steam, 16 tonners and a coach on the same siding, breakdown crane, lots of activity... and in colour.

That's a model layout in itself!

Cheers, Steve.

The long gone 108 prison sets, bars on the door windows and limited opening of the quarter lights.

Your nose will start to grow very long if you keep saying things like that.

The cooling tower went a couple of years back (the photo must be pre 68 as it looks like a black 5 in the far right distance). It can't be that far back as I was still at infant school and that was only a few years ago (check my profile if you don't believe me) when they started to bring it down. Pneumatic drills no big bang for this baby. When you see the photo below you'll under stand why.

attachicon.gifBarrow post 1941.jpg

To try and help people who may know Barrow a bit or want to look it up on Google maps, the vertical line on the R/H side is the main line with Barrow station (the large white area) just beyond the second bridge (Abbey Rd.), the first bride is Greengate st.. The street that runs under this bridge is Marsh st. The square tower to the left of the cooling tower is Cases brewery on Cavendish st. The large factory at the top centre is the Iron and Steel works. The large white building in the centre of the photo is the Odeon cinema (see later photo). The two square buildings on the left centre are the corn mills. 

attachicon.gif1965cavstOdeon.jpg

Looking along Cavendish st. To the right and behind the photographer is the pub The Barrow Arms, just beyond the canopy is the Theatre Bar, the chimney and tower in front of the cooling tower is Cases brewery (brewer's of one of the best pints in town) now long gone.

Back on to railways, the only blue CoBo (5709?) in the centre of this photo, the red loco in the photo is one of the two Fairburn tanks. The lines to the right are the main lines to Barrow with the F & M yard in the background.

attachicon.gifCarnforth approx 1967.jpg

Sorry about going off track a bit (well a lot).

OzzyO.

EDIT for PS. if you click on the photos all of them will expand.

The weathering on the end of that coach would repay the (probably considerable) effort to reproduce it.

After the class 28s worked the condor overnight to Glasgow they were used during the day on local passenger servicies. I have read they worked Cathcart circle trains and Gourock servicies. Don't know if they worked other routes. 

• RMweb Gold

Just caught up with this thread.  In #21 there's a Co-Bo with Sleeper stock.  Pardon my ignorance but did they work a Sleeper portion somewhere or was it just shunting ecs or what?  TIA

Ive heard rumours they worked passenger trains into Liverpool exchange, still trying to find more evidence

That wouldn't surprise me Michael, they worked Barrow trains into Manchester Victoria.

Just caught up with this thread.  In #21 there's a Co-Bo with Sleeper stock.  Pardon my ignorance but did they work a Sleeper portion somewhere or was it just shunting ecs or what?  TIA

IIRC the Duke sidings were not passed for passenger working, so this would be E.C.S. Being made ready for the London sleeper.

IIRC when the sleeper came in from London the sleepers (a. approx 05;30) were put in the bay that the CoBo is in, in the photo in post #31. Then after the passengers departed (approx 07;00) the sleepers would then be moved out of the way.

IIRC. at that time the sleeper was made up of three? parts. Day coaches (2?) and sleepers (2) from Workington, then day coaches (2?) and sleepers (2) from Barrow. It may also have picked up 2 or 3 sleepers at Preston. With all the day coaches at the loco end. I think that there was a loco change at Barrow so the new train loco would add the day coaches and the sleepers would be added at the back from the Duke sidings.

On the way back the day coaches would work up to Workington and work back to Barrow as a service train. Or all of the day coaches were on the train from Workington.

Stationmaster may be able to help a bit more on this.

When I started to use this train, the whole train started from Barrow (approx. 3 or 4 day and 2 sleep) with more added at Preston. This would have been in the late 70s or early 80s.

OzzyO.