DRS Class 37425 at Workington. 27/11/2015

• RMweb Gold

Gas Wood was part of the Selby coalfield, all the coal from the Selby pits came to the surface here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selby_Coalfield

Thanks Wheatley.  That has confirmed my thoughts.  Looking at this picture below there's a real sadness of whats left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selby_Coalfield#/media/File:Gascoigne_Wood_Mine_-_geograph.org.uk_-_235107.jpg

Other than the bridge, the sidings and spoil heaps that's all that remains of this Selby Complex.  I did try to get onto to the remaining bridge but wearing Birkenstocks wasn't probably the best way of exploring an old industrial site.

Thanks for the link.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Some great photo's of Scarborough. Northern sometimes run two class 158's in place of the class 158 and class 153 formation. There are some other NER tile maps, including one at Beverley Station.

Here's a reminder of when preserved steam used to run regularly to Scarborough - from August, 2008:

attachicon.gif100_3389 - Copy.JPG

Thanks Market,  Yes, I've seen the two Class 158's before but it was nice to see the 153.  A personal favourite, but we couldn't get on it because of standing room only .  Perhaps another 158 would have been better last Saturday though?!

Love the Black 5 shot.  Nice semaphore as well!

I'm looking forwards to seeing some steam on the Hull-Scarborough line.  I missed the Duke of Gloucester last year. 

Hi, Mark. Gascoigne Wood has always fascinated me. Going through it on the Hull to York service train, we always seem to have to slow down for a train coming in from Sherburn-In-Elmet.

Back in Scarborough. I was there today, and where I took that photo' of 45231, it would appear that it will no longer be possible to do that, for a gate has just been put in place on platform one near to the bridge, along with some 'cattle-grids'. A sign of the times?

I did take a photo' of the roof over platforms four and five, which is indeed a fine sight.

Here is the photo' I took of the gate which is now on platform one:

attachicon.gif100_6652 - Copy.JPG

And here is the roof over platforms four and five:

attachicon.gif100_6655 - Copy.JPG

Thanks once again.  I noticed that gate on Saturday.  It's the length of that seat on that wall which really shows how busy Scarborough.  Not sure if it had something to do with the  Whitby line that appeared from under Scarborough near to this point,

I love the covered platforms on this line.  It's a shame not all the stations retained their roofs.  I'd forgotten the Beverly map which I've seen previously.

Thanks for posting your photos.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Last Friday was a lovely day up here in Yorkshire.  I decided to bob out with my camera and visit Ulleskelf, Church Fenton and Milford Junction.

Here's a few snaps from the day.  First up is Transpennine Class 185 116 captured at speed heading through Ulleskelf towards York:

post-7584-0-43651500-1436127526_thumb.jpg

Ulleskelf station is just north of Church Fenton and consists of an island platform.  Northern services stop for Hull or Leeds services but can be infrequent.  Here's Northern Rail Class 158 853 heading south on what I think was a Leeds bound train showing the layout of Ulleskelf:

post-7584-0-31646700-1436127540_thumb.jpg

I moved down to Church Fenton to try and capture some freight action at the junction just south of the station where the lines head towards Castleford/Hull and Leeds.  Many coal/biomass trains serve the power stations in the Selby area and use the Castleford line.  I knew a GBrf service was due.  What I didn't realise was a Class 158 had been held for a passing Class 185 and you guessed it after waiting about 20 minutes I got bowled.  Here's the best I could do and shows the track layout nicely with 66731 'InterhubGB' heading north:

post-7584-0-38909600-1436127566_thumb.jpg

Not a bad way to spend a few hours in the glorious weather.  I did visit Milford Junction but all was quiet although I did meet a Network Rail chap checking rail temperatures.  He told me the rail head temperature was 39 degrees that afternoon.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. You've posted some great photo's of Ulleskelf and Church Fenton which really capture the places very well indeed. It was near to Ulleskelf that, until recently, on the up line to Church Fenton (not the up Leeds) that there was a bad section of rail which caused all trains to lurch most violently!

Back, if I can, to the Scarborough line. I have here three photo's of Driffield, which were taken on Saturday, which might be of interest. They are of Skerne Road LC. The Signal Box has a mirror along the side of it on a pole for sighting purposes.

post-22631-0-77455600-1436216409_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-21721300-1436216447_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-15405400-1436216479_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Market,

Lovely shots of the line.  Well have to start a thread on the Hull-Scarborough line one day.  Driffield still has loads of lovely old railway atmosphere.  Shame the signal box windows weren't done more sympathetically and the crime of taking the train shed roof of the station.  Thankfully, Scarborough, Filey and Beverley still have theirs.  

IIRC you can see the remains of the coal drops coming into Beverley from the north.  Should get a picture one day.

Thanks for the comments re: Ulleskelf and Church Fenton. Great places to watch trains.  Must try and capture more of the freight side of things around Milford.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Thank you for the kind comments. Regarding the coal drops at Beverley - I hope that I have read your post right here - sadly the coal drops at Beverley went in, I think, the late '80's. It is now just another car park. At Driffield, there are still the remains of the drops there on the down side of the line.

With regards,

Market65.

P.S. The idea of a thread devoted to the Hull to Scarborough line is a great one. My thinking cap is on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Market65,

Sorry only just picked your reply up.

Thanks for the clarification with the coal drops.  Need to have another trip down the line by the looks of things to refresh my memory.  

The idea of an Hull-Scarborough thread does sound good as well.  So much history, lovely stations and some beautiful countryside.  Passed Cayton station on Saturday which is to the same design as say Bempton.

This afternoon I popped over to Church Fenton hoping to photograph a Tyne S.S-Eastliegh service but missed it due to  early running.  I was interested to see what the consist was.

Anyway I caught 66748 on a Drax-Tyne coal terminal on a biomass train:

post-7584-0-86311300-1438616512_thumb.jpg

More soon!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon I was out near Ulleskelf which happens to be my nearest railway station.  It feels like its set in the middle of no where but is actually on the west side of the village.  It is about a couple of miles up the line from Church Fenton and is the last stop before York for a number of Northern Rail services. 

Here's a few snaps from my visit.  Thankfully the rain held off but it did cloud over. Firstly 158 861 calls on a York service Ferrybridge PS looms on the horizon:

post-7584-0-84277700-1438802865_thumb.jpg

Then an UID XC Voyager heads towards York the wheat almost ready for harvesting:

post-7584-0-51856300-1438803067_thumb.jpg

Finally 142 071 calls on its way to York.  Unlike Church Fenton, Ulleskelf is a single island platform,

post-7584-0-60100700-1438803267_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. I like the photo's Ulleskelf that you've posted tonight. I think that the harvest is a little late this year.

The 142;  I wonder if that was working in from Hull?

With best regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. I like the photo's Ulleskelf that you've posted tonight. I think that the harvest is a little late this year.

The 142;  I wonder if that was working in from Hull?

Thanks Market65,

Around this area Ulleskelf road bridge looks to be the best spot for photography,  Saying that where the bridge has been rebuilt on the York side it is very high. I'm over 6 foot and have to stand on my tip toes. I'm going to get a step to stand on for south bound shots.  Church Fenton is limited with the shots or angles you can get.  I was waiting on the bridge waiting for a north bound freight when to coal trains headed south on the Castleford/Selby platforms but with the footbridge there's no shot.

Need to find some more places up here to get a bit of variety.

Cheers,

Mark

Looking at Realtime Trains it looks as if the 142 was on a Sheffield-York service. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Thank you for the reply. Regarding rebuilt bridges, bridge 17 at Bridlington, which takes the A165 Bessingby Road over the railway, has got some very high sides as well and has made photography rather difficult there as well.

With best regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

On the Scarborough-Hull line I've got my eye on a bridge just down from Reighton on the back road to Brid.... More on this shortly.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Thank you for the reply. Regarding rebuilt bridges, bridge 17 at Bridlington, which takes the A165 Bessingby Road over the railway, has got some very high sides as well and has made photography rather difficult there as well.

With best regards,

Market65.

Monk Fryston - Milford Junction - just down the road from Ulleskeff has been completely ruined now they've replaced the bridge.

• RMweb Gold

Monk Fryston - Milford Junction - just down the road from Ulleskeff has been completely ruined now they've replaced the bridge.

Thanks Beast,

I've seen some shots taken from here before it was rebuilt and have been down there,

There's so much freight traffic around and trying to find a decent spot to photograph from is quite difficult.  Doesn't help not knowing the area that well.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Beast,

I've seen some shots taken from here before it was rebuilt and have been down there,

There's so much freight traffic around and trying to find a decent spot to photograph from is quite difficult.  Doesn't help not knowing the area that well.

Cheers,

Mark

Sheburn-in-Elmet station is not bad - depending on the sun. You been to Colton Junction yet, that's good ?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Beast.

I've never stopped at Sherburn-in-Elmet but should have a look.  

I presume Colton Juntion is near/in York.  Lookijng on RTT it does look busy-even tomorrow!

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I presume Colton Juntion is near/in York?  Lookijng on RTT it does look busy-even tomorrow!

Ah! I've been there many a time....I'd forgotten the name though:

http://www.trainspots.co.uk/locpage.php?ts_number=5

There's been a lot of work on the embankments of the Church Fenton line here of late as well as the bridge work here and at Bolton Piercy which appears to be going on forever.

Thanks once again.

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I was near Reighton and popped down to Grisdale Bridge on the Hull-Scarborough Line.

I caught Northern Rail Class 158 853 heading towards Hunmanby having just called at Bempton.

post-7584-0-51085500-1439193178_thumb.jpg

Here you're on the edge of the Yorkshire Wolds in a beautiful part of the country.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Excellent photo'. That bridge is not far from the village of Grindale, and I've often cycled back from Scarborough over the bridge having a rest there. The next bridge, can't think of the bridge number, has some girders underneath it to help stengthen it - it is quite tall. Also the line here, being single track, has quite a country branch line feel to it.

With regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Excellent photo'. That bridge is not far from the village of Grindale, and I've often cycled back from Scarborough over the bridge having a rest there. The next bridge, can't think of the bridge number, has some girders underneath it to help stengthen it - it is quite tall. Also the line here, being single track, has quite a country branch line feel to it.

Thanks once again.

It is a lovely part of the line around Bempton giving it that lovely branchline feel.  

The bridge you mention is the one a few hundred meters north of were I took this photo and the girders are clearly visible. I need to have another look for a photo opportunity but IIRC there's a good clear section in the Humnamby direction.  

One shot I always think would work is looking across the embankment/road bridge just south of the Reighton roundabout with sheep and shepherd sculptures on! May be worth a try.

Have you ever seen any weedkilling/PW trains on the line?

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Thank you for your reply. I haven't seen any weedkilling trains, so far, and come to think of it the weeds seem to be growing more than ever before this year in the Beverley area. I hope that you will have success with your photo's, and look forward to seeing them.

With regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. I've just come across some photo's from the long hot summer of 1976 which are of Beverley station. These two, which are scans, and are far from perfect, show a 4-car class 110 BRC&W ''Calder Valley'' DMU departing on a mid-afternoon service to Hull at the end of June that year.

post-22631-0-07554700-1439852624_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-99113500-1439852648_thumb.jpg

With best regards,

Market65.

With best regards,

Market65.

I worked as a signalman for some years during the 90's at Bridlington South and looked out over bridge 17. I can assure you that the view from the box is much better than that from the bridge parapet! ;)

If one makes their way round to Station Road, the ascent of the bridge from Bessingby Road affords superb views of what remains of the station throat.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. I've just come across some photo's from the long hot summer of 1976 which are of Beverley station. These two, which are scans, and are far from perfect, show a 4-car class 110 BRC&W ''Calder Valley'' DMU departing on a mid-afternoon service to Hull at the end of June that year.

attachicon.gif100_5589 - Copy.JPG

attachicon.gif100_5591 - Copy.JPG

With best regards,

Market65.

Lovely old snaps Market 65. Thankyou for sharing them.

A nice looking unit which is the same as the old Hornby offering I believe? Certainly different to a Class 158.

Sadly this weekend I saw the TdF Class 158 attached to a Class 153 but didn't have my camera on me.  First time I'd seen it as well.

If you have any more photos please scan them.

Cheers,

Mark

Archived