N Gauge signals (LNER U1 Garratt in N gauge)

Hi all

I hope that this may be of interest to a few people, i have decided to try and create a lner U1 garratt in N gauge, which i hope to fit onto Farish 8F chassis if possible.
i have attached a picture of progress so far, it is only the basics of the central boiler section atm, what do you all think.

post-4616-0-58133800-1380662861_thumb.jpg

Thanks
David

This looks seriously interesting, but won't you need TWO Black 5 Chassis?

Regards

Ian

Hi ian

this one will require two chassis, however for the LNER U1 they will need to be 8F 2-8-0 chassis, im not however sure yet whether i will be able to use two motors without serious change to the front tender section shape, i will have to obtain a chassis to measure first for this

David

Looks and sounds awesome I grew up not far from where the u1 plyed it's trade all be it long after it had retired will be watching with interest

Brian

Nice project.

You might want to double check the number of facets that the boiler and cab roof have.  The software will smooth the output on the display to make it look round but judging by the front end it's only a 14 sided polygon.  When you convert this to an .stl and print it you might find it doesn't look very round!

If your software allows it I recommend that you occasionally change the view setting to show all the hidden edges - that will give you a better idea of what will actually get printed.

Good luck!

Hi

thank-you, and thank-you for the advice on the model quality, I had noticed it was poor but wasn't sure if this would go away on the print, I will have a look through the settings to try and increase this, being Catia it should be possible.

David

single motor hidden in the boiler and cardan shaft arrangement to the chassis.

I would certainly agree with that, and you can then fit the motor worms onto the shaft ends - quite tricky stuff though. Last time I checked N Brass did most of the needed bits.

That would also give you more room for the decoder, speakers and a lump of weight over each chassis.

i will definitely look into this idea, apologies for not commenting before, had not spotted it, i have on purposely left the boiler of the loco completely hollow and open from underneath originally for weight purposes. i would also have to look into how easy it would be to conceal the cardon shaft from the boiler to the front tender section, as i think this may be difficult without it coming straight out of the smoke box door.

well i was thinking of a drive arrangement more like this

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Gozunder.htm

should all be hidden by the running gear and other underslung odds and sods

this looks quite interesting, the motor could be housed in the equipment boxes underneath the boiler, would still need to look into how possible it would be to adapt the chassis to get the carden shafts in to the gear box at this height though

Another quick update

I have started some more of the basic detail around the cab areas, i did have all the boiler handrails complete too, but the program decided to delete them again without warning when i adjusted the size of the smoke box as i had made it larger than the main boiler not smaller.

post-4616-0-73423900-1381787106_thumb.jpg

Regards 

David

Are you sure you want to print the handrails? It seems to me you could get sturdier and more to scale ones if you used brass wire once you print it.

i was thinking of it in the terms of simplifying the project and keeping the costs down, but i do agree with you that it would probably be better to make them separate. i may go back and just create a series of small holes in the locations for the handrail knobs to go into. Im just sort of seeing how things work, and seeing what would and wouldnt as i go along.

Hi all

Im wondering if anyone would be able to help me by measuring up a Farish 8F chassis for me to aid in the production of the Garrat. this is due to me being unable to afford any at the moment (typical uni student with no money).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Another Small update on progress.

I have added the front cab windows, and roof edge and vent details. and as per advice, and deciding it is the better option i have remove the moulded handrails and placed holes along the boiler cabs and smokebox door for the handrail knobs to be fitted into.

post-4616-0-14885800-1382302944_thumb.jpg

David

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the lack of updates, this is due to uni work, laptop breaking, and being unsure how to progress, i need to fnd the time to have an in depth look at how i can create the motorised chassis, as i dont think the 8f chassis will fit from farish. 

However i have been doing a bit of work on some signals for my layout, and intend to upload them onto shapeways, and will if anyone is interested make them available for sale.

the way i have created them enables a very modular format, this means i can create almost any formation, and even make them available to sell as components if that is of interest.

i have attached an image of the triple signal i have created for a junction on my layout.

post-4616-0-30718900-1387823547.jpg

Regards 

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi 

I have now placed my first order from shapeway for the triple signal which i will post photos off once it has arrived, i have also posted this and a single signal at danger onto the site for sale. I will also be adding sets of signal arms, signal posts on there own, and other finished signal variations as i get them sorted.

the link to my shop: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/crossdesigns

regards 

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Unfortunately when i tried to get the triple signal printed the signal arms were to thin to print, i have had to thicken them up by 0.1mm, and once i have got them converted to STL files and re uploaded to shapeways i will have another attempt at printing them.

Regards 

David Cross

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I have now solved the issue of my catia crashing whilst trying to create the stl files (i was doing the wrong thing), and have re-uploaded modified versions of the signals to shapeways with slightly thicker arms, hopefully this will enable them to be printed successfully and the order has gone in so i will have to wait and see what the outcome is.

the signals i have uploaded and ordered are as follows:

Short single at danger

Normal Single at clear

Single Forward starter at clear

Triple Junction Signal

normal single at danger

post-4616-0-91883900-1390831627.jpg

Also could anyone tell me if it is possible to amend the thread title.

Regards

David

Archived