Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

I'm looking forward to your next 33 installment. . I'm sure they'll be excellent. . I like what you've done so far. The Heljan buffer beams look good.. what colour is it going to be?

Ross... (happy new year btw) :)

Hi Ross :) ,

Great to hear from you.

Thanks for the kind words - I had a good starting point with your Cl33! :)

This one will, hopefully be, GFYE - a real cross-over loco.

I mislead slightly in my previous Post a little, I have just found another couple of items that will need to be parred off as this GFYE loco will have the un-modified roof etc. (some did even with a FY cabs). :derisive:  ;)  :)

ATVB

CME :)

Didn't know that CME, I thought they all got the roof mods before FYE's :)

Hi Phill, :)

Not as far as I can tell :) , I have identified 2-3 locos which didnt, it is true to say that with the photographic evidence, one has to do some detective work, yet this appears to be the case (but I am quite happy to be proven wrong before I paint the thing :yes:  :derisive: ).

Hope that I am not teaching anyone to such eggs.

IIRC the issue of yellow warning panels and then FY ends, was H&S and union led, and in terms of H&S rightly so, so I have to presume that such would take priority over refits and loco modifications et al. I am guessing that minor repairs at the time of these H&S requirements/move to FY ends, with a brief return to works, would net a quick FYE paint job. Similarly with the roof/exhaust mods, but, with some locos (ie D6566 et al.), there seems to have been no time for a full repaint to BR Corp. blue (Corp. blue coincided, roughly speaking with the Type 3's roof/exhaust mods so I guess a repaint was prudent if time permitted a full refurb, some of the Type 3's of course were re-liveried in Corp. blue but with their 'D' prefix numbers applied as this was just prior to TOPS - IIRC TOPS was early 1970's whereas Corp blue was 1966 onwards)?

As far as I can tell from photographic evidence - and one of my books seems to have gone walkabout (lost in the Tardis that is the back-bedroom) - locos; - D6563 (circa March 1967), & D6560 (Reading 1 June 1968) seem to fit the bill as far as my model is concerned (although the photos are a little sketchy I have looked to see if such have had the roof mods/positioning of roof bolts and of course exhaust/exhaust smoke etc etc. - on these two locos the orginal exhaust ports and roof attachment bolts still seem to be in place, on D6560 the loco even seems to be exhausting from the original exhaust port). Whereas locos;- D6566 (March 1968) and D6582 (January 1969) were GFYE with modified roofs/exhausts.

One journal states that when the type 3's had GFYE's applied the white side stripe/band was truncated towards the end of the cab doors, however, this is not always the case as D6582 & D6563 had the white stripe left in place with the FYE being painted atop (so the white line continued along the entire length/sides of the loco as built).

I need to do more research, yet these are my observations and findings to date.

PLEASE chip-in, anyone who knows differently. :) 

ATVB

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All, :)

For the repository of knowledge here is some more info on the GFYE Type 3's (Class 33's).

According to further photographic evidence I have found a photo of three Type 3 'Cromptons', D6518 is GFYE and with the original roofing and roofing bolts etc. also it's body-side white stripe continues along the entire length of the loco and under the full yellow ends, this loco was piloting D6501 which was in original all over green livery, there is another, unidentified, loco some way back in the photo in GSYE. These were all photographed at Eastleigh Depot 29th April 1967. :imsohappy: 

All it needed was a modified blue Type 3 and, for that era, that would have been the full set!

I hope that the above may be of help to those wanting to model 'unmodified' GFYE Type 3's.

ATVB

Hi All, :)

A couple of photos of the Engine Shed (a little more progress made), with additional subtle weathering to the roof, the ridge tiles have been picked out in the terracotta (which these type of roll-top ridge tiles seemed to be when used with a slate roof), the 'timber' planking is now a mix of blacks, browns and greys which look different in different lights, sometimes black, sometimes brown and sometimes grey, which is how such planked timber appears on similar prototype buildings.

The ES is starting to look a little more mundane now and with the de-nibbing of the resin and the poorly applied factory paint it is starting to come together. I am aiming for a weathered but cared for - as best BR WR could in the 1960's and 1970's - ES, my reasoning is that at the end of steam the night-time cleaners needed a good base to work from and the RAF would have required good levels of service in terms of shunting of branch trains and the exchange sidings etc. so the out-based locos at Down Ampney would require reasonable care and attention (from reasonably well maintained facilities), before going back to Swindon Works et al. A little contrived I know, but needs must.

On with the doors next and the window frames could do with a blat of white-primer to the rear (as they have not been painted on the backs by Bachmann - quelle surprise!), then a wash or two of weathered light grey/white. I also need to add some more brick hues to the brick plinth (plus more realistic mortar from MIG washes) and a few streaks to the roof and a bit of soot above the doors, the gutters and down-pipes need repainting too etc etc. then it will be finished. The weather isnt good enough for rattle-can work outdoors at the moment though.

ATVB

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2015

post-11256-0-22934300-1421104304_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-73006700-1421104438_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words and the 'Likes' much appreciated.

I have found another photo of D6560 in GFYE circa April 1969 at Hither Green Depot.

As far as I can tell the loco still has it's original roof/roof panels with standard bolts - although I cannot see the exhaust port.

Interestingly the loco seems to have - judging by the shadow and weathering patterns -  the 4 bolted on (with 4 bolts) plates under the Cooler Group/Radiator Grill. The early green locos didnt have these plates from new and I therefore associated them with a major refit/modifications (ie modified roof and exhaust) as photographic evidence suggested this, yet if I am correct, D6560, in the two photos I have (1968 and 1969), still has the original roof/exhaust arrangement. As I dont yet know, I have to assume that these plates are for inspection purposes, perhaps something to do with the Cooler Group/Radiators, maybe even some sort of 'drain-off' (for antifreeze)?

For those not in the know, and I suspect I am teaching granny to suck eggs, the reason why the Class 33/Type 3's had their roofs - and original exhaust ports plated over - modified were manifold. In brief, there were problems with rain water and detritus getting into the loco and affecting the electrics etc - in and around the original exhaust port (I understand that there were fires because of such causing various types and severity of damage). Also, the addition of the roof 'clips' reduced the number of roof fixings (bolts) and thus made access to and maintenance of the locos inner workings a lot easier for depots et al.

Phill has encouraged me to reconsider the use of the Lima chassis :)  - as opposed to scratch building anew - so I have been eyeing such up in the very occasional spare moment this week and I know that Phill's ethos is spot on, I just need to ascertain fixings/fixing points (as I have filled in the horrid holes under the cab-doors and parred back the lugs to the rear). I also need to consider the non cosmetic bulkheads which I have made provision for vs the fitment of RC gear (thanks for the additional photos of RC fitment Phill  - please feel free to Post them here if you would like, Phill :)). I want to, if choosing to stick with the Lima chassis, to ascertain if I can add a few more noticeable details to such. :derisive:  :)

So that's progress this week - not a great deal but a bit of behind the scenes research and head-scratching - whilst dealing with car trouble (all now resolved), transportation and medical appointments (ouch).

ATVB

• Like 2

Here's those pics .........

attachicon.gifmsg-6992-0-94826100-1421082846_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifmsg-6992-0-36402300-1421082884_thumb.jpg

BTW I kept the Lima retaining lugs but partially filled the holes in the body (on the outside of course).........

attachicon.gif13th%20August%20003RMW.jpg

attachicon.gifXL804571-001.JPG

Cheers Phill   :)

Hi Phill,

Many thanks for those photos, they demonstrate it all perfectly :imsohappy:  :yes: . It looks like Steve Leyland has come up with a clever gear and motor set-up (to reduce battery drain/usage). The battery pack seems to encroach on the cab space at one end though (which worries me a little)?

Phill, I particularly like the way which you have set up the lug attachment arrangement on your loco body, trialling my version last night and I think that I will have to add a little more plastic to the lugs as I parred them back a little too much.

BTW Phill, what motor and gearbox arrangement are you using in your RC locos (apologies if I have asked this before).

​As I wasnt in the mood for more painting of the ES this week - which if I am not, then painting at such times can be disastrous - so I have been re-working one of the Lima chassis, one which came virtually FOC, and has a lot of holes in it as the previous owner had fitted two LIma motor-bogies to it - plus other bits and bobs of an unknown origin. I understand that it was a school railway club loco that had seen a lot of use - and must have been a lot of fun too. I also need to work out how to attach the powered-bogie to the chassis. I shall Post photos in due course when I have filled in most of the gaps.

Kindest to all,

A friend did the bogies for me CME, they are PRMRP etch bogies made by me but retro fitted with roller bearings & his own gearboxes.........I was going to use ABC gear boxes & may do that in the future as my friend a bit busy now :)

Hi Phill,

Thanks.

I have the PRMRP sub chassis/bogies, knocked up some time back and fettled accordingly, but not sure if I will use them as I may use some aluminium 'U' section instead, I have a set of roller-bearings for them and Roxey/Markits gearboxes but may try Steph's gearboxes (or perhaps ABC's) as power saving and reducing rolling resistance is the order of the day for RC. :)  :yes:

ATVB

CME

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

A quick update.

Not much time for model-making of late, my partner has, so we have recently discovered, a potentially serious health condition, so we are running the gauntlet of tests etc. last week and over the coming weeks - and sleep deprivation is playing its part at the moment.

I have a few new purchases which I hope to share in due course - when I find time to photograph them (may end up on the Draycott Thread).

For some sanity I have managed, with a few minutes here and there, to 'rebuild' one of the Lima chassis, which came to me with a lot of holes in it (pretty much FOC), which I will provide photos of when nearer completion as it isnt the most exciting subject matter as it stands at the moment.

I have motors and gears, but I am looking at a set-up for such from Steph Dale, as his products are very nice and he oft has bearing races with his products too (which will aid running and battery life in this RC model).

Kindest to one and all,

CME

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

A bit of eye candy for you, because, apart from the rebuild (which are easy to do repairs - albeit a multitude of them) of one of my Class 33 chassis (photos to follow) there has been little time for model-making as we are still not out of the woods just yet and life is still more than just a little challenging - with both of us having more than just a few health challenges, onwards and upwards though.

The following photos are of my newish CCT. 

The CCT was made for me by the very skilled Peter Cowling and although it took approx 18 months to arrive it was well worth the wait - Peter is, rightly so, a very busy chap and much in demand.

Father has forbidden me to heavily weather it - awwwww shucks - he's that impressed with the livery choice! So apart from the addition of a couple of door-bang stops and some weathering of the chassis and grab rails it will remain as is. Peter provided a nice dull finish and weathered roof so it looks like its been in service for a week or so already.

Also have a look here, as the CCT was photographed on the sidings at Draycott :derisive:  :laugh: ;-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/92282-draycott-camp-halt-sidings-7mm-finescale/?p=1829772

Kind regards,

CME

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2015 etc.

post-11256-0-82934400-1427153502_thumb.jpg

• Like 7