Down Ampney Layout Build & Workshop Thread (For All Things 7mm FS & 0-16.5)

CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All,

Just a quick update.

Modelling mojo is out to lunch at the mo and crawling around on damp grass to continue work on the outdoor line/laying track doesnt appeal.

Also I found that one section of the boards (a straight section) seems to have lost torsional rigidity <comes out in a cold sweat, nightmares of rotten boards> :O  :O  but all seems well and no rot is apparent, although some of the roofing felt feels a bit lumpy in places but this is due to the tar cooling and loosing its grab in the colder and damp weather (perhaps hot tar/a blow torch would have been a better method to afix such?) what the problem appears to be is that we didnt put a post every 3' or 1m in that section - oh bu$$er! :no:  :nono:  :O  Not the fault of duff timber - but ours! TBF the boards in that area were very strong/ridgid in fact, yet a year or two of weather, rain and sun, some clay soil shift and even within the last day or two, there is some minor vertical movement too (whereas a few days back it was just torsional movement).

This all came to light when our local, ever growing fox cub, decided that he/she would walk along and sit on the layout - thankfully the boards didnt bow and supported this charming looking animal's weight well. He/she views me with indifference and seems quite tame, my guess is that someone is feeding him/her and thats why he/she is in such nice condition. The fox was trying to root out our local hedge mouse - or playing, cant work out which - I think that he/she thought Id come out to play too! Anyways as nice a creature as the fox is a humane scarer has been put out the back as I dont want it jumping on boards/track - even if it is light on its feet and the boards and track are pretty solid!

The solution - apart from ripping that board and track out and adding another post (which may be an option a year or two down the line)? Dexion screwed and glued to the underside of the boards' framework. Why Dexion? Well we had that in stock, left over from decades ago and as its a 90 degree angle it should add a lot of strength width ways on and thus cure the problem - or potential problems - with the boards twisting. Maybe it will help with the minor deflection too - or at least long enough for us to play trains for awhile. Deep joy, I know, but doable, using woodscrews and some speclialist all weather sealant/glue (can be applied under water).

http://www.tradesystems.co.uk/Slotted-Angle.html?gclid=CNStndyg7cgCFWnkwgodBEEI1Q

These are the joys of layouts outdoors.

Lessons learned and words of wisdom to the wise, whatever else happens, posts must be placed every 3' regardless, even if the boards are solid as weather and movement will happen, especially on clay soil and they will, this time of year, have damp/sweat up on the undersides. Also as we did with the H&BLR, best to erect two posts, then one-two boards, then two posts then one-two boards as this method helps follow the contours of the garden and ensure post distances and a better flow for the line. With Down Ampney we 'surveyed' and pegged out, making most of the boards in one go, that means more work when real world discrepancies arise and adjustments have to be made. Mind you all hindsight is always 20:20 vision isnt it.

Photos to follow.

Kindest to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi All :)

Model-making mojo coming back slowly - at least I have started to tidy the workbench and think of projects etc.

We have nearly finished the reinforcement plates for the straight section of garden line - I am guessing that some wouldnt bother, but we think its worth the effort, belt and braces wise.

Our Terrier should be here soon - which inspires if it gets here in one piece :help:  :derisive:

Also I treated myself to three wonderful figures from Detailed Miniatures. I wanted a couple of Guards for two Brake-vans Im finishing off, including the Toad, and as they are very visible and I loath poor quality figures (to my mind they can make or break the best of scenes or models - I would rather go without, but if good quality, figures add a miniature charm all of their own, one which draws us to our love off all things miniature I think :) ) and wasnt feeling in the mood to paint such, so I ordered them. Carole (at DM) and I exchanged a number of emails as I wanted two Guards to be similar but different, I also wanted late 1960s and early 1970s single breasted BR uniforms in black (which DM didnt seem to have), so Carole sourced/worked with her supplier for a new Guard figure so as to get what I wanted - superb service! I also wanted a standing up, non BR, diesel driver for the Fowler. DM supplied them all wonderfully assembled and painted all superbly boxed and packaged at a VFM price. I can paint figures in 1:35 and I was lucky enough to win a competition for modifying and painting them in a vignette setting, yet I couldnt bring myself to paint such in 1:43 at this moment in time (too much going on in other areas of my life to even set the time aside) - DM even paint the eyes in full - wow! One really needs good light and a magnifying glass to appreciate these figures fully - but when photographing the Brake-vans with a digital camera in cruel close up any short falls with a figure would have stuck out like a proverbial - not now though! I will try and Post photos but I am not sure that I can do them justice, even the two Guards which are the same figure have slightly different arm and head positions (which I asked for) and different hair colour, one even has a moustache. Just lovely. Here is a Link;-

http://www.detailedminiatures.co.uk/

Photos to follow soon.

Kindest regards to all,

CME :)

• Like 1

Hi All, :)

A couple of photos of my off piste adventure into steam, the A1X Terrier (Router/Rooter), 61/661/32661 (ex Sutton), one of my only impulse(ish) purchases in 7mm. :imsohappy:  :imsohappy: It isnt perfect (one or two minor faults/damage - but no drama to fix), but it looks right, looks very nice, with the exception of the chimney join, but with a little light fettling and some light weathering it will be seen on my micro-shunting layouts or on a backdated Down Ampney branch with a rail-tour headboard and maybe,one day,a pair of suburban MK1 coaches.

Hope to take some photos of the Detailed miniatures soon too, but hospital visits loom for both my better half and I, so time will be at a premium.

Kind regards to all,

PS I hope that the photos are okay - I cant tell at the moment as the screen on this PC is a bit below par.

Photographs are the copyright of the author/photographer 2015

post-11256-0-10543400-1447366856_thumb.jpg

post-11256-0-79986500-1447367070_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Good morning CME, I had to look twice at those photos, I thought they where pictures of a real loco  :imsohappy:

Best of luck to you both with the Hospital visit, thanks for the PM information.

Craig.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the kind words (its devilishly hard to photo the walling and get it to look right, it looks better to my MK1 eyeballs than in photos and that's saying something :mosking: ) -

If I can be of further help, then you're most welcome.

Kindest,

CME.

Hi All,

A very quick update.

Test ran the Terrier for 20 mins on DC and it ran well from the box until a sand box fell off and jammed in the wheel, no great drama though.

Runs really well, very smooth. I am keeping a weather eye on the Terrier thread as there are some issues with faults re the fitting of DCC and faulty PCB components.

More later.

Kindest regards to all,

CME

It does seem that there have been some concerns - there are several threads in the G0G forum, regarding issues with capacitors & speakers fouling the centre drivers.

Shame, because they look fantastic ( not that a Terrier ever made it to my fictional part of the Welsh railway network )

Best

Simon

It does seem that there have been some concerns - there are several threads in the G0G forum, regarding issues with capacitors & speakers fouling the centre drivers.

Shame, because they look fantastic ( not that a Terrier ever made it to my fictional part of the Welsh railway network )

Best

Simon

:) Yes Simon,

Problems with suppression PCB capacitors evidently - please see my further comments below - the speaker size issue seems to have been overcome by Paul Chetter, although no instructions are included with the loco, Dapol include a speaker shroud for the Terrier (I have never had much luck at getting into the GOG website, even though Im a member) and that maybe problematic?

I chose the loco with, I believe, the least compromises in RTR model form, the cab is pretty sparse but with fettling and a crew it should be okay, overall very nice indeed and I couldnt build one for the price...

Still infenetly better value than Heljan's recent offerings though.....i'm looking forward to more Dapol 7mm personally :)

:) Yes they are Phill, I am wondering if I should sell my soul for the HJ Warship though :derisive: The new 24/25 looks nice too, yet if time permitted a JLTRT version with Radio Control would be nice though. I am told that all the problems with Heljan gears are long gone - but I have heard that before - although the Heljan locos have improved in terms of detail over the past few releases, the prices have really climbed too, hence they are now a considered purchase for me, yet I have to weigh that against time and effort too, at the moment. Also relatively speaking in 7mm I have a lot less locos than I once did in OO so on balance the costs are not a lot different, just more money spent in one chunk (selling off some OO steam outline locos again now :cry: :derisive: ).

In regard to the Dapol Terrier problems, we are yet to ascertain exactly what is wrong as there are reports of problems with the DCC (Sound) onboard locos and when fitting Zimo decoders (when used with the more complex Digitrax and ZTC systems et al). But even with the suppression PCB removed and using the decoder's suppression system, problems still seem to exist - making me wonder if there is a problem with the other PCB (with the 21 pin socket)? As more info becomes available we shall all have a better idea.

If fitting a decoder to a kit built loco, one would wire to the pick-ups and motor and let the decoder do its job with its on-board suppression and no problems should exist, yet some have reported problems even with the Dapol suppression PCB removed - ie decoders not activating and getting hot etc.

I have to say that from the POV of friends and family, that Dapol have offered to repair and make good any problems with our Terriers - although I havent seen any official press releases in regard to the problem from them - Dapol have thus far promised to adhere to their no quibble warranty, with several repair options open to customers - so one cant say fairer than that, even if having something that is faulty is a little bit of a chore.

If a Terrier runs well now on DC, then more than likely there wont be a problem, unless converting to DCC. I think Dapol are concerned with folk removing the suppression PCB and then perhaps eg selling the loco on with the decoder removed and thus without suppression the loco wouldnt be EU compliant, yet I have to say that such wouldnt be Dapol's fault. Having said this, it seems that Dapol want to make good so that all eventualities are covered which, is noble and correct on their part.

I dont think this is a Dapol problem per se but one of the product being produced in foreign climbs and mistakes being made (ie its not a design fault but a QC issue), but of course Dapol have to carry the can for such QC issues regardless - I for one still have concerns over models and products being made in China or Pacific Rim countries....but I have little say in the matter over all and the prices are good, its a dilemma for sure, in every walk of life. :help:

I hope that clarifies :)

Kindest to all,

Not a clue - I think if I were designing it, I'd make the superstructure from injection moulded plastic, ABS probably.

I guess the underworks would be some form of die casting. I'd die cast the wheel centres, ideally split axles or rim insulated with steel treads.

I think the pipe work should be metal, but I doubt that this would be economically viable - plastic mouldings from something rather pliable more likely.

I'd make things like cylinders and pony trucks as readily available spare parts - a lot of GW modellers would use them - probably injection mouldings again. Perhaps water tank filers, backhead, too.

Could be wrong of course...

Best

Simon

Hi All,

I dont seem to be getting all of my RMW alerts in my 'IN BOX' for my email - mind you Im up to my neck in it all at the mo, so perhaps I missed them? (dont think so as I would have noticed Down Ampney in the title)...

Your comments Simon seem spot on. I shall look forward to the Prairie coming out but Heljan have listed a fruity price, especially if it's injection moulded (as their price is the same as brass RTR?), I would have thought that it should be, £350-450, judging by Ixion and Dapol's recent releases. I see Heljan are going to do this too;

http://www.tower-models.com/

Again fruity on retail price - not sure if I could justify one, but like the Prairie it would be a nice to have as its a favourite of mine and the '00' versions look nice - hopefully there will be some decent discounts, Tower have implied such.

Looking to get some more bits and bobs soon, yet no time for model-making of late.

Kindest to all,

CME

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Not a great deal to report, as still, both running the gauntlett with health tests and numerous visits to medical institutions.

Dad and I had an enjoyable whistle stop tour of the Reading trade show and managed to pick up a few bits and bobs for completing a couple of models inc the Toad. Had some nice chats with various folk from this parish.

Hopefully I may get time and mojo back to get some model-making done soon, by this time of year normally I would have had a fair hours of modelling under my belt and thus progress made. Not that modelling should be a chore, yet momentum and endeavouring to get a critical mass achieved with Down Ampney would be useful, ie substantial completion, with a few kit builds for sheer pleasure-fingers crossed we will get there.

Car MOT and repairs on the horizon along with a few other chores to tick off of the list, then time for some quality time.

The Season's greetings to you all!

Kindest,

CME

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Just a quick THE SEASON'S GREETINGS to one and all.

Thanks so much to all who have read, encouraged, commented upon and generally followed the Thread, Im sorry that there hasnt been many photos and much eye-candy of late, I have some bits and bobs from Reading and hope to finish the Brake Van and Brake Tender soon - maybe over Christmas if Im lucky (I may just eat and sleep though LOL!).

Happy Holidays to you and yours (as they say across the pond).

Kindest,

CME

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone, :)

A belated Happy New Year to one and all. :imsohappy:

Although there hasnt been much time for model-making per se, I have been gathering parts for completion of various projects.

I have also been tidying and reorganising the workbench and putting projects in 'really useful' storage boxes and allocating detail parts to them and/or keeping such in compartmentalised boxes with 'see-thru' lids (sic).....endeavouring to make life easier and tidier. This is for my ten minutes here and ten minutes there modelling policy, ie I can, easily, yet more tidily, pick up where I left off (in theory - and it keeps SWMBO happy'ish!? :derisive: )

A 'blue screen' episode with our tower PC meant the purchase of a new PC in the sales and the new PC is a flying machine, sadly it has a virus on it....WINDOWS 10! :mosking:  :thankyou: 25 hours to configure this lovely machine and counting! Microsoft in their infinite wisdom have basically blocked all disc based software, even their own, thus 'enforced - as opposed to 'planned' - 'obsolescence'...all very under hand and I find myself looking to extricate myself from MS products as much as possible now (Google are banging on about not supporting Windows XP, 7 and Vista PCs now too). I would backdate from Windows 10 or look to install a.n.other Operating System, BUT, if Windows 10 is un-installed, Microsoft have left some 'booby-traps' within Windows 10 as it leaves traces/tentacles/alien ganglion within the PC, sometimes rendering the PC, whether new or not, virtually useless - yes really. Why do I mention this on a railway modelling forum? The 25 plus hours has eaten into model-making time. I usually play catch up with tech, and let those with more time and inclination sort such mundane problems, but the PC came with Windows 8.1 and hardly anything would run on that (worse than Windows 10!) so I was forced, without being able to look in the horse's mouth, into Windows 10. :help:  :stink:  :cry:

I have also been selling off more '00' items to fund various goodies in 7mm that are due for release.

I am also dusting off a SM32 battery powered loco kit to finish and, more than likely, sell on (more on that on the H&BLR Thread soon).

So photos to follow soon!

One project that fits in with the new tidy up is my ex-GWR N13 (Parkside) Horsebox (out of era a little I know, but its a lovely kit), which has progressed a little further and I have purchased some more detail parts for the this fine kit - here are some photos just to liven this Post up a little, (I have made more progress than this, but need to take more photos - honest!) :angel:

Thanks for looking, apologies for the quiet spell - unavoidable with numerous hospital and health appointments still cropping up.

Kindest to all,

Photographs are the Copyright of the Author/Photographer 2012-2016

post-11256-0-47129700-1454344534.jpg

post-11256-0-50802000-1454344641.jpg

post-11256-0-94078400-1454344657.jpg

post-11256-0-40382100-1454344677.jpg

post-11256-0-07736500-1454344699.jpg

post-11256-0-65624700-1454344730.jpg

post-11256-0-33587900-1454344765.jpg

• Like 3

Sounds like a plan. 

I notice your "black pen" memory aid is in full swing.  I have one of those too.

Best

Hi Barnaby,

Yep, have to help the old grey cells a bit LOL! And if I put a kit down for awhile then it helps to remember where I got to....

And very good they are at touching up / removing the shine from wheel rims, axles, coupling hooks, etc...

Best

Simon

I agree, Simon, dad popped over with his oldest diesel outline SM32 loco recently and that requires that very same treatment (sadly when purchased we didnt realise that it wasnt well primed by the builder - having said that it has seen a lot of use and was used by nieces and nephews when they were growing up).

Thanks for Posting fellas.

ATVB

CME

• 1 month later...

Hi All :)

Happy Easter/Happy Holidays...depending on your POV!

Wrote this all once and then lost it!

Here goes again!

The sun is shining, had a light tidy of garage with help from family and neighbours this morning - thanks guys! Surveyed garden and its looking worse for wear as the constant wind and rain have affected the new grass badly - but worse happens at sea. We will have to strim the grass as opposed to mow it as it's very long, but full of moss with bald patches at the bottom (sounds a bit like parts of me!  :mosking: ). Also every time I went out there in the last two months it either started raining, or if wearing my holey jeans, I got bitten 20 or so times by mozzies that had 'gotten in' - that could only happen to me in the depths of winter!    :help:

I have Mr Leyland's RC Class 33 loco to trial :imsohappy:  :yes: , which has been sat here for two weeks awaiting some spare time and better weather. At least the ground is starting to warm up a little now. We sustained some damage to garden infrastructure and our newish bench which has been blown across the garden twice now-incredible!- due to high winds as the layout of the buildings here seems to create a tornado effect. The layout looks intact though and yet along one board we have decided to add a little more - steel - bracing to the underside just to be sure for next winter.

Model-making this winter has been a bit of a dead loss, as swmbo and I have faced the trials, tribulations and roller coaster ride that is the NHS! My better half is awaiting a fairly invasive biopsy (we should have gone last Tuesday - evidently - but the NHS chose not to tell us of the appointment!) as a prelude to a pre-op and another operation on her throat to remove various nasties. Me? Im awaiting tests too - which I was told would be a few weeks, then when I rang last week I was told of a 4-6 months wait! Why? The NHS and NICE wont allow my GP super-surgery to perform them for cost reasons, which is myopic in the extreme as in the medium to long term such tests would save time, money and stress for us all if performed by the local surgery (it would also help the consultant and save time if I need to attend hospital to see a consultant). AND two consultants have retired because if they didnt before April they would not get their full pension....so now they will come back to 'help' the new consultant as overpaid locum consultants! My old cohort and I predicted this of the NHS, twenty years ago.....did tptb listen? What do you think!? To think that at one time I was keen to do a PhD in Organisational Theory, Design and Psychology! Glad I didnt as I would be researching the funny farm from the inside if I had! :onthequiet:  :derisive: Of course the NHS <in a Ben Elton 'a little bit of politics' voice> is being asset stripped and outsourced (privatisation using stealth) and set up for a fall, so as to make privatisation look like a/the better option (a theory based Diocletian's 'false flag' and extreme form of rule, called;- 'Problem, Reaction = Solution') when IPOF it wont, it will just mean more profits for those in ivory towers with the same cr@p at the coalface. Several friends and acquaintances who are practitioners and consultants concur and are really saddened by it all - not to mention it's making their working lives harder than need be! Political rant over now onto big-business and social engineering LOL!.......

Another rant re new computer;- Also I have spent weeks configuring a new PC.....the old one died.....what a chore, it appears that Microflaccid and Appevil et al have moved on from planned obsolescence to enforced obsolescence.....'my new PC has a virus on it - it's called Windows 10! etc etc' .....and my righteous loathing of all things big-computer-business (as they appear to be 'psychopathic organisations' ala the banks and other big businesses these days) grows by the week! :help:  :devil: So I have been sourcing and installing free-ware as much as is possible, mainly out of frustration and as an informal protest. Suffice to say weeks and weeks of spare time (model-making time) has been taken up configuring a really great (discounted - flying machine of a - PC), that Microflaccid and Windows 10 seem adamant on trying to wreck even before I can use it! Nearly all done now though....just a couple of minor tweaks and its finished...until next time LOL!

These hilarious clips of sketches sum it all up, with great insight (there maybe to occasional whooped profanity of excitement from the sheepeople and boiling frogs* in the crowd - so viewer beware [we are amongst friends and all adults] - very funny though as long as one hasnt just bought or is trying to configure and computer et al!);-

And breath......ahhhhhh....I have been gently working on the SM32 loco kit (from the 'to do' pile) and compiling control parts for it, as well as deciding whether to make it RC or Manual control - as it's freelance modelling, which to my mind, requires less thought and research than my 7mm work and can be done in 10-20 minute chunks as I have the time!

Hoping for better weather and time to be able to progress the layout though and the sunshine after the rain (both metaphorical and real) is a real boost in terms of inspiration and wanting to get on with the main project! 

Kindest to all.

ATVB CME :)

* A coy reference to Charles Handy's theory LOL! I would have used the Rage Against the Machine's 'Bullet In Your Head' lyrics but that's way too OTT for a genteel site and perhaps my thread LOL!! The emperor's new clothes also spring readily to mind too!

• Like 1

Hi All, :)

A little bit of pottering in the garden and checking the layout yesterday late afternoon...all seems okay (need to nervously view in more detail in better weather - forever the optimist, re the better weather bit! :mosking: ), got the lawn mown to let air and light in....yet its all pretty mullered, so some feed and seed will help in that area...when/if it ever stops raining. If the new lawn doesnt take (its been two years of it getting hammered by wet winters) then a weed suppression membrane and some gravel, a small circle of slabs and pot with some flowers in it, may be a more energy and time efficient solution - whilst still allowing access to the railway :derisive: .

Rain - and more high winds - stopped any thoughts of play with RC locos today....thinking on such things as RC locos, as my progress on the Cl33s is glacially slow (I'm also concerned that with cab detail that the battery pack location could be an issue :help: - must ask that clever fellow Phill some Q's on the finer points), I may get my chassis for the 'Hall' bolted together, instead, with a view to making that RC too (ie put the batteries in the Tender etc).

I can remember the March of 2002 and the weather was like June weather and we had the basics of the H&BLR up in no time at all-of course the track is un-powered so that helped too- helcyon days indeed! :)  :)  :danced:

Decent photos to follow soon, I promise! :whistle:  :yes:

Kindest to all,

PS;- As an aide memoire, photo herewith, please forgive the quality of the photo and, in regard to the loco - purists please look away now!

Photographs are the copyright of the Author and Photographer 2012-2016

post-11256-0-26106900-1459008698_thumb.jpg

• Like 2