Slater's 4mm wagon kits

Kits from Somerset

As one who models from afar (Canada) one of the great advantages of the Slaters kits was the lack of wheels thus cutting down on shipping weight plus I would have to change them to P4 anyway. Is there any chance that wheels could be optional? Am I correct in thinking there will be a lag time while the wheelless kits get used up?

Cheers,

David

As one who models from afar (Canada) one of the great advantages of the Slaters kits was the lack of wheels thus cutting down on shipping weight plus I would have to change them to P4 anyway. Is there any chance that wheels could be optional? Am I correct in thinking there will be a lag time while the wheelless kits get used up?

Cheers,

David

I can't think of many manufacturers who do supply wheels with kits these days if you ask them not to. Chivers kits come without wheels and Parkside plastic kits can be bought without them when you ask (you get a discount). Cambrian kits also don't contain wheels.

For 1923 vehicles the Parkside mouldings are the better one due to interior detail but the Slaters vehicles predating this are useful for pre war modellers and early BR.

For 1923 vehicles the Parkside mouldings are the better one due to interior detail but the Slaters vehicles predating this are useful for pre war modellers and early BR.

Yes, I'm very glad to know that these will still be available- they've been around a long time (I think about the second wagon kit I ever built aged about 14 in the early 80's was a Slaters Midland Coke wagon) but they still build well- some of my favourite kits

• 2 years later...

I have ordered a few of these from Cooper Craft, and have recently put a Midland Railway box van together.

As Invicta says, they do go together well and very well priced at £7 each. Quality is reasonable too.

They include 00 wheels with the kit, but you can return these or exchange these for EM etc at a show on the Alan Gibson stand for free.

One slight disappointment is the absence of the transfers which at one time they used to come with?

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Archived