GE Photo

Bar Side

Well I'd disagree with the analysis that the picture pre-dates the Great War on the basis that the locomotive on the track behind the "Claud" appears to be a T77 (LNER J19/1) which didn't appear until 1916.  Furthermore (though it's hard to tell given the quality of the reproduction), I'd say that the locomotive to the rear of the left-most line isn't another "Claude (sic) Hamilton", but one of the rebuilt T19 class.

The "top link" locomotives might be polished, but their cab roofs are not the clean white associated with the heyday of GER blue - in fact I think they look more likely to be in black livery, rather than blue.  The freight engines look quite shabby, and there appears to be no sign of the battleship grey of the wartime years.  It's hard to tell if any of the locomotives carry the GER brass number plates.

I'm guessing, but I'm thinking a few years after the end of WW1, perhaps even early post-grouping?

I am also inclined to think it is after the end of WW1. It is certainly after 1916 for the reasons explained before. The livery applied in wartime after 1915 was grey and the GER blue livery was not reintroduced post WW1. These carried GER lettering on the tender, but so far as I can establish no numbering; that being on the brass cab side plate. In the early 1920's, the GER introduced train control and large numbers on the tenders but no lettering. The tender on the D15 looks to have both lettering and numbering and appears to be in a black livery. So this looks like the early LNER livery. So I would think it is early post grouping.

Further to my earlier post on this, in the early LNER period these locos were painted green with the LNER and number on the tender. Lined black livery was used from 1928. The limited quality of the picture does not allow you to be sure whether the D15 is in black or green livery.

I do however have the impression from the Vaccum brake ejector pipe and the position of the elbow at the top right of the smoke box that this loco has an extended smoke box. Those were introduced by the LNER from 1926.

Comparison with other photos in various books does how that the scene is at Peterborough Shed.

Archived