Any experience with Masterpiece Models?

truffy

Other than their second mortgage prices, that is. What is the quality of the models like for those who've seen them at exhibitions? They do claim "museum standards", but then again...marketing! :)

The reason for my question is that I have a fondness for Evening Star that most people would reserve for Jennifer Aniston (although she does come a not-too-distant second!)

Alternatively, there's DJH's offering. At least they're open about the price!

I've heard good and bad, I suppose it depends what you want it for is it to sit in a cabinet or to run on a layout?

If it were me I think I would go for the DJH or a seven models kit with all the refinements from Ragstone Castings and Laurie Griffin.

Or you could wait for the MOK kit to come out.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply!

I've heard good and bad, I suppose it depends what you want it for is it to sit in a cabinet or to run on a layout?
If it were me I think I would go for the DJH or a seven models kit with all the refinements from Ragstone Castings and Laurie Griffin.
Or you could wait for the MOK kit to come out.

What good and bad have you heard? (PM me if you prefer). Currently my plans are for display as I only model OO, but who knows?

On the other hand, FineScaleBrass have a gauge 1 in the offing, which would be better for display and all for the cost of a mere kidney. Who needs two anyway? :)

I have two models from Masterpeice on order, an A3 and another one unspecified. If neither of these models meet my requirements on collection then no money will be handed over. Simple as that. However,some time ago when Mr. Loveless's first models came onto the market he had a stand at York MRS and he showed me the delights of the P2's and A4's he had on show and sale for just over a grand apiece (I think, about seven years ago) After listening to his sales delivery for some time I politely declined his offer to sell me a couple because the wheels happened to be nothing like what emerged from Doncaster works on the prototype and offered that in my humble opinion they did not warrant the price tag. Therefore much protestations and claims followed from the nice gentleman that the wheels originated from the "Plant" works drawings and were, indeed, spot on! Which they were blindingly obviously not. So,being a very affable sort of fellow I offered him £20 each for a P2 and an A4 but unfortunately he turned my generous offer down. Also, I have indeed examined the wheel sets of all the larger scale models of the ex LNER ready to run prototypes available and they all appear to suffer from the same malaise. Remember, the LNER Doncaster locomotive wheels, carrying and driving, are very distinctive, just as the Stanier wheels of the LMS are!  Masterpiece models have,or had, involved an eminent modeller of an indisputable reputation on the research into the A3 build (not Mr. Wright, and no offence intended) and I am quite confident that my investment will be rewarding. Finally I have examined both Masterpiece and Lee Marsh models at very close quarters and I can assure you that both models are to a very high standard. Regards, Serron.  

Is "Mr. Loveless" associated with MM? And if you such an interesting time with MM in the past, why go back?

Therefore much protestations and claims followed from the nice gentleman that the wheels originated from the "Plant" works drawings and were, indeed, spot on!

Sadly a not uncommon scenario.

Just because  a drawing office produces a drawing for a particular part does not mean that the factory actually work to the drawing when producing that part.

I had the same conversation with DJH many years ago in respect of their D20.

A quick glance at a few photographs would prove the error.in the model.

Funnily enough I am going to take a look at a preserved and recently renovated railway building today, where certain replacement parts have been made to the works drawings. Problem? There are two different drawings and it seems that they have used the wrong one. This results in the  parts being perfectly reproduced but wrong for the location.

Bernard

Just because a drawing office produces a drawing for a particular part does not mean that the factory actually work to the drawing when producing that part.

Sorry but I would disagree with this. Railway pattern makers were as skilled in interpreting 'their' DO's drawings as they were at producing patterns. The problem lies in what drawing a model maker can, or is willing, to obtain. Component drawings, where they exist, will always have more detail than a general arrangement. So the model maker may be quite correct in saying that they 'worked from original drawing' it is just that they may not have used the appropriate drawings for some of the components.

Truffy, Mr. Loveless is NOT associated with Masterpiece Models. His products are marketed by L.H.Loveless and Co. as they were when I first came across his products, hence the references to Masterpiece Models and Mr. Loveless as distinctly separate entities.

i.jpg

I apologise for my misunderstanding. It wasn't clear, to one not 'in the know' as it were, where the lines were drawn.

Archived