The North Cornwall line in 2mm Finescale

queensquare

I obviously had a camera but film and processing were expensive so I took very few photos over the day - including none at Bodmin North (cor, I feel very brave saying that in view of who is watching this thread)

Don't worry, I won't tell him (yeah right, honest!). John's not on RMweb (or any Web).

• RMweb Premium
Phil Copleston, on 14 Jan 2017 - 16:51, said:

Here's a 'heads-up' for a rather unique 2mm finescale 'fix' next Saturday 21st January 2017:

For one day only - John Greenwood's superb 2mm finescale layout 'Wadebridge' will be appearing at The John Betjeman Centre (the original Wadebridge station building), Southern Way, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27 7BX. http://www.wadebridge-concern-for-the-aged.co.uk

Not a model railway exhibition, but part of The John Betjeman Centre's event, "Remembering 50 years since the Last Passenger Train from Wadebridge Station" - the last regular passenger train left on 28th January 1967. The Bodmin & Wenford Railway will also be presenting a display, so other railway interest will be there too.

Open 10am - 3pm. Admission will be FREE!

So if you're in the area next Saturday (or travelling from afar) - please call in and see us (John, Jerry and me) and make yourselves known. You will be very welcome!

attachicon.gif03-20160917_155806_001 (1500) (crop).jpg

West Country class No.34007 'Wadebridge' at Wadebridge (minus nameplates) on the Down Atlantic Coast Express (ACE). This one-day event will be held in the real station buildings, as seen here on John's 2mm rendition of this station and famous train! 

And for the Wadebridge station gricers... 

attachicon.gifWadebridge from the footbridge on Molesworth Street, Sep 1968 (Douglas Nicholls, Cornwall Railway Soc.) (enhanced).jpg

This is Wadebridge station looking east from the footbridge on Molesworth Street, September 1968 (Douglas Nicholls, Cornwall Railway Society)

A pedant writes:

It looks like 21C107 in Mr Bulleid's intriguing numbering system and before it had received its name. Maybe a small re-enactment of the naming ceremony at the platform could be called for :yes:

David

• RMweb Premium

Here's a 'heads-up' for a rather unique 2mm finescale 'fix' next Saturday 21st January 2017:

For one day only - John Greenwood's superb 2mm finescale layout 'Wadebridge' will be appearing at The John Betjeman Centre (the original Wadebridge station building), Southern Way, Wadebridge, Cornwall, PL27 7BX. http://www.wadebridge-concern-for-the-aged.co.uk

Not a model railway exhibition, but part of The John Betjeman Centre's event, "Remembering 50 years since the Last Passenger Train from Wadebridge Station" - the last regular passenger train left on 28th January 1967. The Bodmin & Wenford Railway will also be presenting a display, so other railway interest will be there too.

Open 10am - 3pm. Admission will be FREE!

So if you're in the area next Saturday (or travelling from afar) - please call in and see us (John, Jerry and me) and make yourselves known. You will be very welcome!

attachicon.gif03-20160917_155806_001 (1500) (crop).jpg

West Country class No.21C107 (later 34007) 'Wadebridge' at Wadebridge (minus nameplates) on the Down Atlantic Coast Express (ACE). This one-day event will be held in the real station buildings, as seen here on John's 2mm rendition of this station and famous train! 

And for the Wadebridge station gricers... 

attachicon.gifWadebridge from the footbridge on Molesworth Street, Sep 1968 (Douglas Nicholls, Cornwall Railway Soc.) (enhanced).jpg

This is Wadebridge station looking east from the footbridge on Molesworth Street, September 1968 (Douglas Nicholls, Cornwall Railway Society)

[Edit. to correct No.34007 'Wadebridge' to 21C107, as per David Long's post #215. Oops!]

Would absolutely love to see Wadebridge layout at Wadebridge station running 21C107 Wadebridge. Jerry mentioned it last weekend it last weekend at Stevenage show. Once in a lifetime event but well over 500 mile return trip. Sorely tempted...

Would absolutely love to see Wadebridge layout at Wadebridge station running 21C107 Wadebridge. Jerry mentioned it last weekend it last weekend at Stevenage show. Once in a lifetime event but well over 500 mile return trip. Sorely tempted...

That's it in a nutshell - 'Wadebridge' at Wadebridge running 21C107 'Wadebridge'! 

post-14107-0-70544400-1484699603_thumb.jpg

Seen at the recent Uckfield show - Spamcan No.21C107 'Wadebridge' (now with nameplates) departs Wadebridge station on John Greenwood's stunning 2mm finescale 'Wadebridge' layout. [Photo: Adrian Colenutt]

What a unique opportunity! Come and see this very model scene in the original Wadebridge station building - The Betjeman Centre, Wadebridge, Cornwall - this coming Saturday, 21st January - full details in post #203.

Edited by Phil Copleston
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Unsurprisingly, Mr Greenwood's masterpiece proved to be just that. The mature crowds - few were under 60! - seemed suitably enthralled. The running was excellent, the quantity and variety of locos and stock astonishing given that it is virtually all scratchbuilt. The townscape is extremely fetching, and one viewer pointed out that his uncle used to live in that cottage there, while he now lives in a new house approximately where that siding is on the model.

The layout owner spent much time in conversation with his public, while his crew - Queensquare, Phil Coppleston and Maurice H - kept things running. Elsewhere in the room, drivers from the steam era showed photos of themselves in period Wadebridge. Videos were playing, showing how things used to be throughout the Southern's network in North Devon and Cornwall.

Well worth driving a few miles for!

• Like 4

This event was clearly the 'talk of the town'. Well at least the talk of the bus from Bodmin Parkway. Not often that one hears a model railway being discussed on both the journey too and from the exhibition. The expectation of the outward journey was clear fulfilled in the comments made by my fellow travellers on the return journey.

It seems I might be repeating the trip on the 17th June when the layout next appears in Wadebridge, as most of the normal crew are at Jerry's show in Warminster.... I would like to do both, but the opportunity to have another go with "Wadebridge", both 21C107 and the layout. Thanks John for a good day. Sorry my back could not take more than three and a half hours.

Maurice

A pedant writes:

It looks like 21C107 in Mr Bulleid's intriguing numbering system and before it had received its name. Maybe a small re-enactment of the naming ceremony at the platform could be called for :yes:

David, I am sure you know the intriguing numbering was a copy of the system for French steam locos current at the time of construction. Bullied had some links with the French engines who used the following....

C = 0-6-0 ...... as in Q1s

1 = 2 as in 2-6-0 .... so John's green N would have become 1C37

2 = 4 as in 4-6-0 ...... so an Aurthur would be 2Cxx

And 21C as in 4-6-2

And D as in the 0-8-0 Southern Z class........ perhaps there is a question here for Round Britain Quiz!

• Like 1

:locomotive:  :locomotive:

A pedant writes:

David

A pedant writes:

David, I am sure you know the intriguing numbering was a copy of the system for French steam locos current at the time of construction. Bullied had some links with the French engines who used the following....

And 21C as in 4-6-2

And D as in the 0-8-0 Southern Z class........ perhaps there is a question here for Round Britain Quiz!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Maurice Hopper, on 22 Jan 2017 - 06:04, said:

A pedant writes:

And 21C as in 4-6-2

Quite so. Maurice, but it always baffled me why the Pacifics weren't 2C1xxx. The system was also responsible for the Q1s being known as 'Charlies' (as in C for . . .). I first came across this when, many years ago, John Charman wrote an article about his scratchbuild of a Q1 but didn't feel the need to explain the origin of the nickname and I was too stupid to spot the connection! John was apparently encouraged to build one at the insistence of his wife who had been employed as a secretary in the CME's office in the time of Oliver Bulleid and Mrs Charman couldn't understand why the Q1 was deemed to be ugly.

Glad everyone had a good day at Wadebridge.

David

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

This event was clearly the 'talk of the town'. Well at least the talk of the bus from Bodmin Parkway. Not often that one hears a model railway being discussed on both the journey too and from the exhibition. The expectation of the outward journey was clear fulfilled in the comments made by my fellow travellers on the return journey.

It seems I might be repeating the trip on the 17th June when the layout next appears in Wadebridge, as most of the normal crew are at Jerry's show in Warminster.... I would like to do both, but the opportunity to have another go with "Wadebridge", both 21C107 and the layout. Thanks John for a good day. Sorry my back could not take more than three and a half hours.

Maurice

Can I ask what's happening on 17th June?

Can I ask what's happening on 17th June?

Rab,

Not quite sure what Maurice was refering to. But the Warminster Show is on 17th June 2017 - "An Exhibition of Fine Scale Modelling" organised by Mr Queensquare himself (Jerry Clifford) of this parish, and not to be missed! Includes 2mm finescale and S scale modelling, amongst other delights. Jerry tells me I must abandon 2mm for the day and get on with an S scale demo at his "do". Seems I must obay!

More details here: http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/events/14095-MendipModelRailwayGroupExhibition

Edited by Phil Copleston

• RMweb Gold

I'm always in awe of John's work, which all seems to emanate from barely two square feet of a scruffy portable workbench.

There's a lesson in this for all of us - forget all the theorising and just get on and do it.

Mark

• Like 1