Simond

Van built, apron done, some ground cover in place, just need to do the pits now.

F2D523E9-EA21-44D7-B53E-BA56A1E080F4.jpeg.e3097d69014143b175341b13ad3e79be.jpeg

And paint the brake handles, add transfers and weather it!

image.jpg.ad6bc7e701566f54b5a3271b8439f52c.jpg

useful weekend!

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Apron & pit at the rear of the shed done too.

I’d like to fit a typical GW portal crane over the pit here, but I’m not having a lot of luck in finding drawings. I’m aware there is one at Didcot, but initial enquiries have not borne fruit. If anyone has any info, I’d be interested!

image.jpeg.b965988614235c65ac30d8771a1d4a6b.jpeg

atb

Simon

• Like 9

Thanks MissP,

You may be correct, but I would venture that as it's over 75 miles to Oswestry or to Aberystwyth, both of which were so equipped, the putative branch line would be served by big locos and big (named?) trains for the Irish ferry trade, and there would be an allocation of several locos - it doesn't seem too outrageous to me.

They might be a bit big, but it will be a scenic feature at the end of the shed, and it won't be as high as the stationary boiler chimney (see pix of Aberystwyth!) and it would, perhaps, visually balance the coal stage and water tank. 

Thanks for the link to the Warwickshire site.  I feel it will need to be the more modern, steel version if I do go ahead.  Given those dimensions, I might mock up a cardboard version to have a look before committing myself.

cheers

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simon, I know it's not a GWR example but have a look at photos of the shed at Wadebridge. The east end of the shed has a compact set of sheer legs that may be more to the scale you're after. I think they date back to the early 1900s and might give you some inspiration. 

• Like 1

thanks Chris

I rather think, like most things GW, and in particular, most things GJ Churchward, there was a certain house style, which I feel is important to the essential ambience of the model, in our reconstructed age, and to capture this spirit, this deus ex machina, is crucial to the artistic verisimilitude that I, as a struggling artist, am trying to recreate...

I'm looking for details of one like this.  I'd even draw it up and have it etched if I could find some dimensions!

https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/444806

keep well!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Simond said:

thanks Chris

I rather think, like most things GW, and in particular, most things GJ Churchward, there was a certain house style, which I feel is important to the essential ambience of the model, in our reconstructed age, and to capture this spirit, this deus ex machina, is crucial to the artistic verisimilitude that I, as a struggling artist, am trying to recreate...

Or in other words, none of that Southern s$&@

:)

• Funny 2

38 minutes ago, bgman said:

Hi Simon,

I'm certain that a man with your talent and equipment could scratch one ?

Stay safe and well,

G

Cheers Grahame,

I’m confident that I can make a portal crane, probably even a working one if I could be bothered, but without a decent set of dimensions it’s always going to be a. bit tentative.  

I think I’ll try Steam in Swindon, they might have something, or York, of course.

don't hold your breath...

S

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Simond said:

Cheers Grahame,

I’m confident that I can make a portal crane, probably even a working one if I could be bothered, but without a decent set of dimensions it’s always going to be a. bit tentative.  

I think I’ll try Steam in Swindon, they might have something, or York, of course.

don't hold your breath...

S

Simon,

All of the drawings index at the NRM is online.  I *think* this is the correct search option, but if you cannot find anything, I have a couple of friends who volunteers at the NRM, whom I can speak to, to point you in the right direction.  You just need to identify which collection it is in (ie who would have produced the drawings, I am guessing Great Western Railway.

https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rich

thanks again for the pointer.  I tried the website you pointed me to, but it is beyond frustrating, it seems impossible to get to the drawing archive, and is clearly aimed at "pictures", which is fair enough, but it would be nice if it had the drawing archive clearly signposted!!

I will try further, but if your pals can direct me, I would be most grateful

thanks again

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/04/2020 at 13:17, Simond said:

thanks Chris

I'm looking for details of one like this.  I'd even draw it up and have it etched if I could find some dimensions!

https://www.peoplescollection.wales/items/444806

keep well!

Simon

Just trying to set you on the correct LSWR path Simon. :P

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Thanks Chris, you’re on fire tonight!    

Will have a dig.  The bpodmore link looks good, but you might be right about scaling up the Ratio one.

modelling a model...?  I’ll get kicked off WT!  

Keep well!

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Well generally the Ratio kits are based on some prototype, normally GWR biased, and the similarities between the Didcot hoist and the ratio kit seemed too close to be a coincidence. Who knows, could be worth looking at. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are days when you do something, and think, “ok, happy with that”, and there are days when you look at what you’ve done and say “mmm, no, not good enough...”

today was one of the latter

image.jpg.252db6093bbb5e2901b235f780dcd524.jpg

the corners on the coal bunker were not very good.  These are far better, still not as good as I’d like, but a huge improvement.  Coal is glued to a piece of carved foam.  Needs bedding in, as does the shed.

image.jpg.7c12cb540040e1605f008f651e3d7e8f.jpg

Perhaps a touch of colour to the odd brick will add a bit, but I’m much happier with it.

out of interest, I did try feather-edge joints, but as I tried to sand away the back of the lasered sheet, to generate a 45 degree chamfer, the bricks simple broke away, so I think that’s a non-starter.

these are comb-joints, with interlocking bricks, and they’re fiddly, but with a bit of work, can be ok.  

There’s a third option, to simply butt joint the panels and and cut (or laser) the horizontal joins around the corner.  Not tried that approach.  The problem is that the surface of MDF is different in texture to the body, or cut faces.  It’s less absorbent, so the paint looks different.

anyway, this one is a suitable improvement.  The boiler man needs a wheelbarrow...

image.jpg.12bfdae0bee543b8d1d91e8a5878de5f.jpg

and the broken point lever needs replacing!

ATB

Simon

• Like 5