Tilbury Tank Drawings

sej

The Roche series (usual cautions!) drawing M/L/29 attempts to cover the development of the group that began as LTSR 'Intermediates' and were then rebuilt 1907 (still LTSR)  into 'large' form (the 'Tilbury' tank) and then as later modifed in LMS service, largely uniform with the LMS built version of this design. The not uncommon tale of a successful and progressively developed design with endless traps for the unwary if a really accurate model is required...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Two publications I'd recommend are "London, Tilbury & Southend Railway and its Locomotives" (Essery) and Loco Profile 27 "Tilbury Tanks".  The former has many drawings, from dimensioned sketches to reproductions of GA diagrams - not maybe the easiest to build models from, but useful for checking the accuracy of other drawing.  LP27 contains the usual colour centre spread side and end elevations, again not the ideal, but also has a lot of useful information about these locomotives.

(See also PM).

• Like 1

As usual, excellent information and kind offers from everyone, thankyou all very much!

So, can anyone tell me the current where-abouts of the preserved loco, it's all a bit vaque on the internet?

Cheers

Simon

Yes, "Thundersley" was at Bressingham in 2009 (below) when its centenary passed unremarked, and remains there.  Not ideally placed, a mixture of daylight and fluorescent lighting (hence the flare), but an iconic locomotive all the same.

post-10122-0-75272600-1386785254_thumb.jpg

Hint to the RTR manufacturers - this would be a very popular prototype!

• Like 2

Those photos are beautiful Stewart, thankyou for sharing them. She's a fantastic looking engine. I wasn't aware that she had steamed at Bressingham. Do you know what mechanical condition she's in now?

Cheers

Simon

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

These drawings by Ian Beattie in the August 1982 issue of Railway Modeller are repeated in Railway Modeller for January 2018. The drawings have stood the test of time - this is 35 years later. The only 'trouble' about this is that I remember the August 1982 issue! I was impressed by these tank engines, and still hanker after someone producing them rtr for OO The new issue has, I'm pretty sure, different - and rather better - photographs of the LT&SR 4-4-2 Tilbury tank locos than were in the August 1982 article.

I came across this thread the other day, and really like the photographs appearing above - they show well the impressive size, yet gracefulness, of these locomotives.

John S

• RMweb Premium

Those photos are beautiful Stewart, thankyou for sharing them. She's a fantastic looking engine. I wasn't aware that she had steamed at Bressingham. Do you know what mechanical condition she's in now?

Cheers

Simon

Yes, very interesting photos. I also did not know 'Thundersley' had steamed in preservation, I would be interested to know in what year the photos were taken, I'd understood the boiler and firebox were no longer capable of being steamed.

Dava

Yes, very interesting photos. I also did not know 'Thundersley' had steamed in preservation, I would be interested to know in what year the photos were taken, I'd understood the boiler and firebox were no longer capable of being steamed.

She was in steam when I visited in 1970 giving footplate rides up and down the yard.

Please be very very careful of any of these drawings. There are several different varieties of these locos with some very subtle variations. I have just done some etches of a 39 class for a client and found that no two drawings agreed on dimensions. Bob Essery's book is an essential reference for a decent result.

Nick